Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emosun

Windows 10 Ameliorated Ordered to cease operations due to LTT video

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, rrubberr said:

I run Windows 8.1 embedded on my daily machine, mostly Windows 7 for things I virtualize because I got a couple dozen licenses free, I have a Windows 2000 machine running and connected to the internet. You don't need the latest OS version nor do you need the latest updates. That's silly. "Just don't get viruses" really isn't a hard task to accomplish :P 

 

Maybe magical spooky doom viruses exist and I'm just not smart enough to find them 🤷‍♂️

How does one knows that they have a virus or not, if they don't have an anti-virus software?

Not all viruses conveniently bit-coin (or whatever) your system, or annoys you with ads and random pop-ups.

 

Just saying...

 

Historically, it has happened that legit trusted sites distributed all sorts of malware. They can get compromised, and some can have its ad platform compromised or by-pass the ad platform security checks, and end up exploiting a web browser vulnerability. Again, just saying...

 

Also you have a virus on your system.... it's called Windows...... Har har har!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Historically, it has happened that legit trusted sites distributed all sorts of malware. They can get compromised, and some can have its ad platform compromised or by-pass the ad platform security checks, and end up exploiting a web browser vulnerability. Again, just saying...

yeah but A LOT of it relies on either the user already having downloaded a file manually , connecting to a network that contains an infected machine already , or blatently ignoring obvious signs that they could get infected by proceeding to use a service via a web browser or some other web connected app

The implication that some lone machine directly connected to a modem with no network or even users can somehow get a virus just sitting there is the sort of misinformation that makes people in that situation hate these terrible updates that have no relation to their setup.

If you think every person on earth is connected to the internet via a giant office buildings network then yeah I can see why you'd live a life of constant fear from viruses 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how this thread has diverted from the original conversation about Windows 10 Ameliorated Edition to talking about Updating vs. Not Updating. lol

 

p.s.  Update your damn OS, people!


Quinnell - PC Gaming Enthusiast / Patriot

br.quinnell.io | Belligerent Renegades (American Gaming Clan)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking from much personal experience, the chance of getting operational issues or fully bricking your system and having to reinstall everything as a result of installing Windows updates is far higher than that of having to do the same from malware.

 

If you think it's reckless to run your Windows installation without Windows updates, then it's all the more reckless to run it with Windows updates.

 

I've run OSes without any updates for up to 5 years at a time, and have never once had to reinstall things as a result, and I don't recall having any infections since at least 2013, either.

 

But pretty much every major Windows 10 update will cause issues somewhere, whether you notice them right away or not. And a few times has wrecked my OS to the point a reinstall was required. So, any time you accept a major Windows update, it's like choosing to install a virus on your PC and hope for the best.

 

Microsoft QA is absolutely garbage nowadays. And, yes, it's more reckless to update your Windows OS with Microsoft patches than it is to disable Windows Update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Escanor said:

Knowning this is a issue makes me wonder if this is n danger to https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Not to mention Macrium reflect has a windows pe boot disk aswell as many apps that use windows pe envoriment

Windows PE is totally different, with a different licensing model.

 

It's licensing specifically says it's for Deployment and Recovery purposes - which is exactly the kind of thing you're doing with Hirens and other WinPE based boot disks.

 

It would be a problem if Hirens came out with a version of Windows based off of WinPE that was supposed to be a general purpose permanent OS install, rather than a temporary recovery mechanism.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 5:37 AM, emosun said:

LTT , if you find anything else really cool , please keep it to yourself.

This is what happens when big media outlets like L**, T** ***** etc. Try to cover projects that are not big corporate ones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Phew.....they haven't discovered our sekrets hopefully......*cough*v*cough*chokes to death*

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 7:07 PM, emosun said:

LTT , if you find anything else really cool , please keep it to yourself.

Why? If it's illegal it'll eventually get a cease and desist, or other legal action. Linus only brought forth the inevitable. If it's legal, there's nothing to worry about


FOLDING MONTH IS AMONG US

Either (@piratemonkey) or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Windows PE is totally different, with a different licensing model.

 

It's licensing specifically says it's for Deployment and Recovery purposes - which is exactly the kind of thing you're doing with Hirens and other WinPE based boot disks.

 

It would be a problem if Hirens came out with a version of Windows based off of WinPE that was supposed to be a general purpose permanent OS install, rather than a temporary recovery mechanism.

