SoftBank to sell Arm Holdings to Nvidia; Update: It was just officially announced!

EJMB

Update (9/14/2020):

SoftBank will receive $12 billion in cash, including $2 billion paid to Arm at signing, and $21.5 billion in Nvidia stock. Another $5 billion will be paid to SoftBank in cash or stock if certain Arm financial targets are met, while $1.5 billion in Nvidia shares will be issued to Arm employees.

SoftBank and the Vision Fund will end up with a stake of between 6.7% and 8.1% stake in Nvidia.

----------------------------------------------

SoftBank is set to sell the UK's Arm Holdings to US chip company Nvidia for more than 40 Billion US dollars and it will be a matter of a cash-and-stock takeover. This may be announced as soon as Monday and will make SoftBank will become the largest shareholder in the US chip company.

"For Nvidia, which recently overtook Intel to become the world's most valuable chipmaker, the deal will further consolidate the US company's position at the centre of the semiconductor industry. The British chip designer's technology is starting to find broader applications beyond mobile devices, in data centres and personal computers including Apple's Macs.
Arm would transform Nvidia's product line-up, which until now has largely focused on the high end of the chips market. Its powerful graphics processors - which are designed to handle focused, data-intensive tasks - are typically sold to PC gamers, scientific researchers and developers of artificial intelligence and self-driving cars, as well as cryptocurrency miners."

The fear of the possibility of a large conglomerate corporation like Nvidia will have too much control in the industry (or any company in any industry) is one that I'm sure a lot of people will be concerned about.
This might not be good moving forward.

Sources

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/SoftBank2/SoftBank-set-to-sell-UK-s-Arm-Holdings-to-Nvidia-for-40bn

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/SoftBank2/SoftBank-reaches-40bn-deal-to-sell-Arm-to-US-chipmaker-Nvidia

Edited by EJMB

Still no hope of NVIDIA GPUs coming back to the Mac since Apple is making their own using TBDR process. I don't think this is going to affect the chip development for the likes of Qualcomm, Apple, Samsung and TSMC.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Still no hope of NVIDIA GPUs coming back to the Mac since Apple is making their own using TBDR process. I don't think this is going to affect the chip development for the likes of Qualcomm, Apple, Samsung and TSMC.

If Nvidia is smart they will continue business like usual with ARM. People will pay licensing and they will make money.  What Id be interested in is what they can do for ARM. Nvidia has some smart cookies working for them, so it will be interesting in what the future brings. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

From what I've heard it's an "early agreement" for 40B USD...not necessarily a confirmation, and also possibly subject to various regulators.

That being said, nigh on everyone watching the industry has been saying NVDA stock is one of the few that would probably weather the inevitable corrections fairly well...doesn't seem to be an end to their growth spurt...they put out good product and charge medium to top dollar for it....now if only they would stop being so annoying with their different SKUs.

4 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

they put out good product and charge medium to top dollar for it....now if only they would stop being so annoying with their different SKUs.

Yeah they make good products, it seems to be their marketing department that makes questionable decisions, as seems the case for more and more companies these days. 

They sense the future is ARM. They can be the next Intel.

Now we have 3 way CPU-GPU manufacturer.

Intel - Xe

AMD - Radeon

Nvidia ARM - GTX

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Maybe it's all a 5D chess move. Once they bought ARM, they'll stop selling license to Apple unless Apple include their GPU.

giphy.gif

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

With how much the company has grown, I hope it doesn't cost Nvidia an ARM and a leg

Im sorry

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

Maybe it's all a 5D chess move. Once they bought ARM, they'll stop selling license to Apple unless Apple include their GPU.

giphy.gif

And isn't Apple like a founder of ARM? They could have some benefits from that

Cool but does that mean I will get a nintendo RTX?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Apple was the first company approached to buy ARM, they turned down the offer. If there was any concern from them about someone owning ARM taking away their ability to use it, they'd have bought it themselves to secure the rights.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If Nvidia is smart they will continue business like usual with ARM.

