Nvidia gave us their internal tools… What could go wrong?

When Nvidia asked us to attend a presentation on something “not graphics related”, we had no idea how much we’d love what they were about to show us…

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

he didnt drop them did he?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

image.png.6511da77ac2199b6949ccf625962d8bf.pngnice

48 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

When Nvidia asked us to attend a presentation on something “not graphics related”, we had no idea how much we’d love what they were about to show us…

What an absolute gamer move by Nvidia. They must know you're going to be testing the 3000s as well as the AMD Navis. That's a ton of faith they have in their products. This is incredible marketing. 

Why balance the GPU on a box when  you could turn the case on its side?  🤦🏻‍♂️

image.png.fd72012f60f38aad025045733c754f16.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

As someone working with electronics.

The statement that "Nvidia claims it is within .25% with their oscilloscopes as far as accuracy goes." seems like you didn't really talk to an engineer, or talked to an engineer that oversimplified things or intentionally lead you astray, or they just didn't even mention anything about an oscilloscope at all.

What one would do for accuracy checks on a device like this is to first look at DC accuracy.
And then its flatness over its measurement range. (By sweeping a single tone with a known amplitude and impedance, though one can just design it with good parts and thereby know that it will be flat within X amount of bandwidth, unless one screwed up the PCB design by a lot. (Changing the current shunt for a 50 ohm resistor would honestly be sufficient down at the low frequencies we would be interested in here.))

Non of that would use an oscilloscope.

Oscilloscopes are primarily designed to do 1 thing, and that is to measure a signal over time.

Most scopes tends to not be within even 3% accurate when it comes to voltage. While most cheep multimeters are 1% or better. (An an actually good multimeter should be better than 0.1%)

And measuring power with a multimeter would honestly work too. Downside is that most multimeters won't give you a nice graph (unless it's a Keithley with their 100+ K samples per second...). But even cheap multimeters tends to have rather flat signal response up to 10 KHz, some even goes to the "industry standard" of 20 MHz. (And there is also volt meters specifically made to measure larger bandwidths than this with exceptional flatness, going into the many GHz.)

Though, a device like this power meter is frankly rather simple. And the latency meter seems like a nice weekend AVR (Aurdino) project. It's just a light sensor sampled by an ADC, and a counter getting triggered by a literal switch...

The power meter is also a simple weekend project, other than the "fancy" PCIe expansion board that one could just draw up in KiCad or the like and order from JLC or other PCB vendor for 10$. And from there, all one would mostly need is some current shunts, an op amp to amplify the singla a bit. Before likewise getting sampled by an ADC (that is within our microcontroller). Any inaccuracies as far as both amplification and current shunt values goes can be handled in software rather easily.

An AVR would be a nice fit with its multiple 12 bit ADCs (at up to 2 million samples per second), rather sizable internal memory, and also USB support would work rather nicely for both of these devices. (It's honestly something I wouldn't be remotely surprised if it is exactly what Nvidia uses... (And this isn't really even a new thing either, have seen plenty of projects like this over the years, not the latency one though. But tapping into a mouse button is rather trivial to be fair.))

But, I should also point out that a device like this would still beat the accuracy of a mains power meter (like the kill a watt), mainly since we can eliminate most of the stuff that we aren't interested in. Thereby getting rid of a large portion of "unknown" power consumption within our system. (And yes, software readouts are iffy at best to be fair. Like even setting Vcore on a motherboard can vary by a noticeable amount from one board to the next, even from the same vendor and series...)

But in the end, this device is nifty, but frankly old news, though nice to see someone make it into an off the shelf product, even though it honestly is really niche.

Spoiler

Nvidia gave us their internal tools… What could go wrong?

Selling them on eBay ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

4 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I'd likely get both IF the price was reasonable, which to be blunt, Nvidia hasnt been doing well with lately.

As some one has already mentioned, its a simple tool, so it shouldnt be to expensive, but being Nvidia ...

