Control giant led screen with hdmi or VGA

Spoiled_Kitten

Hi there, does anyone know any ways i can control a giant led screen with hdmi or VGA( it will probs be like 10,000 by 10,000 leds or something). i know there are shift controllers etc but i want to know if anyone knows of a video or tutrorial that shows easy to expand diy led displays thingys. Thanks Blake

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

Are you making a homemade jumbo tron or? Because you'll need quite a lot of hardware for that

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/10/10/pixblasters-ms1-video-led-controller-hdmi-to-led-video-wall/ i found this. but i dont think its big enough

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Are you making a homemade jumbo tron or? Because you'll need quite a lot of hardware for that

im aware, cost is something i wanna keep low but can live without. more of a little project then anything else, 

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

I would highly suggest using a projector then as trying to make an led screen from scratch might actually exceed the cost of buying a proper industrial video wall from a vendor.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I would highly suggest using a projector then as trying to make an led screen from scratch might actually exceed the cost of buying a proper industrial video wall from a vendor.

yeah, but its mainly to learn some stuff, and i dont want a projecter, the led wall will be used for many things, and i want to be able to scale it larger or smaller, for different projects

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

1 minute ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

yeah, but its mainly to learn some stuff, and i dont want a projecter, the led wall will be used for many things, and i want to be able to scale it larger or smaller, for different projects

well again a projector can be scaled much better than a physical screen.

You'd most likely want to get in touch with an actual company that makes led video walls and do a custom order. As led screens like this typically are never used outside of commercial venues. they usually are reserved for situations where the screen quality can be very low do to the sheer distance away the screen is.

I will say that nobody on earth is going to make a universal of the shelf controller. And that theres not going to be any kind of standardization for jumbo screen components like this. I'd be like them trying to make a universal lcd driver board which also is just as unlikely.

13 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

i found this. but i dont think its big enough

that controller supports 1280x720 is that not enough resolution or what?

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

that controller supports 1280x720 is that not enough resolution or what?

Maybe, ill have to work on the design.

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

3 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Maybe, ill have to work on the design.

you can also just use a legacy triplehead2go or something and just get three of those controller so you have 3840x720

if your pixel placement is undefined then you can arrange those however you see fit , could have a 27648x100 screen if you wanted

You probably won't find something cheap and ready made.

You'd probably want to think ahead and arrange your leds into tiles, let's say 32 x 18 pixels ... so for 1080p you'd need 60x60 tiles = 360 tiles.  For 4K, you'd need 4x that many and for 8K you'd need... well you can do the math.

The easiest way would probably be to get a video card with 4 outputs and set each output to 1080p, and then have 4 devices on each output that take that 1080p signal and split it into those tiles and send the info to each tile 25/50/60/ n times a second

That can be done using rs485, ethernet etc ,,,

Either way ... i don't think you realize how much bandwidth 1080p, 4k and 8k/10k would need, you'd need quite a powerful microcontroller (or a fpga) to take the signal and prepare it for so many tiles.

yeah... if you're thinking of using led strips with those 5v programmable leds for this, don't... they're cheap, but there's a reason they're cheap. It's not feasible to make big panels with those, too much waste of energy, too difficult to control and calibrate to get the same brightness over the whole panel ... use proper led driver ICs for that, which can have 10-12 bits of brightness configurable. Or see chips like IS31FL3741 (39x9 dot matrix led driver, control up to 351 monochrome leds or 117 rgb leds) .. 6 of these on a tile and you get up to 39x18 rgb leds making a 32 or 36x18 led tile possible. datasheet: http://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/IS31FL3741.pdf

30 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/10/10/pixblasters-ms1-video-led-controller-hdmi-to-led-video-wall/ i found this. but i dont think its big enough

im aware, cost is something i wanna keep low but can live without. more of a little project then anything else, 

The board may support up to 720p input, but it can only control up to 16k leds ( 512 x 32 (native), 256 x 64, 128 x 128, 180 x 96, etc

2 hours ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Hi there, does anyone know any ways i can control a giant led screen with hdmi or VGA( it will probs be like 10,000 by 10,000 leds or something). i know there are shift controllers etc but i want to know if anyone knows of a video or tutrorial that shows easy to expand diy led displays thingys. Thanks Blake

I seem to recall you have many crazy ideas that you want to build. Have you followed through on any of them? 

If you are serious about this, what is your budget? Driving a 10k x 10k led wall is no small feat. 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:42 PM, Blue4130 said:

I seem to recall you have many crazy ideas that you want to build. Have you followed through on any of them? 

If you are serious about this, what is your budget? Driving a 10k x 10k led wall is no small feat. 

my budget is about $500-750, but i can do more if needed. and what ideas are you talking about?

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!