AMD annouces RDNA2 and Zen3 dates

GDRRiley
12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Now it makes sense why they started at 5000 series

So that Radeon products and Ryzen products don't get confused (Imagine if there was a Radeon 3600XT)

Also, this counts of an announcement of an announcement. Guess we gotta wait for October so we know how much we have to wait afterward.

ryzen will reach 5000 unless they change the name.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'm pretty interested to see how these perform, though I'm not going to get hyped. I fully expect their top tier card to slot in slightly above the 3070 with more VRAM....that's what most of the leaks I've seen have been hinting at. I find the launch windows odd. You'd think they'd launch the GPU first, and CPU later since there's far more competition in the GPU space. I see this as a bad sign. Almost as if they're taking extra time with drivers, or trying to squeak a little more performance out of the cards. Squeaking out more performance isn't a bad thing, but if you're holding off on launching something because of it, it wreaks of a weaker card. Especially in today's climate where your event setup is so much smaller than it would have been otherwise.

AMD lost 10% of it's share value after Nvidia's launch. It'll be interesting to see if their next releases have a more-than-that positive affect.

Unless someone can point me to information pertaining to high end AMD cards, I'm pretty sure we're getting a card pegged between the 3070 and 3080.

I find everyone's "they're going to have an awesome card!" reaction hilarious. They hold a very, very small percentage of the industries GPU sales.

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

No no ..u misunderstand. the disappointment is in there ability to announce something lol. A tease for an announcement of an announcement is only going to disappoint.

I 'hope' their GPUs can compete i really do, even if they cant outright beat a 3080 or get close to a 3090, atleast they can compete in price and drive Nvidia back down to normal pricing.

In terms of outcome i'd be disappointment only if they can only manage 3070 performance. Anything above that is good but ideally they'd have a 3080 killer to force Nvidais hand and release their 3080ti.

I definitely see them between the 3070 and 3080. Which wouldn't be bad, for those that like AMD cards and are aiming at a mid tier offering.

7 hours ago, smatts said:

Im happy they did it like this.  Makes it easier to set a timeline for upgrading now and the little teaser gives us just enough to not forget about them during the current Nvidia hype..  Was worried about buying a 3080 then having AMD potentially drop a competing product soon after but also didnt want to hold off for an undetermined mount of time then regret not pulling the trigger mid september.   A month.  I can wait another month...or 2

Great end of year for PC enthusiasts

I don't think AMD is going to come out with something that's going to compete with the 3080.

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Whatever is left in stock will almost certainly be sold at discount by the sales vendors like NewEgg, etc. Especially if it ends up sitting on a warehouse shelf for too long.

Maybe, unless they decide to continue producing them. They've done it before, and I think it's a really odd decision on their part.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Cool. Still waiting for the prices.

Just hope they aren't outrageous like Nvidia...

Nvidia prices aren't that outrageous. They're right on par with what they were last year. The 2000 series die was much larger, so they get less out of each wafer. They're not your friends, so they have absolutely no reason to lower their profit margins to keep something in a certain price bracket. They're a business, doing business things.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

How is this dissapointing?

Nvidia cards despite being officially announced will not have enough availability for many people to buy at launch.

We're talking less than 10K global units of 3090 cards at launch.

How many 3090 cards did you exactly expect them to sell? If that was the 3080 numbers, sure, that's a little odd. However since it's their ultimate best card, they likely aren't expecting a ton of sales of that one anyway. So 10k globally isn't that bad.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

How would you feel about a potential 3080Ti killer for $999? Because it's very likely that's what we'll get.

The 3080Ti doesn't exist...so I'm not sure what you're referring to. AMD hasn't competed that level before, and I don't see them doing it now.

6 hours ago, Exty said:

so disappointing i guess 3090 it is (if i cant snatch it at launch that is)

I mean....it's really unlikely AMD had anything to match that anyway. So if you were aiming for the 3090, Nvidia is your horse.

6 hours ago, GreatnessRD said:

I was hyped, but no longer. Now I'm starting to think Big Navi gonna be lackluster. Oct 28th? Like, the GPUs are literally launching like 2 weeks before consoles. Weak, lol

Well...paper launch. You likely won't be able to buy them on launch day, and even if you can, historically it's only been their (really poorly made) reference design cards.

