3600Mhz cl18 vs 3200 cl16?

Chizhek
Just now, Chizhek said:

3600Mhz cl18 vs 3200 cl16?

What to buy....both RAMs are from CORSAIR

Those two speeds + latencies together have the same real life speed.

I would go with the cheaper set.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depends on the CPU, mostly i'd say go for the cheaper, but when it's about ryzen, then take the 3600MHz kit.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

If you have a Ryzen CPU,

• There is no guarantee that the 3600 kit will run at 3600, but you could always drop the speed and edit the timings to get similiar results to the 3200 kit.
  • Check the timings, if one has odd numbers, get the other. Ryzen doesn't always play nice with odd numbered timings for whatever reason.

Otherwise they will perform similiarly, and I would just get whatever one is cheaper.

Go with 3600 CL16 instead ;)  it usually isn't that much more.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Depends on the CPU, mostly i'd say go for the cheaper, but when it's about ryzen, then take the 3600MHz kit.

Yes. But no.

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Those two speeds + latencies together have the same real life speed.

I would go with the cheaper set.

This ^.

Latency of 3600 CL18 is 10 ns.

Latency of 3200 CL16 is 10 ns.

The 3600 won't be any better for Ryzen than the 3200 in this case.

Because they are essentially the same and the rest is marketing bullshit to make you think "higher number = more faster/better".

Now if the 3600 was CL16, that would be another story, because then you get a latency of 8.88 ns. This, would be better. But 3200 CL14, would also be better than even that, at 8.75 ns.

(The lower the latency, the "faster" it is)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Chizhek said:

I have i9 9900k 😃 i am Intel all the way xD😂

Take the cheapest, bargain bin, RAM possible. Literally doesn't matter for Intel.

(Well, no, it does somewhat, but not as much as with Ryzen, wouldn't affect your gaming performances much, if at all. Even more so if you limit yourself to the two identical choices in terms of latency that you've mentioned)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Chizhek said:

i am Intel all the way

cheapest, both will have the same latency. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Yes. But no.

This ^.

Latency of 3600 CL18 is 10 ns.

Latency of 3200 CL16 is 10 ns.

The 3600 won't be any better for Ryzen than the 3200 in this case.

Because they are essentially the same and the rest is marketing bullshit to make you think "higher number = more faster/better".

Now if the 3600 was CL16, that would be another story, because then you get a latency of 8.88 ns. This, would be better. But 3200 CL14, would also be better than even that, at 8.75 ns.

(The lower the latency, the "faster" it is)

Isnt there a thing with ryzen chips and the infinity fabric clocking higher when combined with the 3600MHz kit and thus again lower system latency?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Isnt there a thing with ryzen chips and the infinity fabric clocking higher when combined with the 3600MHz kit and thus again lower system latency?

It depends. Both are necessary. But latency is usually what gives more system performance.

Raw clock speed over latency is mostly good for speeds up to about 3200. Past that, you hit a point of diminishing returns and the performances difference is so minimal with our current tech(maybe with next gen ryzen?), that it may as well just be a rounding error and you're better off simply getting whichever is more affordable.

3600 is technically the current "sweet spot" with Zen2 (due to price and what not), but considering they both have the same latency but different clock speed, there might be something like, 1, maybe 2 fps difference in some games. Nothing to cry about. Hence the "go with whichever is cheaper".

In the case of OP, they got Intel, so they may as well just be running 2133 RAM if they wanted.