MSI 660 Ti Hate

Xorbex

Call me a fool but I now hate MSI. I have a MSI 660 Ti that refuses to be recognized in my Intel DX58SO. The best part is that it works in an even older board, my EVGA 780i. After talking with tech support

there is some dual hybrid vbios thats apparently causing the issue however, they want me to ask intel for a bios update........

It gets better....

I have a PNY 660 Ti that works in my DX58SO machine. Wait.... I can run the MSI card as well but it has to be in SLI with the PNY in the uppermost slot. Huh????

Sorry i'm very frustrated that a video card manufacturer can't own up to their mistake and create a fix for their consumer. Never again will I purchase an MSI product.

i7 4770k @ 4.6 / Corsair h110 / Corsair XMS3 16GB / 2 x 660 Ti  / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

That is unfortunate that you feel this way. I personally am an MSI fanboy, and have loved their products to death. As for the owning up to the mistake part, that sounds a little harsh. I doubt MSI is trying to hide something, as there really is not benefit to doing something like that. Maybe they were telling the actual truth, and you really do need a BIOS update? Have you tried that yet?

pnBIF.gif?1

Call me a fool but I now hate MSI. I have a MSI 660 Ti that refuses to be recognized in my Intel DX58SO. The best part is that it works in an even older board' date=' my EVGA 780i. After talking with tech support there is some dual hybrid vbios thats apparently causing the issue however, they want me to ask intel for a bios update........ It gets better.... I have a PNY 660 Ti that works in my DX58SO machine. Wait.... I can run the MSI card as well but it has to be in SLI with the PNY in the uppermost slot. Huh???? Sorry i'm very frustrated that a video card manufacturer can't own up to their mistake and create a fix for their consumer. Never again will I purchase an MSI product. [/quote']

Have you tried running the MSI card alone in another slot?

I believe you are mistaken buddy, the header should read "Intel DX58SO hate". the card will work 100% on another mobo so the card is not your problem, your mobo is. update your bios to the latest version here :)

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

I believe you are mistaken buddy, the header should read "Intel DX58SO hate". the card will work 100% on another mobo so the card is not your problem, your mobo is. update your bios to the latest version here :)
It is up to date, all other cards from different manufacturers work fine. It's the card and their special hybrid vbios. Chances of getting intel to make a bios update on a board 3-4 yrs old is not going to happen. And to previous poster yes I have tried it in a different slot. The cards vbios wont load.

i7 4770k @ 4.6 / Corsair h110 / Corsair XMS3 16GB / 2 x 660 Ti  / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Sorry to hear this, but in all; un-biased honestly; MSI is not at fault here.

Not MSI's fault. They make some of the best coolers and overclocking software in relation to graphics cards, just try and return the card for one that works on your old board.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Yeah you really can't hate on MSI for this, they can't test their card in every motherboard available. The fact that it works in nearly every other motherboard means its a fault of the motherboards.

This would be my reaction if that happened to me because I was going to get an MSI 660 ti and I own an Intel x58so. Sorry for you bro:(

=

OK well maybe Hate is too harsh a word.... The card itself im sure is a great product. Why I believe this is an MSI issue is that they are using a NEW Hybrid vBios which is the problem. My board is a bit older yes but if there is an issue with a ios to download for their consumer. They must realize that not everyone has the best and newest hardware to be compatable with their product.

As I said before it is very unlikely for Intel to support a board in which they have only updated the bios on once in the last 2 years.

What should I do? I have 2 660 Ti's in SLI atm should I return them and get a single card? If so which one?

I am waiting for Haswell before I upgrade my current pc becuase honestly my i7940 is sufficient atm.

Well, by that logic and not upgrading we would still be using PCI or AGP graphics cards. When PCI-e graphics cards came out and most people only had AGP slots they were forced to upgrade. Its just part of hardware evolution, not everything can stay relevant. Regardless of that, I've never seen this problem on any other motherboard (even old ones), so its a lack of BIOS support on Intel's part really.

660 TI Sli is pretty beast, and they are both working ok, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

[TABLE=class: dialogTable]

[TR]

[TD=class: username]

Guest:[/TD]

[TD=class: usertexthistory]

I have purchased a MSI 660 Ti and due to its hybrid bios the card is not recognized in my DX58SO[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: hostname]

Joy[/TD]

[TD=class: hosttexthistory]

Okay. How can I help you about this?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Well ive talked to MSI and they suggest that intel release a bios update to accomadate this[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Joy[/TD]

I see. [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

the thing is i can get the card to work in SLI when another card is in the first pcie slot but not when the MSI is in the slot b[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Joy[/TD]

Unfortunately the board is quite old already and its already on its end of life support. Am not sure if they can still build another BIOS for this type of motherboard. [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well, by that logic and not upgrading we would still be using PCI or AGP graphics cards. When PCI-e graphics cards came out and most people only had AGP slots they were forced to upgrade. Its just part of hardware evolution, not everything can stay relevant. Regardless of that, I've never seen this problem on any other motherboard (even old ones), so its a lack of BIOS support on Intel's part really.

660 TI Sli is pretty beast, and they are both working ok, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I believe they are working OK not sure though my physix scores are super low. 3DMark11 score is 11k so its working just not sure if im getting everything I can outta the cards.

A bit of an update, other users are having the same issue on different motherboards. An MSI vbios update has corrected the issue however, there is no vbios update for my particular card.