AMD annouces RDNA2 and Zen3 dates

GDRRiley

I think 2 things can come from rDNA 2. Either a, AMD has a absolute bombshell, and are waiting for nvidia to launch, or b,  AMD has some OK 300$ish cards, and wants to cover the price gap.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

This stuff all works better with hindsight I think. I suspect AMD marketing is less incompetent and faces greater challenges than are being claimed by some. 
My personal prediction is they will either release something a lot more powerful than the 3090 (doubtful) or they will have something on the level of a 3070s that they will have to prove near where they think the 3060s would land.  I personally think that if they want to stay in the market they’re going to have to price it near where they think the 3060 would land, but put all the hardware into it necessary to beat a 3070 good and hard, but slow it with drivers that can be sped up quickly.  Nvidia has the market sewn.  The only way in now is to play the game Nvidia’s way. Release a die that can go a lot faster than it is allowed to and boost it as necessary.  Last time they released the 5700xt first.  This time I think they have to release a 5700xt equivalent, but price it and market it as a 5600, then release software improvements that can push it past whatever Nvidia throws at it.  Means they won’t be making much money, and their 5600 is going to come in power sipping and quiet and slowly become hot and loud as it gains performance.  Buy their way back into the market.  Gonna be expensive. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I guess got to wait for Intel

Yea, I'm not waiting for them on anything

59 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My personal prediction is they will either release something a lot more powerful than the 3090 (doubtful)

I'll change my username to "IWasWrong" if that happens

Spoiler

Insider joke, mods can't change their usernames lol

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'll change my username to "IWasWrong" if that happens

Reveal hidden contents

Insider joke, mods can't change their usernames lol

Yeah I don’t think it will likely happen either.  It’s the only open end of the market though. Xe is attempting it from the other side it seems.  The only option is to hit an end or force a way through the middle. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

I think 2 things can come from rDNA 2. Either a, AMD has a absolute bombshell, and are waiting for nvidia to launch, or b,  AMD has some OK 300$ish cards, and wants to cover the price gap.

The problem is there aren’t actually any price gaps.  The gaps are an illusion.  That was shown by the ti/super thing. That they can even appear to be there is just proof of how badly lack of competition can twist things.  Nvidia doesn’t have to cover a gap unless it’s attacked there, and if it isn’t there’s a good chance it just won’t. Nvidia apparently did a 106 die but we haven’t heard word one about it.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yea, I'm not waiting for them on anything

what you don't want 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, AldiPrayogi said:

Always wait till everything is settled and drivers are ironed out

By the time they get to me in Australia, I'm sure they'll be fine.

8 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

2070s+25% preformance=/= 2080ti.

At lower resolutions it is:

Spoiler

relative-performance_1920-1080.pngimage.thumb.png.1f06873fa564fb514fcc6fe0c86b7357.png

At 4k the difference goes almost to 40% though, but based on the specs on the 3070 it will probably be better for lower resolutions, and I assume Nvidia would base their marketing at the resolution it looks the best.

5 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Why are you listening to this guy? MLID is not only clearly AMD biased, but he has a terrible track record with leaks - most of the stuff he “leaked” about RTX 3000 was proven completely false by Nvidia’s presentation. 

For example, he claimed the rtx 3000 series would launch with a complete rework of Nvidia’s software stack, where they merged GeForce experience and the Nvidia’s control panel, which would then no longer required a login. It would also launch alongside DLSS 3.0 which would supposedly work on any game that could use TSAA.

The cards themselves would supposedly “look similar to the 2000 series cards, but with 3 fans”. He quoted an incorrect cuda core count for GA102 (one that doesn’t even line up with the doubling from 2xfp32) as well as an incorrect memory layout. USB-c would also return after being ditched by the Super cards.

Pretty much the only thing he got right was pci-e 4.0. Which wasn’t exactly a hard guess.

This always happens with AMD.

Some random youtuber starts making a bunch of predictions that favors AMD, fanboys start watching and believing it as gospel and then they do Olympic levels of mental gymnastics to not admit that the "leaker" who gave them false hope was wrong.

