Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RILEYISMYNAME

Apple’s Reckoning Has Come.

10 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

That's a bit harsh.  I mean, not necessarily in accurate, but a bit harsh. He's a buggy repairman in an age of cars. I appreciate his position...I even appreciate the point of view he brings...but the way's held up as some sort of...prophet...is ridiculous.

From what I've seen his standards are fairly poor and he probably has a lot of repeat customers from botched repairs. Didn't the bike he built explode fairly recentlt becuase of shoddy workmanship? 

Some points: 

I appreciate Linus FINALLY mentioning at the very end of the video that Floatplane has had issues with the App store, BUT, 1)  Said BIAS really should have been mentioned at the start of what is an opinion piece, and 2) calling Floatplane a "sister company" to LTT/LMG is a bit burying the lede...as Riley posted this thread, I guess that means he wrote it, and for him, that's where the bias is, but for @LinusTech, he's the OWNER of the company...that's a level of financial interest that affects every word he says on this issue. (On a personal note, maybe Linus as the head of what wants to be a serious technology information news source, and LMG in general as what wants to be a serious technology news source, maybe should stop using donald trump's gaff as a nickname for Tim Cook. It's not the best look.)

I agree should have been at the start of the video as a massive disclaimer. "I own a company that has a vested interest in Epic winning" is a massive conflict of interest and even though Riley wrote it Linus signs off on it. Didn't know about the Tim Cook thing, just thought it was a stupid thing they'd thought up because why have software that actually works when you can have Windows 10.

As for other app stores. I don't see that going anywhere.  You're not entitled to enter a marketplace just because you want to. You can't set up a stall in your local mall, you can't open a both at a farmers market., you techically can't put a table selling lemonade on the street, just because you think you're entitled to it. I've seen arguments in other threads like "if you don't sell in the Apple store, you're cut off from x%", but again, where does this idea you're just allowed access come from? It's their mall. There are plenty of other malls you can go sell at, but this one is theirs.

Epic tried to make their own app store on android but essentially they found out that building one without holding AAA games hostage was too hard so they gave up. In my opinion the lawsuit should be thrown out as frivolous because epic trade on markets with the same terms as the app store and haven't kicked up a fuss (PSN and XBL), sue all of them or none of them.

An aside, on the policies...blame scammers. I list an app for free (no revenue to Apple for app purchases, no rent in the Apple store), then just sell in-app purchases...well, if there's no money taken from those, then you're just making money off Apple's service for nothing. I doubt a legal ruling against apple on this will be the boon people think it will be...instead, I see the end of free apps with IAP and instead a return to "light but free" apps and "full paid" ones.

TBH I preferred when you just paid £1-2 an app rather than getting bombarded by ads and microtransactions.

Regarding all the "but Apple changes things for xxxx" comments in the video, I ask..so what? Life isn't fair. Doesn't make things illegal. Netflix as a service brings value to the platform. Amazon as a service brings value to the platform. That value gives them room to negotiate. Apple didn't see Epic/Fortnite bringing value to make deals with them. Maybe short sitedness on Apple's part...maybe they just don't like Tim Sweeny...maybe Sweeny isn't the chessmaster here with plans and counter plans, but instead he's dancing to Apple's tune...thing about legal rulings..they eliminate grey areas for all sides and lots of people operate in grey areas until they're gone, and I'm a bit more confident in the legal advice Apple has than Epic.

It's fairly common to have exceptions for large clientele, I don't get the issue either. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Rossman is a fraud, a poor technician and just a little bit stupid

If Rossmann was a fraud he wouldn't have a business, and he's certainly a better tech than whatever the company is that Apple sends broken stuff to.

And you're clearly biased for a brand to the point you're calling someone stupid.

51 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

From what I've seen his standards are fairly poor and he probably has a lot of repeat customers from botched repairs.

Citation needed.

51 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Didn't the bike he built explode fairly recentlt becuase of shoddy workmanship? 

I don't see what them having an accident with their personal bike has to do with the repairs they make daily on laptops which has nothing to do with an e-bike.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If Rossmann was a fraud he wouldn't have a business, and he's certainly a better tech than whatever company Apple sends broken stuff to.

And you're clearly biased for a brand to the point you're calling someone stupid.

So he's a better tech than people you don't know anything about from a company who doesn't actually send anyone out you have to get a ticket and get the hardware to them. Why is that? Because a big name = Good?  https://www.beatsbydre.com/uk/headphones

Apple certainly do things wrong (iPhone 4, 6 and the butterfly keyboard for example), but with what Rossman claims you'd expect apple stores to be replacing half their demo units a day due to hardware failure. He exaggerates on frequency of occurrence,  he exaggerates the magnitude of faults and more importantly he doesn't actually fault find he just takes out a component and replaces it for it to blow again when whatever situation caused it to blow repeats itself. Suddenly he has one customer coming back several times because "apple doesn't design products correctly" and "this happens all the time", no mate you just scam people out of money. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?