I sincerely hope not. From an economical point of view are ARM not doing good.  Just the vast that SoftBank bought ARM for $31bn and not selling it after 4 years for "only" $40bn says a lot. That is less then 10% per year and not acceptable for an investment.

I hope that Nvidia stats to make changes in the company but even in the design part.  Nvidia should be able to help boosting the GFX preformance.

13 minutes ago, Kroon said:

I sincerely hope not. From an economical point of view are ARM not doing good.  Just the vast that SoftBank bought ARM for $31bn and not selling it after 4 years for "only" $40bn says a lot. That is less then 10% per year and not acceptable for an investment.

I hope that Nvidia stats to make changes in the company but even in the design part.  Nvidia should be able to help boosting the GFX preformance.

I still can't understand how can your tech be present in 99% of mobile devices and yet you're not doing well.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I still can't understand how can your tech be present in 99% of mobile devices and yet you're not doing well.

Making bad deals, selling your designs to cheap, poor licensing model etc etc...   Just the fact that so many uses it might be because it's to cheap.

2 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Making bad deals, selling your designs to cheap, poor licensing model etc etc...   Just the fact that so many uses it might be because it's to cheap.

Or because it's proven tech and there is a lot of software ready to be bolted on top, aka Android?

25 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually not just android, AFAIK debian and ubuntu already running on arm and most of their repositories are recompiled for it.

And now also MacOS and also Windows 10 ARM...

I really would love to see both high end, server grade ARM CPUs from nvidia, with NVLINK built into it as the likes of POWER, along with nicer embedded solutions like the Jetson, but at lower price points.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually not just android, AFAIK debian and ubuntu already running on arm and most of their repositories are recompiled for it.

Most distros support AARCH64 already :) And so do many of the BSDs.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It is doing well, but it has stagnated. The most important thing for investors is how much a company can grow so they can reap the profits quickly. For a tech giant for nvidia, ARM would be a nice technical asset instead of just a big pile of money, pretty much like their purchase of mellanox.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

13 hours ago, JoseGuya said:

And isn't Apple like a founder of ARM?

Ummm. NO. Apple just licenses tech from ARM. Not sure what portions of ARM Apple uses, but they use a portion and pretty much have designed their own CPU. 

5 hours ago, Kroon said:

Business as usual meaning they are still Listening and not being A holes with pricing. Because if they start being A holes, then the big bad government gets involved and bad things can happen. Also keep in mind, I dont really think Nvidia is buying ARM so they can make a ton of money. I think they are buying them because they think they can do better. They know that ARM is the future of mobile computing, so they want to be at the forefront of this. 

I think the main goal of Nvidia  with ARM is to boost it with their own developers and then deliver servers that is only ARM and Nvidia GPUs.

Also, knowing Apple, their licensing agreement with ARM for patents and stuff is probably some sort of life long deal.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

31 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Business as usual meaning they are still Listening and not being A holes with pricing.

Remember they have changed their licensing model due to poor profitability.  New licensing make it's even cheaper to start up a new businesses adventure while companies like Samsung will pay much more in the future.  Short term this will probably increase their profitability but once the big companies start to phase out ARM there is no going back.

1 minute ago, Kroon said:

but once the big companies start to phase out ARM there is no going back.

Thats the thing. ARM is the future of mobile. Phones, Tablets, and much more will continue to use ARM for years and years. There is no Phase out. Nvidia sees that ARM is going to become a huge thing in the future. If anything you're going to see more ARM devices. Microsoft has been pushing Windows. First they had the Surface RT, which didn't do well, their Windows Phones, which again didn't do well, now they have a Surface Tablet that is ARM, but offers the ability to run some x86 Apps. I mean look at Apple, they have effectively told Intel to pound sand and are now going to use their own ARM CPU's to build their computers. ARM is here to stay.