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Nvidia's doing another paper launch as always. price range or performance goals? cus no one should spend 1500$ on a GPU for gaming.

cus zen3 is going to make intel cry. they will lose in every way

And that's different than AMD...how? Do you really think these cards are going to be available same day? That'd be a first.

Not sure where you think you get away telling people what they should spend on their computer, either. $6,000 (price of a really flagship setup) for some is pretty affordable for a hobby they really enjoy.

5 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

damn i wanted a good card in time for cyberpunk, fml. wish evga made amd cards, that sweet warranty is real nice

You have the 3070 available. That's a pretty sick card for $500. If you were aiming at 3080 or higher I really don't see AMD competing there anyway.

5 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Fuck off AMD. You make us wait this long just to tease the announcement of an announcement that is long over due. You fucking make us wait a month after zen 3 to get any details on radeon 6000, meanwhile nvidia has launched 3000 series a month earlier.

Fuck RTG. Fuck their meme shit. Clearly when they said we'd get the new shit before consoles came out they meant literally days. Because they know that xbox and sony are their real graphics customers. Fuck anyone wanting a discrete card.

I'm not waiting for Big Navi at this point. I'll order RTX 3000 and resell if big navi seems worth. Doesnt seem that way yet.

Depending on what you were aiming for you're probably better off with NVidia anyway. At least you'll have better drivers 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I can't remember. MSI will be making X570 max version if they do to show that they for sure have the latest bios

its a dam paper launch for the RTX 3000. good luck getting any there are ~10k 3090s woldwide. some small countries are getting single digits
its not a month its 2 weeks, they make way more money on every GPU than on the PS5/xbox. they make even more from server GPUs

Uhh....I don't think that's accurate at all. AMD's server GPU sales account for 4% of their revenue. That's tiny. AMD is doing a paper launch too, so I don't see why you'd make that comment, and talking about 3090's as if they're they card that everyone is going to be going after is frankly ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I'm just saying even if it comes close to 3070 or 3080 but 50$ less, it would be still missing DLSS, raytracing support, shadow play, rtx voice,gsync. the new reflex tech, broadcast and so many things that amd wouldn't have it vertically integrated, at that point i rather spend a 50 more for those features right? 

the way i see it, they have to outperform nvidia and price the same or less if they are missing those many things i use.

IIRC they do have something like DLSS, it's just not as good, and it should support some form of ray tracing. The rest though, you're right; even though there isn't a huge audience those features will be useful for, just the fact that they're included could swing buyers over from the AMD camp. It's been a smart investment by Nvidia.

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Still amazes me how easily people are manipulated.

Are you really HOPING to have to pay $1000 for a X80ti card.

I cant believe I actually have to say this to as many people as i've had to.

The x80ti cards are the $700 price tier cards.

When Nvidia launches X80 cards before x80ti cards, and when the x80ti cards do eventually come out the 'normal' (as in what they have done every previous gen prior to the 20 series) thing to do is to drop in the x80ti at the current x80 price, and then drop the price of the cards below it.

If Nvidia does release a 3080ti it 'should' come in at $700, while the 3080 drops down to around $500. Thats what they have done historically, to do otherwise is a big FU to the consumers. They'll overcharge if they think they can get away with it, and comments like those quoted DO NOT HELP US.

Dont ASK to pay more. Thats stupid.

What are you talking about?

Launch prices:
780 - $649

780Ti - $699

980 - $549

980Ti - $649

1080 - $699

1080Ti - $699

2080 - $699

2080Ti - $999

The only time it's had a price drop was the 700 series. They did it once, 7 years ago, and it wasn't a $200 price drop, it was a $150 price drop. It's also more expensive to research such things. In 2013, Nvidia spent $1.1 billion. In 2020, they spent $2.8 billion. Granted they've entered other arenas, but that's still a notable increase.

There's absolutely no manipulation going on here. Prices go up over time, especially as the hobby gains traction and we see more people getting interested in it. It's not really over charging if they're getting more than enough people buying their product at the prices they assign it. You can't value worth that way. What is worth it to some isn't the same as others.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

its had their version of shadowplay for years. rx460 and newer I know had it

until it becomes a staple meh

their driver stack had a few months of rough going but this was their first time not working with GCN in 10 years.

That's a really poor excuse. They designed it, they shouldn't have had the issues they did. People were returning their cards in frustration.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

And that's different than AMD...how? Do you really think these cards are going to be available same day? That'd be a first.

