I may have just shorted my brand new PC. Is there anything I can do?

Boomax7299

I bought an new gaming PC a couple months ago, and I know very well that you shouldn't f*** around with it when it's still running. So what did I do? Just that. I was attempting to see where the RGB header is (since it isn't on the motherboard) and I pulled the side panels and front panel off. Windows was updating during this time after I hit "shut down and update." Despite the utter stupidity, everything was working fine the whole time. Then, right as I was putting the rear panel back on (after I put the front panel back on) the PC shut off. Initially I thought it was just the windows update finishing (SSD and all), and it seemed to "shut down" like normal, but just to be sure I tried turning it back on. Nothing. No fans spinning, no lights, nothing. I tried unplugging and replugging, resetting, trying different outlets, and holding the power button, but nothing is turning on. I'm extremely worried that I may have shorted something, and I'm a high school student with very limited funds, so replacing an $850 PC is not something I can do. 

Here's my specs:

500 GB M.2 Boot Drive (doesn't have a lot of important data on it)

2 TB hard drive (mostly just has my steam library and a shitton of other projects, if this got corrupted I'm massively fucked)

GTX 1650 

8 GB memory

Ryzen 5  3400G w/ stock cooler (not Wraith)

The model is an ASUS ROG Strix GL10DH. I only got it in June so I believe it's still under warranty.

Please help, I'm freaking out right now cause I don't know what to tell my parents (or ASUS, if I'm even able to RMA the damn thing)

Is your PSU modular? From here I'd disconnect all internal peripherals outside the main 24-pin, GPU 6/8-pin, & CPU 8-pin. See if the system powers on. Might have twisted a SATA/Molex or fan cable the wrong direction.

6 minutes ago, Boomax7299 said:

2 TB hard drive (mostly just has my steam library and a shitton of other projects, if this got corrupted I'm massively fucked)

it's most likely fine

can we have a picture of inside of the case? make sure no connection is loose

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You might have pulled some cable closing the case, check all connections Nothing you did would kill a pc, let alone "short it"

Have you tried flipping the power switch on the psu off then on, then try to start again.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is your PSU modular? From here I'd disconnect all internal peripherals outside the main 24-pin, GPU 6/8-pin, & CPU 8-pin. See if the system powers on. Might have twisted a SATA/Molex or fan cable the wrong direction.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's semi-modular. 

7 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Have you tried flipping the power switch on the psu off then on, then try to start again.

Yup, that was one of the first things I tried.

8 minutes ago, warmongerp said:

You might have pulled some cable closing the case, check all connections Nothing you did would kill a pc, let alone "short it"

Well that's reassuring. Hopefully I can figure out what cable ( assuming it is a cable) is causing the issue. 

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

can we have a picture of inside of the case? make sure no connection is loose

Inside 1.JPG

Inside 2.JPG

Back.JPG

Check and double check the sata cables connected to the motherboard and also double check the power cables from the PSU that power those drives.

3 minutes ago, Boomax7299 said:

for starters, i would unplug and re-plug in the connector on both PSU and component side to make sure nothing is loose

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well, I've checked every power plug I can find and still no dice. Now what? Are we sure there's absolutely no way I shorted anything?

I had an issue like this with a laptop before, and it kind of just fixed itself after a day or so. Could that be the case here?

Nevermind, we're up and running! I don't even know what I did but it would appear that wiggling the power button cable around while spamming the power button fixed it. I'd bet that the connector is probably just not made very well and a slight jar can make it loose. I appreciate the help guys! Can always count on the LTT forum 😊