Need help choosing how to do my RGB

Owlman

I am buying parts for my upcoming build and I am having some trouble when it comes to choosing components that have RGB. I will be using the RGB control to just have them be one color, most likely white.

Currently I have these components:

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR edition

PSU: Corsair RM1000x

RAM: 32gb (4x8) Gskill Trident Neo

Components I'm considering:

• AIO: Considering the EK 360 AIO, I'm not sure if I want to the vardar fans.

• Fans: I have considered Noctua Chromax fans with Phanteks Halos but I read that some people are having problems especially with the blue channel that causes all other colors to change, which makes me want to stay away from that. Maybe I can go for some Corsair fans, EK vardars or something completely different idk. 

• RGB strips: Really want to use the Phanteks Neon strips as they just look amazing. Don't know if there are other brands that do the same thing.

Is there an easy solution to control these components as simply as possible?

Other components that I plan to have in this build is one of the upcoming AMD cpu's and an RTX 3080 (maybe the FE)

My goal with this post is finding out how to not end up with a ton of software to control different RGB components in my system, and still have the aesthetics I want. Although I understand that I probably can't control all of it from one place, but I don't want one program or controller per component.

This post turned out to be a lot messier that I had planned, sorry about that.

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

On 9/15/2020 at 4:51 AM, Owlman said:

I am buying parts for my upcoming build and I am having some trouble when it comes to choosing components that have RGB. I will be using the RGB control to just have them be one color, most likely white.

Currently I have these components:

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR edition

PSU: Corsair RM1000x

RAM: 32gb (4x8) Gskill Trident Neo

Components I'm considering:

• AIO: Considering the EK 360 AIO, I'm not sure if I want to the vardar fans.

• Fans: I have considered Noctua Chromax fans with Phanteks Halos but I read that some people are having problems especially with the blue channel that causes all other colors to change, which makes me want to stay away from that. Maybe I can go for some Corsair fans, EK vardars or something completely different idk. 

• RGB strips: Really want to use the Phanteks Neon strips as they just look amazing. Don't know if there are other brands that do the same thing.

Is there an easy solution to control these components as simply as possible?

Other components that I plan to have in this build is one of the upcoming AMD cpu's and an RTX 3080 (maybe the FE)

My goal with this post is finding out how to not end up with a ton of software to control different RGB components in my system, and still have the aesthetics I want. Although I understand that I probably can't control all of it from one place, but I don't want one program or controller per component.

This post turned out to be a lot messier that I had planned, sorry about that.

well first question is what is your mb? dose it have rgb/argb? if so can you uses the mb software to control the ram? then i would build the system around that.

second sound like you want one solder color but all the parts that you think of getting are all argb

third what rgb/argb components will  matter  because some of it has there own propriety connector and will have to use there controller / software (unless your ok at modding soldering, buy adapters) 

some argb/rgb software will work with each other and some wont. welcome to the hell of rgb.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/15/2020 at 7:43 PM, thrasher_565 said:

well first question is what is your mb? dose it have rgb/argb? if so can you uses the mb software to control the ram? then i would build the system around that.

second sound like you want one solder color but all the parts that you think of getting are all argb

third what rgb/argb components will  matter  because some of it has there own propriety connector and will have to use there controller / software (unless your ok at modding soldering, buy adapters) 

some argb/rgb software will work with each other and some wont. welcome to the hell of rgb.

I don't have my motherboard yet, but it will likely be an Asus mb. What I'm thinking right now, is to have top and bottom intake (Noctua Chromax fans) in my O11 Dynamic and exhaust on the side with 3 Corsair QL120 fans controlled with a commander pro. And for the Phanteks Neon strips I can get adapter cables so that it can work with the commander pro. Might need a lighting node thingy as well depending on the amount of LED strips.

I think this will look quite good and then I only need icue and probably Asus Aura for the RAM.

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

2 hours ago, Owlman said:

I don't have my motherboard yet, but it will likely be an Asus mb. What I'm thinking right now, is to have top and bottom intake (Noctua Chromax fans) in my O11 Dynamic and exhaust on the side with 3 Corsair QL120 fans controlled with a commander pro. And for the Phanteks Neon strips I can get adapter cables so that it can work with the commander pro. Might need a lighting node thingy as well depending on the amount of LED strips.

I think this will look quite good and then I only need icue and probably Asus Aura for the RAM.

ya i think only corsair ram works with there icue so you will need to programs.

the commander pro and node are the same but the commander also has temp, pwm fan controller and internal usb spliter were as the node only has 2 led ports.

ya there are cables to use stander 2+1 pin to corsair and i think the neo comes with an adapter from jst-sm to 2+1

there's also an adapter to use your corsair hub on an 2+1 mb header if you just wanted to use the asus software. no idea how it would work thow no guaranty.

mWUpE8k.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i think only corsair ram works with there icue so you will need to programs.

the commander pro and node are the same but the commander also has temp, pwm fan controller and internal usb spliter were as the node only has 2 led ports.

ya there are cables to use stander 2+1 pin to corsair and i think the neo comes with an adapter from jst-sm to 2+1

there's also an adapter to use your corsair hub on an 2+1 mb header if you just wanted to use the asus software. no idea how it would work thow no guaranty.

mWUpE8k.jpg

I can always return something if it doesn't work (60 day returns are great). They really need to figure out this RGB hell and establish some proper standards that companies can follow to make it easier for consumers.

Desktop Rig:

8 hours ago, Owlman said:

I can always return something if it doesn't work (60 day returns are great). They really need to figure out this RGB hell and establish some proper standards that companies can follow to make it easier for consumers.

ya some companies do it  like corsair as they want you to buy all corsair products. thermaltake at lests you can pay extra to use there fans on standerd 2+1 connector. coolermaster kinda used standard but there stuff is junk and broken. no to mentchen that rgb strips were used in rooms and houses before pc and they had a standard jst-sm connector. then you got the stuff from china that do w/e they want add in to the mix.

as far as software there no accuses. i don't under stand the software side. they probably have backdoor and sell your data.

back in the good old day there were bata testers now we are the testers....

Edited by thrasher_565

Stick with one ecosystem if you can.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>