Regardless, its a great tool for overclockers and those looking to tune their system for the lowest input latency.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

If you are going to get this as a consumer, how are you going to cable manage that? XD

40 minutes ago, GionnyBanana said:

If you are going to get this as a consumer, how are you going to cable manage that? XD

To be fair.
The power measuring part is practically only useful for development of new cards. Though, when one develops a card one typically goes the more "bodge" way, since prototypes doesn't need to be practical. They just have to work sufficiently to test stuff of interest during development.

I can see LN2 overclockers maybe getting use of monitoring the PCIe power cables, but most overclockers kinda already do this with a current clamp that is accurate enough for this application. (After all, pouring LN2 is a mostly manual thing, unless one is King Pin and has a freaking machine for it...)
Not to mention that some overclockers just tap straight into the VRM controller itself, and get all the information they need... There is an actual connector for this on some motherboards and graphics cards.

In the end, a device like this isn't actually needed in the slightest for actual "normal" use.
A hardware reviewer like LTT or Gamers Nexus, or Bitwit, etc can have actual use for a device like this.
But for anyone just buying a card and putting it in a system, then this information is frankly nothing but a gimmick.

Latency testing on the other hand is a different story, that can have some actual use for the "normal" consumer. But for this, we do not need the power meter.

Do vendors every send LTT something on the express condition that Linus not touch it?

Maybe they should?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Some smart person should backwards engineer these things and sell it.

What's there to reverse-engineer? Measuring voltage and current is easy: you just need a good ADC, a microcontroller and a current shunt resistor with a known value, measure the voltage-drop across the resistor and use that with the resistance-value to calculate current and thus you'll also know the power going through it. For the mouse-thingy, you basically need a microcontroller, a switch and a light-sensor.

The only thing that stands out here is the rather polished software, but even that's not hard to do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What's there to reverse-engineer? Measuring voltage and current is easy: you just need a good ADC, a microcontroller and a current shunt resistor with a known value, measure the voltage-drop across the resistor and use that with the resistance-value to calculate current and thus you'll also know the power going through it. For the mouse-thingy, you basically need a microcontroller, a switch and a light-sensor.

The only thing that stands out here is the rather polished software, but even that's not hard to do.

Then do it!

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Then do it!

I have no interest in measuring a GPU's power-draw.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Linus Drop Tips 

now it‘s official 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Senzelian said:

But I assume you have an interest in money (💲ω💲)

Actually, not much. I know I'm an odd duck, but money doesn't really work as a motivator for me for doing an uninspiring, lame project like that.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Actually, not much. I know I'm an odd duck, but money doesn't really work as a motivator for me for doing an uninspiring, lame project like that.

I'm disappointed. 😐

Hopefully someone is working on it. I bet that these would sell like hot cakes for $29 each or $50 in a bundle.

Nice tools but my Corsair HXi is enough for me to have the statistics by LINK software :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

4 hours ago, X-System said:

Nice tools but my Corsair HXi is enough for me to have the statistics by LINK software :)

Is that actually useable now?

I got the Corsair AX760i when it came out (the first PSU to feature Corsair link) and it was awful. The readings were all wrong, the software was very unresponsive and when it did work, you got basically no useful information out of it.

This was many years ago tho.

46 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Is that actually useable now?

I got the Corsair AX760i when it came out (the first PSU to feature Corsair link) and it was awful. The readings were all wrong, the software was very unresponsive and when it did work, you got basically no useful information out of it.

This was many years ago tho.

I don't have problem with LINK software, it works perfect, stable and I got all informations. I bought my HX750i in January 2020.

On Corsair website, I see it's last version 4.9.9.3 for almost 2 years (01/28/2019). So I use this version (I downloaded it in 2020)

The current Corsair LINK looks like this (for RMi & HXi) :

spacer.png

And for AX1600i, it has more options like this :

spacer.png

For your AX760i, you would have like this :

CP-9020036-NA-corsair_link_v2_group.jpg.a23af515113b971cc226a9d699fb2a31.jpg

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)