 

Good to know that's it not in any danger then, i personaly use it in network boot envoriment to either do full clean install or testing purpose or in rare cases backups which i usually just use another tool for cos its faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 2:36 AM, Master Disaster said:

Microsoft built in the ability for Windows to lock unactivated users out of customisation features, almost like a trial version ... SNIP ... There's a VERY big difference from running the OS as it was provided and not activating it at all compared to modifying the OS to trick it into thinking it has been activatedOne technically breaks the EULA but only does so because MS allows it to. The other is straight up piracy.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:34 AM, jagdtigger said:

Thats the thing, there is none. You can install it and use without PD key, it wont nag about it either. You loose some customization  options but thats about it.

 
 
 

Unless you live in a country where Consumer Protection Laws stipulate that you're legally entitled to run software without a license for a certain number of days in order to evaluate it, there is no trial or evaluation period stipulated in the EULA for Windows 10 Home / Pro Retail versions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/Useterms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

 

The only legal way to run Windows without a valid license (backed up by proof of purchase) is to acquire Windows 10 Enterprise edition from Microsoft's own software evaluation website, after which you can run it for up to 90 days before you need to purchase a license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows

 

On 9/9/2020 at 8:48 AM, Delicieuxz said:

... according to some posts, their modified image didn't come pre-activated but they still can't distribute the IP-holder's copyrighted work without their permission. 

https://ameliorated.info/faq.html#legal

image.png.a87cd0d0367826525528efdbd16cb6bb.png


Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kirashi said:

Unless you live in a country where Consumer Protection Laws stipulate that you're legally entitled to run software without a license for a certain number of days in order to evaluate it, there is no trial or evaluation period stipulated in the EULA for Windows 10 Home / Pro Retail versions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/Useterms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

 

The only legal way to run Windows without a valid license (backed up by proof of purchase) is to acquire Windows 10 Enterprise edition from Microsoft's own software evaluation website, after which you can run it for up to 90 days before you need to purchase a license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows

 

https://ameliorated.info/faq.html#legal

image.png.a87cd0d0367826525528efdbd16cb6bb.png

Yeah people keep claiming that the ISO is inactivated and it's up to the user to decide how to use it (activate or not, etc), and that's simply not the case. Their own FAQ dismisses that baseless claim.

 

That one legal disclaimer is all the evidence Microsoft needs to be justified in their actions of taking it down. That's straight up a cracked and activated version of Windows. They're basically washing their hands of it and saying "Well it's up to you to make sure you own a legit key".

 

The DIY guide is different (assuming they don't go into detail on how to activate a generic key and crack Windows), as that places the onus directly onto the end user to ensure things are legally squared away.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 4:26 AM, Delicieuxz said:

Speaking from much personal experience, the chance of getting operational issues or fully bricking your system and having to reinstall everything as a result of installing Windows updates is far higher than that of having to do the same from malware.

 

If you think it's reckless to run your Windows installation without Windows updates, then it's all the more reckless to run it with Windows updates.

 

I've run OSes without any updates for up to 5 years at a time, and have never once had to reinstall things as a result, and I don't recall having any infections since at least 2013, either.

 

But pretty much every major Windows 10 update will cause issues somewhere, whether you notice them right away or not. And a few times has wrecked my OS to the point a reinstall was required. So, any time you accept a major Windows update, it's like choosing to install a virus on your PC and hope for the best.

 

Microsoft QA is absolutely garbage nowadays. And, yes, it's more reckless to update your Windows OS with Microsoft patches than it is to disable Windows Update.

 

You know what actually sucks though? Identity theft. The updates exist for a reason, to keep your system secure. You think having to reinstall your software is bad, wait until a hacker roots your computer and you have a $200k loan taken out in your name. 

 

Hackers exist, and since no one is willing to throw them into a volcano as a warning, updating your computer is important. Also, backup your system regularly, and if it gets bricked by an update you can restore it. I've never had an update brick a computer though.


My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 5:26 AM, Delicieuxz said:

If you think it's reckless to run your Windows installation without Windows updates, then it's all the more reckless to run it with Windows updates.

Sure, if you're someone with no money or assets then you can say that potential software glitches are more reckless than avoiding patches for 5 years. 

 

That said, back in the adult world where financial consequences matter, running for 5 years without security updates is absolutely moronic.


MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

"You must be A BABY if you don't download Windows updates REGULARLY. Further, if you don't install Windows updates, your social security number, banking information, and all personal information will MAGICALLY be beamed to everyone!"

 

Yeah or nothing will happen and you'll just be using an older version of Windows lol, even at an enterprise level🤷‍♂️

Everybody gangsta until they're a victim of identity theft.

