Keyboard from scratch (school project)

MatsNorway

Well hello there

This is the start of a keyboard build. The basic premise of the keyboard is to do a slight update of the modern QWERTY keyboard so that regular users (such as myself) can adapt to it while gaining the benefits of the updates.

The keyboard is to be targeted towards a specific group of PC users which is not determined yet but it is likely to be towards either CAD users or gamers

One of the updates i missed when i did regular work was delete and enter closer to the left hand. But exact placement is to be found after a short study of key usage, separate thread here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1244953-keylogger-to-map-out-most-used-keys/

I have access to laser cutter, mills, lathes and 3D printers and more, so this is mostly a planning, organizing, CAD and time issue. And money.. ish.

Here is just some older ideas.

Long link

image.thumb.png.4d44c55a7a06e7b92bd280b82176876d.png

Edited by LogicalDrm

*** Moderator note ***

The shortened link was changed to normal. We don't allow shortened links. Also moved to Hobby Electronics. If you think this fits better to other sections like Case Modding and Other Mods, or Build Logs, PM me.

• No spam
    • LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) links or comments in the same spirit.
    • Post count / reputation farming.
    • 'Ask Me Anything’ threads.
    • Shortened links (bit.ly etc) without the permission of staff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Haha. Because I am going to use it and i like my keyboard to be relatable(and have all the keys) so that it becomes less pain to use other keyboards and my laptops.

There is many reasons to keep QWERTY layout and do small updates, familiarity and customers willing to try it out is one of them.

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Why limit yourself?

Go nuts

this has got to be the worst layout i've seen

image.png.c4982bd98d5827bdfab3f617bd3f44e6.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I don't like this.  I don't like any of this!

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

this has got to be the worst layout i've seen

image.png.c4982bd98d5827bdfab3f617bd3f44e6.png

Hoho, some custom keebs would really like to meet you. 

1 minute ago, gloop said:

Hoho, some custom keebs would really like to meet you. 

keyboard.jpg

Try gaming on that!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Switches. I am thinking a type of Cherry switch. or MX speed switches. But i kinda want them to collapse too to get that tactile feel.

I also dislike travel after actuation. I guess that can be fixed with a O-rings but idk. Feels like a patch for a problem that should not exist.

6 hours ago, MatsNorway said:

I also dislike travel after actuation. I guess that can be fixed with a O-rings but idk. Feels like a patch for a problem that should not exist.

Switches need a tolerance range and a bit of hysteresis. If they only would only make at the very end of their movement it makes them more prone to failure, tolerances could be out from the factory or due to wear over time. Plus with certain switch types the physical mechanism itself may need to cycle or go through a physical action like popping, clicking, bouncing etc. between states or when making/breaking.

I'm talking more generally here across switches such as industrial switches I work with, AFAIK they always make or break before physically bottoming out or reaching the end of their travel. I opened up a small momentary limit/tamper switch and to give it a snappy changeover and tactile feel it had a pretty intricate little mechanism. With larger industrial switches like limit switches they are designed to have overtravel and generally may be damaged by bottoming out, so between actuation and the over travel gives you a region for a mechanical stop to be apllied with looser tolerances and yet still function correctly.

http://telcontar.net/KBK/tech/travel

This seems to state overtravel as deliberate to allow for fast partial keypresses without having to bottom out constantly.

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx-original/mx-black.html

So if you look at the cherry in action there could be issues with the design as is if the overtravel was too low.

Not saying it isn't doable just there are reasons to have a bit of overtravel or actuation before bottoming out, usually it is a good thing or there is reasons behind it, especially with mechanical switches at least.

Where do i actually buy the switches? is there a full kit for 100+ keys?

Edit: Done. Went with MX red silents. As for overtravel argument it seems silly to need o-rings that is all.

I kinda wanted to try speed switches but did not find a online shop for it.

Imo thread is put into wrong sub forum. Hobby electronics is a small part of this project.

Having said that does anyone recommend a spesific chip to wire all this up?