AMD has TSMC very mature 7nm node vs this Samsung 8nm. AMD will be able to get a lot more working and fully complete dies over Nvida for a similar amount of wafers.

I don't expect them to launch that day but within 1-2 weeks. and not in a small amount

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Nvidia prices aren't that outrageous. They're right on par with what they were last year.

Maybe they are, when compared to last gen.

But if we consider prices from the past 10 years, they've certainly been increasing their prices steadily every year.

So yes. Still outrageous prices that doesn't reflect inflation in the least. Wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia decided to price them higher, just because they know they'll sell, especially to miners who will buy anything at whatever price.

I still remember how I got my 5870 in 2009 for like $350 CAD. These days, that amount of money gets me a used card from last gen or a lower end GPU brand new.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You have the 3070 available. That's a pretty sick card for $500. If you were aiming at 3080 or higher I really don't see AMD competing there anyway.

8gb vram in 2020 is kinda :/ 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

I really think the 3090 is the titan replacement, especially with that much VRAM. I've been wrong before one or twice and this is Nvidia.

Where your wrong though is that x80 cards have not gotten a $200 price hike. It has not, I don't under stand why people are so up in arms about this. This is back to 2012.

Launch                          Adjusted inflation

GTX 680 $499                            $563

GTX 780 $649                            $722

GTX 980 $549                            $600

GTX 1080 $599                          $646

RTX 2080 $699                          $721

RTX 3080 $699

The same goes for the x70 cards, except for the launch of the 2070. 

Launch                               Adjusted inflation

GTX 670 $399                                 $450

GTX 770 $399                                 $444

GTX 970 $329                                 $360

GTX 1070 $379                               $409

RTX 2070 $599 super $499          $618/$515

RTX 3070 $499                               

People have this warped perception that Nvidia is drunken sailor raising prices like crazy. The only crazy price gauging they did has been with the 2080ti, the titan but really you know what your getting into and the 2070 at launch was a reach and a slap in the face 7 months later when the 2070 super arrived at $499.

There is the issue.

GTX 680 was the best chip at that time, there was nothing better, that was the RTX 3090 for that time.

So while you can compare xx80 vs xx80 etc across the ages, the perspective is very different right now. 5y ago the xx80 was the top card, now it is NOT a top card. If you want top card you now pay 2x or more of the price.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Now it makes sense why they started at 5000 series

So that Radeon products and Ryzen products don't get confused (Imagine if there was a Radeon 3600XT)

Also, this counts of an announcement of an announcement. Guess we gotta wait for October so we know how much we have to wait afterward.

I'd guess AMD would be going for the holiday season, unless they're launching 6000 series cards on October 28th.

I don't mind waiting to see what AMD has, if there's a 6000 series card that can keep up with the 3070 but with 12GB of VRAM I would consider it because 8GB doesn't seem like enough considering games like Flight Sim 2020 can use all the VRAM you throw at it.

3 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

2070s+25% preformance=/= 2080ti.

A used 2080Ti with 11GB for $500, or a 3070 8GB, hmm.

39 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

ryzen will reach 5000 unless they change the name.

....How did I not think of that lol. Not sure what they'll do then.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

15 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

AMD has TSMC very mature 7nm node vs this Samsung 8nm. AMD will be able to get a lot more working and fully complete dies over Nvida for a similar amount of wafers.

I don't expect them to launch that day but within 1-2 weeks. and not in a small amount

Custom 8nm*. Kind of an important point.

Perhaps, but they also have only released reference cards first. If that changes, perhaps they'll have a better footing, but if all that's available is their notoriously shitty reference designs than it's not really a great start either, regardless of how many are out there.

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Maybe they are, when compared to last gen.

But if we consider prices from the past 10 years, they've certainly been increasing their prices steadily every year.

So yes. Still outrageous prices that doesn't reflect inflation in the least. Wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia decided to price them higher, just because they know they'll sell, especially to miners who will buy anything at whatever price.

I still remember how I got my 5870 in 2009 for like $350 CAD. These days, that amount of money gets me a used card from last gen or a lower end GPU brand new.

Uh....yeah. That's kind of how life works. Nothing costs what it did 10 years ago. You have to remember you're not just paying for the BOM, you're also paying for the R&D costs that are associated with said product. They have 4x the number of employees now than they did in 2009. That's ignoring the fact that the card you're comparing it to has 1/8 of the memory at only 1/2 the cost. If you expect things to keep the same price forever, you're going to hate life.