 

Oddly enough, the only people I know that have had otherwise inexplicable identity theft are the types to ignore OS and antivirus updates. It's probably just an amazing series of coincidences though, and not an indicator of how important security updates are...


My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

It literally is, that's what we in The Biz (TM) call anecdotal evidence!

Except there's plenty of evidence demonstrating that leaving your computer unprotected invites identity theft, so whatever "Biz" you're in might want to take another look.


My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Except there's plenty of evidence demonstrating that leaving your computer unprotected invites identity theft, so whatever "Biz" you're in might want to take another look.

The tens of millions of machines using windows 7 disagree

But it sure is fun watching people who don't have windows restore anymore run around in circles about updates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rrubberr said:

Yeah or nothing will happen and you'll just be using an older version of Windows lol, even at an enterprise level🤷‍♂️

Mmmm no, enterprises certainly do Windows Updates and buy extended support (which is required now for updates). Those that do not are not "enterprises" and are just some business doing their thing choosing cost of business over potential security concern.

 

Because the last thing we need, or anyone like us needs, is a security breach where the root cause is traced back to an unpatched system that has exposed confidential research data and/or personal information. Such a breach in real cost and reputation cost, both these alone individually, far exceed the cost and effort of keeping systems up to date properly and purchasing extended support licenses.

 

We still have Windows Server 2008 R2 systems and some Windows 7 systems but they all have extended support and are patched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rrubberr said:

"You must be A BABY if you don't download Windows updates REGULARLY. Further, if you don't install Windows updates, your social security number, banking information, and all personal information will MAGICALLY be beamed to everyone!"

 

Yeah or nothing will happen and you'll just be using an older version of Windows lol, even at an enterprise level🤷‍♂️

The level of ignorance here is pretty strong. 


MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

A preventative measure =/= an observed issue. In the eternal words of SuperMicro "Please do not upgrade UNLESS your system has a related issue." Emphasis not added.

What because Supermicro represents all software and hardware vendors in the market? Hell no, they specifically make cheaper hardware with much worse QA on their firmware releases to keep the cost down. I get emails from HPE every time they release firmware for anything and the advice is, and will always be, install as soon as possible. But this doesn't really have anything to do with Windows updates so 🤷‍♂️

 

Edit:

And yes when it comes to security a preventative measure is equal to an observed issue because you cannot go back in time and secure a breached system, it's too late and has already happened. It's not something that can be fixed, the only possible actions for such a thing is mitigation and nothing else. If you are observing a security breach then you have already failed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rrubberr said:

I guess I haven't been exposed to enough "LifeLock (TM)" fear mongering, or the wire demons haven't decided to infect my system yet...?

Neither are you a high value target with over 30,000 users that has to provide network services for managed and unmanaged devices that also hosts internally and externally accessible services.

 

Like sure you can go basically forever running Windows 7 on a computer at home that only ever gets used for playing games and very rare web browsing and pretty well never get a virus but you're only protected because you're behind a NAT and there aren't other systems and other users on your network that are a risk to you.

 

When your risk is low and the potential impact is low it is going to seem pointless to go through the effort, if your risk is not low and potential impact is also not low that is a different story.

 

We process credit card payments, we pay salaries and purchase orders, we run open and closed contract tenders, we have medical data (research and also client data from medical center services), as well as that mentioned research data (because we are a university, it's our core thing we do). There are legal requirements we have to meet, it's not even a choice and we get audited every year and consequences of not updating (outside of security risk) is for things like losing our ability to process credit cards or funding being denied or reduced or being in breach of a contract. Our systems are patched because it is not just the proper thing to do but we have to, there is no choice here and that is not any different to any other enterprise business.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, winning.exe said:

This is a consumer technology forum. Probably not too applicable to the guy who started this by saying he runs un-updated Windows 7 or whatever the case was.

True, just he mentioned enterprises so was like, mm not sure about that since I work in one. It's a lot easier when you only have to worry about yourself, just gotta remember that also when giving advice.

 

Honestly it's not like Windows Updates are just waiting and ready to make your computer explode, just don't have it set for immediate install as soon as released and that covers 99.999% of the problems that have existed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now with work from home being a thing, this is even more important to keep all your systems in your network updated. Not only for your job (as you are ultimately responsible), but also others on your home network (as again, you are responsible for company data). If you have a family remember working from home, despite you going to school and playing games on your system... you are a serious security concern if you are not up-to-date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

snip

Since the people behind the project have already said its not the case, can we get the click bait title changed?


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

That said, back in the adult world where financial consequences matter, running for 5 years without security updates windows is absolutely moronic.

FIFY....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×