Clear the ram

Is there a way to clear the ram without a restart or closing the program down? My fans are driving me crazy and yes I do have lots (120+) of chrome tab and other window chrome open and for convenience I can not really close them. But I'd like to clear the ram of them. 

Like on your phone where you still keep all the tabs when you swipe up to finish the phone? Something similiar? I don't want to go restore as it is highly unreliable and ctr-shift-t 50 times and then find where you left your things your working on is really hard. And will open new/old tabs just to check stuff on it but won't need afterward but very unconvenient to go back if I close it.

Edited by We Didnt_t start_the_fire
Clarify in second paragraph

You can't "clear the ram" while keeping the tabs open. Chrome doesn't load tabs until you go to them but once they're loaded they're loaded.

RAM use has no effect on fans.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

My fans are driving me crazy and yes I do have lots (120+) of chrome tab and other window chrome open and for convenience I can not really close them. But I'd like to clear the ram of them. 

"clearing your RAM" won't change the speed at which your fans are spinning.

If your fans are spinning faster than usual and making more noise then it is likely that something in your system is running hot. I would guess with 120+ Chrome tabs open it's also using a significant chunk of CPU resources as well, causing the CPU to run hotter and the fans to spin faster to try and cool it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Are you trolling? I mean 120 Chrome tabs? Why?!

CPU: Intel Core i7 8086K, Delidded with Der8auer Custom Nickel-Copper IHS and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra CPU Cooling: Scythe Ninja 5 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 3200 MHz 15-17-17-36 GPU: Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix GS with Raijintek Morpheus II Core Black Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste and 2x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG4T Pure Black TG Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate ST4000DM 4TB HDD, Toshiba HDWD240 4TB HDD PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W Case Cooling: 6x Scythe Kaze Flex PWM 120mm fans Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard Mouse: Trust GXT845 Tural Display: Sharp LC-50LD265E Operating System: Windows 10

Just now, H6NS said:

Habits, I like to have everyting I need handy or to do pre-tabbed. Gandoff won't get it.

For fans

1) clean pc from dust

2) change fan performance to silent on BIOS

3) check if something is ruining on the background.

It's you have inactive trans on chrome, they don't really use ram

Then check your temps and if you have enough headroom adjust your fan curves, but you're going to have to live with the CPU usage.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

"clearing your RAM" won't change the speed at which your fans are spinning.

If your fans are spinning faster than usual and making more noise then it is likely that something in your system is running hot. I would guess with 120+ Chrome tabs open it's also using a significant chunk of CPU resources as well, causing the CPU to run hotter and the fans to spin faster to try and cool it.

Yes it is, albeit I already underclocked it and no difference so far. I am guessing it just keep refreshing it because their shouldn't be something runnign necessarily. I do tend to open each email in it's own tab. 

2 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

For fans

1) clean pc from dust

2) change fan performance to silent on BIOS

3) check if something is ruining on the background.

It's you have inactive trans on chrome, they don't really use ram

They don't reload when I open them, so they are active in the backgroud.

12 minutes ago, H6NS said:

what's unbelievable about it? I sometimes have over 200 tabs opened and I know some people that have even more than twice as much 

Your RAM usage has nothing to do with the fan speed 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

what's unbelievable about it? I sometimes have over 200 tabs opened and I know some people that have even more than twice as much 

Your RAM usage has nothing to do with the fan speed 

I usually have more, but become too much to manage so try to slime it down. Anyway, the cpu usasge over chrome is high, I am guessing it keeps refreshing them or something for some reason the cpu usage for chrome is very high.

Chrome reduces CPU usage of background tabs, but when you have 120 open even 0.5% per tab will end up using 60% of your CPU, plus the foreground one on each window that can use several % each...

F@H

GPD Win 2

Learn to use bookmarks. Ctrl+Shift+O  for Bookmarks manager, Ctrl+Shift+B for bookmarks bar (you can put your tabs in bookmark folders and then have those folders on the bookmarks bar)

You can bookmark stuff you don't access so often and close it. 

Websites often have Javascript stuff that runs in background or idles waiting for you to do some stuff... a single page doesn't use a lot of cpu but when you get to 120, those minute cpu usage percentages add up.

You may also have some rogue tab consuming some cpu, holding that core at higher frequencies than others (javascript is sort of single thread, so a tab will mostly use one core)

The javascript engine allocates some ram for each tab, regardless if the page has barely any javascript or a lot of javascript... that also adds up. 

2 hours ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Habits, I like to have everyting I need handy or to do pre-tabbed. Gandoff won't get it.

Bookmarks and bookmark folders, using these correctly will vastly improve your speed of access.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 hours ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

They don't reload when I open them, so they are active in the backgroud.

have you open them all?. Chrome knows what you use most and keeps it open, the others will stay inactive and reload

Thanks all for the replys, seems there is not too much of a solution insight other than reduce them or moving then to another browser.

@PeachGrI don't open them all but I do switch between them often to get to the tab I need. When I can find it at the end that is.

@NineEyeRon Bookmark very full, not even worth re-organizing if I don't have a full day.

@mariushm Thanks for the info