Happened with Adored in the pasts, and MLID is the new one.

Here is a thread about MLID and people are legitimately believing that Nvidia fed their board partners the wrong info to screw over MLID. They would rather believe in some crazy and completely unfounded conspiracy theory than just admit that a random YouTuber made stuff up for views.

It's like with flat earthers or anti-vaxxers. No matter how much facts you got they will come up with another unprovable conspiracy theory to deflect criticism.

It's happening in this thread too. People are quoting numbers from MLID that can neither be proven nor disproven and they are using that as arguments for their cause. The problem is that if you can't prove something then it might as well be incorrect. For example people are quoting MLID about Nvidia having manufacturing issues because they want it to be true. Some random Youtuber saying something they want to be true? That's as good as facts in my eyes!

Some random forum post saying the opposite with just as much evidence (that is to say, 0)? Nahh, better not believe that.

I guess in a sense it's more like religion rather than flat earthers or anti-vaxxers, because it's all about faith. Some people have complete faith in MLID even though he has 0 evidence to back his claims up with, and the few things that we have been able to disproved has shown him to be incredibly unreliable (no matter who you blame for his inaccurate predictions).

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Here is a thread about MLID and people are legitimately believing that Nvidia fed their board partners the wrong info to screw over MLID

then why did asus on launch day release a spec sheet with the wrong info? it had the rumored amount of cuda cores

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

then why did asus on launch day release a spec sheet with the wrong info? it had the rumored amount of cuda cores

Source?

The impression I got watching MLID is that he’s what amounts to a gossip columnist. Think Hollywood reporter or something.  I’d say National Enquirer because they used to do that stuff, but there’s been so much political garbage in there for so many years that it’s dropped well below the status of even gossip rag.  He uses very similar language as one might find from gossip columnists.  He talks about revealing information he makes many references to special sources, he’s even got similar hand gestures.  Gossip columnists don’t have facts.  They have gossip. They often have deliberate leaks.  If these leaks later turn out to be false the source gets dropped.  A GPU company isn’t the private retinue of some movie star though.  They might have a dozen staffers.  A GPU company has thousands of employees. A GPU company can churn at Will.  

I find him interesting because he makes deductions about things that can be insightful, but one should have a salt shaker handy viewing his channel. 

The information he is giving out now says that there were a whole lot of things coming out of Nvidia and almost nothing out of AMD. The AMD gossip he has is a year old or more.  This I find interesting. 

15 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I am very disappointed by that source.

You said Asus released a spec sheet with incorrect information on launch day. Your proof of this is an article on Videocardz containing the wrong info... A chart that I can't find on any other reputable site mind you and that has been written and/or edited by Videocardz themselves at that.

I mean just think for a second. Do you honestly believe Asus manufactured the cards and didn't even know how many CUDA cores were in the 3070? It literally says "TBD" on the CUDA cores for that card for some reason. 

Just look at the comments for crying out loud:

image.png.f4bdcd68589f3e5643e984a2487a7690.png

Doesn't that seem a bit more plausible of an explanation than "Nvidia fed Asus the wrong info and nobody at Asus even checked how many cores the cards they manufactured had"?

Oh and apparently the article you linked was published before the official announcement as well. That's why people in the comments are going "wait just a few more hours for official announcement" and "That awkward moment when ASUS announces three hours before NVIDIA does".

Seems pretty reasonable that Videocardz posted that article, added the rumored specs at the end in an attempt to get lots of clicks before the official announcement.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am very disappointed by that source.

You said Asus released a spec sheet with incorrect information on launch day. Your proof of this is an article on Videocardz containing the wrong info... A chart that I can't find on any other reputable site mind you and that has been written and/or edited by Videocardz themselves at that.

Oh and apparently the article you linked was published before the official announcement as well. That's why people in the comments are going "wait just a few more hours for official announcement" and "That awkward moment when ASUS announces three hours before NVIDIA does".

Seems pretty reasonable that Videocardz posted that article, added the rumored specs at the end in an attempt to get lots of clicks before the official announcement.

asus pulled it down. I've heard other speak of it too.

thats what asus did, a few hours before they released it.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

asus pulled it down. I've heard other speak of it too.

thats what asus did, a few hours before they released it.

