Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomax7299

I may have just shorted my brand new PC. Is there anything I can do?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought an new gaming PC a couple months ago, and I know very well that you shouldn't f*** around with it when it's still running. So what did I do? Just that. I was attempting to see where the RGB header is (since it isn't on the motherboard) and I pulled the side panels and front panel off. Windows was updating during this time after I hit "shut down and update." Despite the utter stupidity, everything was working fine the whole time. Then, right as I was putting the rear panel back on (after I put the front panel back on) the PC shut off. Initially I thought it was just the windows update finishing (SSD and all), and it seemed to "shut down" like normal, but just to be sure I tried turning it back on. Nothing. No fans spinning, no lights, nothing. I tried unplugging and replugging, resetting, trying different outlets, and holding the power button, but nothing is turning on. I'm extremely worried that I may have shorted something, and I'm a high school student with very limited funds, so replacing an $850 PC is not something I can do. 

Here's my specs:

500 GB M.2 Boot Drive (doesn't have a lot of important data on it)

2 TB hard drive (mostly just has my steam library and a shitton of other projects, if this got corrupted I'm massively fucked)

GTX 1650 

8 GB memory

Ryzen 5  3400G w/ stock cooler (not Wraith)

The model is an ASUS ROG Strix GL10DH. I only got it in June so I believe it's still under warranty.

Please help, I'm freaking out right now cause I don't know what to tell my parents (or ASUS, if I'm even able to RMA the damn thing)

Is your PSU modular? From here I'd disconnect all internal peripherals outside the main 24-pin, GPU 6/8-pin, & CPU 8-pin. See if the system powers on. Might have twisted a SATA/Molex or fan cable the wrong direction.

Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How To: Remotely Access Your Server/NAS

In the Queue:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

6 minutes ago, Boomax7299 said:

2 TB hard drive (mostly just has my steam library and a shitton of other projects, if this got corrupted I'm massively fucked)

it's most likely fine

can we have a picture of inside of the case? make sure no connection is loose

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Have you tried flipping the power switch on the psu off then on, then try to start again.

r5 3600 3.7GHz@1.0125v(0.975v get) | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3600mhz|Zotac 2060 amp 1965mhz@900mv | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is your PSU modular? From here I'd disconnect all internal peripherals outside the main 24-pin, GPU 6/8-pin, & CPU 8-pin. See if the system powers on. Might have twisted a SATA/Molex or fan cable the wrong direction.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's semi-modular. 

7 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Have you tried flipping the power switch on the psu off then on, then try to start again.

Yup, that was one of the first things I tried.

8 minutes ago, warmongerp said:

You might have pulled some cable closing the case, check all connections Nothing you did would kill a pc, let alone "short it"

Well that's reassuring. Hopefully I can figure out what cable ( assuming it is a cable) is causing the issue. 

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

can we have a picture of inside of the case? make sure no connection is loose

Inside 1.JPG

Inside 2.JPG

Back.JPG

Check and double check the sata cables connected to the motherboard and also double check the power cables from the PSU that power those drives.

3 minutes ago, Boomax7299 said:

for starters, i would unplug and re-plug in the connector on both PSU and component side to make sure nothing is loose

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Well, I've checked every power plug I can find and still no dice. Now what? Are we sure there's absolutely no way I shorted anything?

I had an issue like this with a laptop before, and it kind of just fixed itself after a day or so. Could that be the case here?

Nevermind, we're up and running! I don't even know what I did but it would appear that wiggling the power button cable around while spamming the power button fixed it. I'd bet that the connector is probably just not made very well and a slight jar can make it loose. I appreciate the help guys! Can always count on the LTT forum 😊