9 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

8gb vram in 2020 is kinda :/ 

We'll see I guess. It's a midrange card, and just because some games fill it up doesn't mean they're actually making use of it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Custom 8nm*. Kind of an important point.

Perhaps, but they also have only released reference cards first. If that changes, perhaps they'll have a better footing, but if all that's available is their notoriously shitty reference designs than it's not really a great start either, regardless of how many are out there.

the 8nm is a version of samsungs 10nm which was used only in phone SCOs till now

In my humble opinion, AMD wanted to announce the GPU after the 3070 hit store shelves, which is why they're announcing RDNA 2 in the end of October.

Why are they doing this? Because once the 3070 hit store shelves, it'd be harder for Nvidia to do price cuts or announce super variants, since it'd be a spit on the face of early adopters. I'm not surprised if Nvidia pushed the 3070 launch to the very end of October after this announcement of an announcement so that they can do pre-launch price cuts.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

5 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

In my humble opinion, AMD wanted to announce the GPU after the 3070 hit store shelves, which is why they're announcing RDNA 2 in the end of October.

Why are they doing this? Because once the 3070 hit store shelves, it'd be harder for Nvidia to do price cuts or announce super variants, since it'd be a spit on the face of early adopters. I'm not surprised if Nvidia pushed the 3070 launch to the very end of October after this announcement of an announcement so that they can do pre-launch price cuts.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I didn't think of this angle. 👏👏👏

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

the 8nm is a version of samsungs 10nm which was used only in phone SCOs till now

It's a custom process, it's not the exact same thing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

it's likely customized to try and get better yields on the large dies, its a last gen node.they do get good pricing on it though

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

snip

Regarding potential 3080Ti comment, numerous sources have talked to news media about a Ti class card being released in response to AMD. It may not end up being called 3080Ti but that is effectively what it will be. It may end up being called 3080 20GB or some kind of cut down 3090 like a 3090 12GB.

MLID is saying 3080 global units is similar to 3090, barely any cards at launch. Less than Radeon VII launch numbers for 3080 according to his sources.

My opinion on the 30 series launch is that Nvidia decided to rush their announcement and presentation. Nvidia’s drivers likely still need a ton of work for all the functionality to perform well including their RTX and Rasterisation performance.

MLID is saying AMD is holding out because they don’t need to launch new cards yet because barely anybody will be buying Nvidia 30 series at launch. 

AMD will have the node/process advantage over Nvidia since RDNA2 will be using N7P instead of rebranded 10nm LPP that Nvidia is using. For all the trouble and grief people gave Polaris, the original 400 and 500 series launched on effectively Samsung 14nm LPP. The 590 was later launched on Global Foundries 12nm LPP as a refined version of 14LPP. This is why Polaris clocked badly and now Nvidia has been given the clock speed and power penalties that AMD used to experience.

Lisa Su definitely wants to severely attack Nvidia with RDNA2 and move the RTG division to pull their own weight just like the CPU division. And now more than ever she’s super confident about RDNA2 as shown in her increasing confidence discussing Radeon cards over the past little while. 

Frankly anything less than a 3080 competitor will be a let down considering they can deliver it if they want to. The main star of the show will likely be a 24GB 6900XT with 3080 performance followed by a weaker 12-20GB 6900 with 3080 ish performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The only thing custom about it afaik is that it allows 800mm^2 or larger die sizes at an incredibly horrifying power penalty.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

clock speed

if they are a good sample 2.2 maybe 2.3 is possible, question is power. if you can get cards there expect to 500-700W of heat output.

thats why that 12 pin became a thing.

With all these hardware announcements I cant tell if now is a good time to upgrade or wait until the holidays...

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

4 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

With all these hardware announcements I cant tell if now is a good time to upgrade or wait until the holidays...

Honestly I’d say wait until after holidays.

30 series cards won’t be in stock often before 2021 and likely neither will RDNA2. Zen3 I expect will have decent availability at launch but X670 or whatever they call it will likely be the only chipset announced for some time afterwards for Zen3. That is if Zen3 continues to support AM4 and doesn’t move to a new platform to support more cores.

February next year would be a better time for 30 series purchase or for RDNA2 purchase.

