Windows 10 Ameliorated Ordered to cease operations due to LTT video

emosun
29 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At least on XP I could go to the freaking control panel and change settings instead of being redirected to the new Settings app and then back to the old control panel.

Unfortunately, that's just due to them trying to rip out the 20+ year old spaghetti code in the Control Panel, which no one at Microsoft even understands anymore.

51 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

It would be fine if, and only if, they replaced each entire class of settings (e.g. sound, networking) at once, but they do the exact opposite.

They could just copy the Mac control panel. Meaningful and useful settings are exposed. Everything else is done through command line/xml settings. That would make the transition way faster.

The issue isn't so much creating the new interface, it's making sure they don't completely hose the OS by removing the old code.  Like I said, I doubt there's anyone at MS who actually understands that code anymore, or knows how deep into the OS it goes.  Remove one tiny line of code, and they could potentially break the entire Control Panel (or worse).  That's the part which is taking so long.

In fact, I'm quite sure that's why IE is still included, because too much legacy stuff still depends on it being there.  I don't believe it's just for older software, I think Windows itself still needs it there.

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't think you understand the problem, or how NAT works, or how you'd get compromised.

I played around enough with consumer junk to know a thing or two about it (my main router is running pfsense but i still use my old routers as AP's). It was a long time ago though so ill try a few things tomorrow.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

I played around enough with consumer junk to know a thing or two about it (my main router is running pfsense but i still use my old routers as AP's). It was a long time ago though so ill try a few things tomorrow.

Well to get the equivalent connectivity to back in the day with dial-up modems you'll have to configure your router in bridge/half-bridge mode, which means it's only doing signal conversion and line authentication (if required) and everything else is passed on to the specified LAN bridge port. Normally you would do this for a proper firewall on something like an ADSL2+/VDSL2 connection when the firewall doesn't have a line card for that (basically none do) but you can do it to a PC just fine as well. It's not the best idea though unless it's a Linux computer with firewall enabled.

8 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At least on XP I could go to the freaking control panel and change settings instead of being redirected to the new Settings app and then back to the old control panel.

So do it in the Settings panel? Clearly they removed the option in the old Control Panel which is why they redirect you to the Settings panel.

You complain about going back and forth, but you insist on not learning something new, making you do whatever it takes to go to the old panel.

8 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Not only that, but they also made a super stupid change to the environment variables settings. If you search for user environment variables and click on the link, you can't change system variables, even though they're in the same old control panel window.

Oh I hated this in Windows XP. It didn't have the concept of that no one is Admin, so if you wanted to allow a non-admin account to be able to change their environment vars, they can't (well, you can, but not with ease). If you are in account environments, where the user that needs to change their local environment vars isn't admin, then you cannot do a "Run As". If you did, you would edit your account (the admin one), local variable 🤦‍♀️️. Lovely. So you had to do it via the registry, or go through hoops.

Windows 10 (since Vista), gives you the option for either if you are an admin, or only local if you are not.

1911575544_Screenshot2020-09-28083633.png.4254987947f8fbe4e10b38c69def2501.png

(Admin account pictured on top).

If you pick "Edit the system environment variables", you get the UAC prompt.

If you pick "Edit environment variables for your account", you won't, but you can't change the system ones.

And the best part, is that you can edit environment variable with easy. Windows XP, gives you 1 line in a tiny box, and good luck!

Now, you have an actual way to edit path with ease:

63388345_Screenshot2020-09-28084447.png.bcc461ef4274ec9f09cd9bc7a0342aab.png

And just in case you need more space, you can scale the panel.

So no, Windows XP wasn't better, in any shape or form. You'll not convince anyone.

43 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So no, Windows XP wasn't better, in any shape or form. You'll not convince anyone.

it ran better than windows 10's brick the os method every month method

42 minutes ago, emosun said:

it ran better than windows 10's brick the os method every month method

Yea amazing OS with 3.7GB at most support. And the OS pagefiling like madness, even of you have several GB free. Chicken wire has less security issues than WinXP, easy turn local restricted account to full admin (experienced this when working IT, was a lovely virus, and network infected other computers... confirmed by security audit that the setup was good... which was the event that triggered Win7 upgrade at the time). Great OS indeed...

Talking about Windows Update.. ahh yes the forced IE Windows Update that breaks many times, and slow as crap.

I think you guys have selective memories at work. You recall only the good things of the past, forgot the awfulness.  And Windows update issues, where there before as well. It's not new. The only thing that is new is. growing online community which brings to light some issues which, you, as a read, don't know the full story (example: was the system infected by malware/virus in the past, was a registry cleaner was used at some point in time... etc.)

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

sombody doesn't know xp was 64bit as well

I know that OS, including Itanium edition.

Good luck with that OS version. Clearly you never used it. I did. WinMe was better. Good thing it was never sold to retail.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Good luck with that OS version. Clearly you never used it.

i think you need a nap

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I know that OS, including Itanium edition.

Good luck with that OS version. Clearly you never used it. I did. WinMe was better. Good thing it was never sold to retail.

I used it.  Ran it as my primary OS (fully switched around RC2) for 2-3 years before finally switching to Vista.  It had its faults, but I definitely wouldn't say ME was better.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I used it.  Ran it as my primary OS (fully switched around RC2) for 2-3 years before finally switching to Vista.  It had its faults, but I definitely wouldn't say ME was better.

Ewww Windows ME, no thanks. I also used Windows XP 64bit as my primary and it worked fine, before that i used Windows 2000 Professional. I really had no desire to use any of the MS-DOS based Windows operating systems, even used Windows NT 3.5 and 4.0.

• 9 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 8:32 PM, SFFDesigns said:

I guarantee that was not the goal here. Idk if you are joking or not though.

I'm also sure @LinusTech and the rest of LMG had no idea something like this would happen to the project by making a video. Honestly, I'm not sure why this video would affect it, since most of LTT's audience is interested in gaming or gaming PCs, I doubt that many would use Windows 10 Ameliorated anyway, considering "hit-or-miss" DX12 support. I think MS blew this out of proportion and should have considered who LMG's main audience is, which I don't believe includes too many people willing to sacrifice things like DX12.

Seeing this happen is a real shame though

They seem to have fixed that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9kYWmQrk_U