Source?

Just now, LAwLz said:

Source?

I've search for others this is the best I can find. https://www.neowin.net/news/nvidia-rtx-3000-aib-leaks-have-almost-confirmed-the-specs-of-next-gen-rtx-3090-and-3080

10 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Except it's not a "titan" card, and IMO yes it should be the price of the previous Ti card, if Nvidia is ditching the "Ti" tier brand. Nvidia priced the x80 card $200 higher and called it the flagship and people go "wOw iTs sO cHEap" because Nvidia calls their actual flagship tier a "titan" card.

NVIDIA specifically said in their announcement that the 3090 will be this generations "Titan" card.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

nvidia raising prices for one generation has desensitized people to pricing lol. now that theyre dropping prices to what they usually are (still expensive) everyone's like "waow so impressive!!!" like damn they might as well just sell 3070s for 1000 bucks, the 3080 at 1500 and the 3090 at 2500. if amd rolls out actually good cards just be like "oh hey look we've got a 3070 sUpEr" and milk fools for more. its a wonder how turing cards sold so well

They didn't. According to the steam hardware survey Turing did terrible in comparison to Pascal or even Maxwell.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Guess I'll need to build a new computer then...Get me some Zen 3 CPU and a 3k series GPU...like...a year after they've been on sale so I can make sure nothing's exploded with all you early-adopters.  I've learned my lesson with X370 boards.

12 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Guess I'll need to build a new computer then...Get me some Zen 3 CPU and a 3k series GPU...like...a year after they've been on sale so I can make sure nothing's exploded with all you early-adopters.  I've learned my lesson with X370 boards.

One will always eventually need to do this. My personal current plan is if possible to not do a thing until the consoles have been bought retail, taken apart and analyzed, then possibly also responded to with a motherboard adjustment. I didn’t think that would be necessary but the way the console storage thing is shaking out it may be needed.  I don’t know if I can hold out till ddr5 or not.  It might be needed though.  Conventional wisdom still seems to hold.  Don’t build until you can’t get what you need out of your system.  

I've waited so long for a card which can finally replace my 1080Ti with a noticeable performance increase and play games at 4K over 60fps. The 2080Ti was just too expensive for me. I'll not wait any longer and just get the 3080.

IF AMD actually launches anything with comparable performance of a 3080 or higher, they still have to match the feature set imo. The uphill battle they're up against is not only raw performance. If RTX 2000 is anything to go by, the first gen of ray-tracing ready tech form AMD won't even come close to RTX 3000 performance while using any DXR features. Not to mention new games help NVIDIA cards with DLSS. AMD still has a lot of catching up to do.

So good luck AMD. If they actually release something that stomps the 3080 (which i personally don't expect) i can still sell the 3080 and get something else. I'd love to be surprised by a great product from AMD, but i don't expect much. Imo even AMD didn't expect NVIDIA to make such a big jump with Ampere and they probably have to reevaluate their complete product stack planned for release in terms of pricing. I expect them to be competitive in the mid-range again but nothing more.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One will always eventually need to do this. My personal current plan is if possible to not do a thing until the consoles have been bought retail, taken apart and analyzed, then possibly also responded to with a motherboard adjustment. I didn’t think that would be necessary but the way the console storage thing is shaking out it may be needed.  I don’t know if I can hold out till ddr5 or not.  It might be needed though.  Conventional wisdom still seems to hold.  Don’t build until you can’t get what you need out of your system.  

Last system I used is still a backup...built in 2010 with a first-gen i7 (and I've got a 5.25" floppy working on it playing games almost as old as I am in DOSbox).  Only reasons I'm thinking of building another system is that my current board's blown out one of its USB chips, and I'd have to change motherboards anyways to upgrade CPU and memory.  Might as well do the whole shebang at once.  If I don't do that, I'd probably get a new GPU anyways.  I'll always have a use for another GPU as long as I continue doing anything with BOINC or F@H I figure.  It's a fine excuse.