Although that being said if you want probably 3070 performance in a console then Xbox Series X would be a good buy this holiday season. The 3070 card for the time being exists just to compete with Xbox Series X and PS5

31 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Regarding potential 3080Ti comment, numerous sources have talked to news media about a Ti class card being released in response to AMD. It may not end up being called 3080Ti but that is effectively what it will be. It may end up being called 3080 20GB or some kind of cut down 3090 like a 3090 12GB.

MLID is saying 3080 global units is similar to 3090, barely any cards at launch. Less than Radeon VII launch numbers for 3080 according to his sources.

My opinion on the 30 series launch is that Nvidia decided to rush their announcement and presentation. Nvidia’s drivers likely still need a ton of work for all the functionality to perform well including their RTX and Rasterisation performance.

MLID is saying AMD is holding out because they don’t need to launch new cards yet because barely anybody will be buying Nvidia 30 series at launch. 

AMD will have the node/process advantage over Nvidia since RDNA2 will be using N7P instead of rebranded 10nm LPP that Nvidia is using. For all the trouble and grief people gave Polaris, the original 400 and 500 series launched on effectively Samsung 14nm LPP. The 590 was later launched on Global Foundries 12nm LPP as a refined version of 14LPP. This is why Polaris clocked badly and now Nvidia has been given the clock speed and power penalties that AMD used to experience.

Lisa Su definitely wants to severely attack Nvidia with RDNA2 and move the RTG division to pull their own weight just like the CPU division. And now more than ever she’s super confident about RDNA2 as shown in her increasing confidence discussing Radeon cards over the past little while. 

Frankly anything less than a 3080 competitor will be a let down considering they can deliver it if they want to. The main star of the show will likely be a 24GB 6900XT with 3080 performance followed by a weaker 12-20GB 6900 with 3080 ish performance.

I've seen rumors of the 20GB card, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a Ti variant, simply more memory at a higher price.

The fact you're getting all of your facts from a YouTuber with hardly any subs, who is clearly a skewed towards AMD, and from information that is largely conjecture is pretty telling.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Your choosing to refer to a price drop as "normal price", which I fully disagree with.

The only outlier in the list is the 2080ti, kinda been the sentiment for 2 years.. unless Nvidia pull a dick move and launch a titan branded card.

I really doubt this though, there's to much room between the 3080 and 3090 not to have a 3080ti up their sleeve at hopefully $1000 and I don't see room above. I don't think that card is a 3080 20gb, not enough performance for $300. Though maybe there is a 12gb-16gb 3080 forthcoming at $799, I don't think 20gb. I think that 20gb sku is the 3080ti, ready to go is need be sooner than later

I

One more outlier set: 2008-2009.  Very low prices.  Kinda wonder what happened then? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

One more outlier set: 2008-2009.  Very low prices.  Kinda wonder what happened then? 

no. know what a flagship card from ~2005-2006 costs? 300$ cards like the GeForce 7950 GT

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why are you listening to this guy? MLID is not only clearly AMD biased, but he has a terrible track record with leaks - most of the stuff he “leaked” about RTX 3000 was proven completely false by Nvidia’s presentation. 

For example, he claimed the rtx 3000 series would launch with a complete rework of Nvidia’s software stack, where they merged GeForce experience and the Nvidia’s control panel, which would then no longer required a login. It would also launch alongside DLSS 3.0 which would supposedly work on any game that could use TSAA.

The cards themselves would supposedly “look similar to the 2000 series cards, but with 3 fans”. He quoted an incorrect cuda core count for GA102 (one that doesn’t even line up with the doubling from 2xfp32) as well as an incorrect memory layout. USB-c would also return after being ditched by the Super cards.

Pretty much the only thing he got right was pci-e 4.0. Which wasn’t exactly a hard guess.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

9 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I guess all those comments about AMDs marketing department being terrible are true lol.

To be fair, I think I'd rather have a terrible marketing department rather than a terrible engineering department. Even still, I'm not holding my breath here. Gotta wait for them real world reviews and benchmarks first.

7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

no. know what a flagship card from ~2005-2006 costs? 300$ cards like the GeForce 7950 GT

I was just going off the thing quoted which seems to have changed.  From the price list there was a gigantic drop on the “adjusted for inflation” side.  Was over $600 then Under $300. 9800gt was the item iirc.  If the chart wasn’t right it doesn’t matter.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.