Why I will buy a 3080 despite whatever AMD may have to offer?

First, let me share a bit of my most recent journey, slowly but surely I have upgraded my hardware, the full pack, M.2, 32 Gigs of RAM, Ryzen 3800x, 80+ Titanium Power supply, you feel me. 

I had a GTX 1060 for ages, I have not found anything better to record than Nvidia's Shadow play, nothing is as stable, but then I went to upgrade for AMD's 5700XT, flickering gameplay, Adrenalin not keeping your settings, it was a long process to finally getting it just right. It works but the experience has been less than pleasant. 

Little extras that will have a value for me like RTX voice, or whatever the name is now, Shadow play, and mostly stability right out of the box is something worthed. I was really hoping for AMD to put some pressure in the GPU market but  the Radeon RX 6000 series will be revealed on October 28 that is far away compared to Green Team's, in addition to that to a normy consumer like me it feels like lack of confidence from AMD to compete, by then Nvidia will probably have the game ready drivers for Cyberpunk 2077, AMD had not bring anything to the table to even sway my perception of the quality of their GPU drivers. 

Nvidia will probably slap us with some kind of Super and/or TI variants, but I believe the 3080 will be good to me, like my dear 1060 was, years of stability and nothing but good memories, my experience with the 5700XT made me missed my loyal 1060 more times that I can count. 

I however will gladly eat my words if AMD bring something amazing with Big Navi, but even if they do, they have converted me in a Green Team player, and I do not even like green. 

Edited by TecZoon
Just a grammar mistake.

im hoping that just the announcement of a kickass amd card will get a 3080ti or whatever out the door in time for cyberpunk. if the 3080 had 12 gb vram or if the 3070 had 10 then id try to get one on launch but they dont :( 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

im hoping that just the announcement of a kickass amd card will get a 3080ti or whatever out the door in time for cyberpunk. if the 3080 had 12 gb vram or if the 3070 had 10 then id try to get one on launch but they dont :( 

This mindset is also kind of a problem for amd tho. If the only reason for them to put out cards is so people can buy Nvidia cards for cheaper or make Nvidia push out a better value card then why bother? If all their effort is to just make Nvidia a better option for consumers to buy then why keep releasing stuff if that is all their purpose is in the consumers eye. It's kinda shown with the 5700xt. Could they have made a more powerful card? Probably. But why bother?

Even when they were the better choice or did have a better card people didn't buy them. So eventually they kinda stopped aiming for the high end and focused on the area where sales still take place.

1 minute ago, VeganJoy said:

I wish you the best of luck!

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This mindset is also kind of a problem for amd tho. If the only reason for them to put out cards is so people can buy Nvidia cards for cheaper or make Nvidia push out a better value card then why bother? If all their effort is to just make Nvidia a better option for consumers to buy then why keep releasing stuff if that is all their purpose is in the consumers eye. It's kinda shown with the 5700xt. Could they have made a more powerful card? Probably. But why bother?

Even when they were the better choice or did have a better card people didn't buy them. So eventually they kinda stopped aiming for the high end and focused on the area where sales still take place.

AMD has to be the better option if they wan to compete, if the best they can do is make Nvida better, then there is no reason for us to consider them. 

Just now, TecZoon said:

AMD has to be the better option if they wan to compete, if the best they can do is make Nvida better, then there is no reason for us to consider them. 

Thing is in the past they have had better options. Hell the rx580 when not absurdly priced was the better option to the 1060 (when also not absurdly priced) for gaming. Yet it simply sold worse (same for the rx480). The rx570 was also priced at the pricepoint of a lot of 1050ti's but was simply better. Looking further back there were plenty of cards that were just better or cheaper and still nvidia was on top.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Thing is in the past they have had better options. Hell the rx580 when not absurdly priced was the better option to the 1060 (when also not absurdly priced) for gaming. Yet it simply sold worse (same for the rx480). The rx570 was also priced at the pricepoint of a lot of 1050ti's but was simply better. Looking further back there were plenty of cards that were just better or cheaper and still nvidia was on top.

The RX580 was and is NOT better than the 1060-6GB, they are very similar, pretty much a tie, AMD release date was way after Nvidea's, people had been using the Nvidia card for months before AMD had even release theirs, there is no reason to buy a new card that may be cheaper if you have already something with basically the same performance that has been working for months. No one will spend money for the same performance just because it is cheaper if you already have it, is like buying a plain ticket, you get from a to b right now, or you do the same trip months later for a bit cheaper, some will wait, some want to travel right now. Be better right at the same time or before, being cheaper later is a second place guarantee, things are always cheaper later, AMD is on a loosing strategy, to top it off, their drivers SUCK!

10 minutes ago, TecZoon said:

The RX580 was and is NOT better than the 1060-6GB, they are very similar, pretty much a tie

Wins by around 10fps on rdr2

580 wins in most games.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

AMD have not beaten out nvidia in the high end in many, many generations. AMD has not done anything worthwhile for the high end in so very long, there is nothing to suggest this gen will be any different. They aren't playing to win and consumers can tell.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

2 hours ago, Scase said:

AMD have not beaten out nvidia in the high end in many, many generations. AMD has not done anything worthwhile for the high end in so very long, there is nothing to suggest this gen will be any different. They aren't playing to win and consumers can tell.

Famous last words.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

On a more serious note, yeah seems like that's a pretty rough experience and I won't blame you for going green after having that bad taste in your mouth.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Famous last words.

I've got years of history on my side, not much of a hot take lol.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

5 hours ago, Scase said:

I've got years of history on my side, not much of a hot take lol.

Yeah it's just how it is. They stopped after people didn't buy their stuff and did some half assed attempts.

11 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Wins by around 10fps on rdr2

580 wins in most games.

So, If I already bought a video card 5 months ago, I should buy another one to get 7 frames per second more just because it is cheaper? NO, if they wanted to be even considered by clients like me they should have release it at the same time as the 1060. In addition to that the experience with AMD GPUs is subpar to Nvidea's, I am a normy, I had to learn about undervolting, getting the drivers to install without the crappy Adrenalin software that does not hold the settings no matter what I did, I had to learn how to use afterburner and Kumbostor and to troubleshoot afterburner because the fan settings makes your monitors flicker like christmas. To close, I will really get value of shadowplay and RTX voice, even if they come up with something slightly better and cheaper than a 3080 even with more VRAM AMD has prove me wrong by choosing to have a 5700XT. 

14 hours ago, TecZoon said:

. I was really hoping for AMD to put some pressure in the GPU market but  the Radeon RX 6000 series will be revealed on October 28 that is far away compared to Green Team'

this is called marketing trap, 

releasing before rival

and you assumed you can really buy one at launch date, which is so unsure at this stage

Last AMD card I tried was the nano, so much grief with drivers and glitches compared to just being able to install an nvidia card + driver and get on with enjoying myself.

AMD CPU yes, AMD graphics card....hesitant.

1 hour ago, dfsgsfa said:

Why I will call you nvidia fanboy despite whatever you may say?

I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to open my eyes, all bow to AMD fanboy here. 

1 hour ago, Calranthe said:

Last AMD card I tried was the nano, so much grief with drivers and glitches compared to just being able to install an nvidia card + driver and get on with enjoying myself.

AMD CPU yes, AMD graphics card....hesitant.

I have felt the same pain, I did try to go full AMD in my current system, but AMD GPUs are really to much work.