Minecraft server lag issues help!

Hello,

I am currently running a modded minecraft forge server for some friends on a dedicated pc

Specs of the server:

Intel Xeon 1650 v2

16gb (4x4gb) ddr3 1866mhz ECC memory

2tb Seagate 7200rpm HDD

Radeon HD 7470 gpu (just so I have a display)

Windows 10, (not linux sorry)

(its a slightly modified HP Z420 if that helps)

The issue is that server often lags and I am unsure as to why. There's never more than 3 people on a time

It is wired through a gigabit ethernet connection on a 1000mbs internet plan so i dont think its the internet

I would believe that the Xeon would be strong enough to handle the server

I have 12gb of the 16gb of memory allocated to the server

Temps don't seem to be an issue as I've monitored them while the server was in use and never passed or came close to the threshold of throttling

I'm just not sure why it is doing it.The mods are relatively light minus a couple biome generating mods.   

Is it the CPU?

Is it the HDD?

Or is it something I am missing?

Bonus question: 

If it is the CPU, would moving the server to a 9th gen i5 help a lot or would there be little improvement? 

what does task manager look like when its lagging?

Does it lag when your on the same local network?

Normally this is single threaded limited, and modded minecraft loves high single threaded performance cpus

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally this is single threaded limited, and modded minecraft loves high single threaded performance cpus

I agree I run Minecraft on my NAS with 16gb of ram and the server is always hitting the cpu limit

I don’t know how fast a Intel Xeon 1650 v2 is If it is more in the slower side that might be the reason 

so so check in taskmanager how high cpu and ram usage are and wether there are any backgroundprograms that are slowing the system down 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

my guess is that it's a modpack issue more than a server issue.

is it a particular modpack you're playing, or just some mods thrown together yourself?

a modded server essentially relies on single core performance of your server for 95%. if one person is exploring new chunks, and there is a mod that makes terrain gen notably heavier, you'll quickly get your server to its knees.

to pinpoint the exact issue.. that'll be difficult.. best i can say is, take note what stuff is happening when you notice the lag, and what *isnt* happening when you notice the lag.

Probably CPU issues. Java Minecraft is all but single threaded, and the Xeon 1650 v2 is a relatively slow chip. The other possibility is seek time problems with your HDD. I'd say this is most likely if you experience problems while people are exploring already explored areas, but I doubt this is the primary issue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

32 minutes ago, SkyguyXD said:

Bonus question: 

If it is the CPU, would moving the server to a 9th gen i5 help a lot or would there be little improvement? 

It's all about the single-thread performance. So yes, a 9th gen i5 (9600) would destroy the old xeon in minecraft server performance. A possibly cheaper option is an older i7-7700k, or 8700k, which will still out-perform the xeon (4GHz+ clock).

Obv, go as new as you can afford. If you have access to an i5-9600(k) system, then go for it.

Try using "forge tps". This should be 20 tps if the server is full speed. If it is lower, try using "debug start", wait a bit, then "debug stop". There will then be results in the bebug folder.

Are the players generating any new chunks?

1 hour ago, SkyguyXD said:

2tb Seagate 7200rpm HDD

I would consider that your hdd is probably taking a beating with chunk generation, and especially if you're running scheduled backups and/or have a third party addon like map generation. 

Since its Windows, open Resource Monitor so you can have a look at the CPU/Memory/Disk utilization when you notice the issue

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA