$900 for an Xbox Series X?

elfensky

Summary

Of all companies to do it, Pringles may have accidentally leaked XSX pricing in the terms and conditions of one of their promotions. They mention 46 Xbox' with an estimated retail value of R621,000.
That comes to R13,500 per unit, which amounts to about $900 USD.
image.thumb.png.edee23afc9eaa75a07fd2a80a63249bc.png

Quotes

A new marketing partnership between South African influencers, Pringles, and Xbox -- has gamers taking home a next-gen Xbox Series X console and Game Pass subscription. Not a bad price, first of all -- but with 46 consoles to be given out to lucky gamers, the price of the Xbox Series X can be mathed out.

The contest post on FB says that the total cost of the Pringles x Xbox Series X promotion costs R621,000 -- which divided by the 46 consoles up on offer, breaks down to R13,500. Now, R13,500 converted to USD at the time of writing is pretty much $900 on the line.

Could the Xbox Series X cost $900? It seems so... I mean we might see Microsoft have cheaper pricing on US soil, so even a $799 price is feasible if the math in the Pringles promotion and giveaway is correct.

My thoughts

This is way more than what I (and I think many others) expected it to be. For $900 you can put together a damn good gaming rig, which will not only be able to do way more than a console, but will also be upgradeable.

13 minutes ago, Derangel said:

And what's thew price of other consoles in South Africa? Why do people always assume that a supposed (it might not even be the final price) in one country means something will be the same price in all countries?

South African pricing is fairly comparable to Europe's pricing - you can currently get a PS4 Slim for R6,799 (~$410USD), which is about what it currently costs here in Belgium (€340).

Sources

https://twitter.com/CaV1E/status/1301811412310913025

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74966/xbox-series-price-leaked-by-pringles-could-be-upwards-of-900/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/notes/pringles/pringles-xbox-promotion-terms-conditions/3944887225526557/

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I highly doubt it's that high, I don't think it will be able to sell. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Pringles? Does console gamers not eat doritos like PC gamers do?

Or the moustache man is trying to get a piece of the gamer pie from Doritos and mountain dew

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It's very vague indeed. Indeed South Africa has passed a new law regarding taxes and stuff since January 1st. I'm impacted because my Adobe monthly subscription fee has increased although I don't live in SA.

On top of that, this could be a launch bundle or something with controllers, games, subscriptions included but overall I was expecting it to be around $600 or maybe a bit more since $600 was the launch price of the PS3. $700 in 2020 would make a lot of sense.

12 minutes ago, Derangel said:

And what's thew price of other consoles in South Africa? Why do people always assume that a supposed (it might not even be the final price) in one country means something will be the same price in all countries?

I have edited my article so include a tiny bit of research. Current SA pricing is comparable to Europe's (Belgium specifically) pricing, so I think it's okay to compare the prices in this case.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

16 minutes ago, elfensky said:

I have edited my article so include a tiny bit of research. Current SA pricing is comparable to Europe's (Belgium specifically) pricing, so I think it's okay to compare the prices in this case.

Not really, current pricing is based on current market trends. The prices in the promotion would be the MSRP, so for an apples to apples comparison you need to find launch MSRPs for the Xbox Ones (Playstations can't be compared the same way because the logistics are different for Sony).

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

56 minutes ago, elfensky said:

This is way more than what I (and I think many others) expected it to be. For $900 you can put together a damn good gaming rig, which will not only be able to do way more than a console, but will also be upgradeable.

From the rumors around the web,it will have a Ryzen 7 3700 and a 5700 XT like GPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

There's a reason there's a massive disclaimer in the Value section of the prizing chart

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

From the rumors around the web,it will have a Ryzen 7 3700 and a 5700 XT like GPU.

Kinda trash if it's this price point seeing how you could probably fit a 3070 and a r5 2600 in that budget which would probably easily beat it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It's probably some kind of special edition / bundle that jacks the price up.

6 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Kinda trash if it's this price point seeing how you could probably fit a 3070 and a r5 2600 in that budget which would probably easily beat it. 

No... that would be a terrible pairing.

31 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

At 4K raytraced? I mean that's what the XSX claims to do right?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Well they are pre release, and they were bought for a giveaway, and this is insured value rather than purchase cost.  I’m actually surprised it’s so low.  I would think even a hot Xbox today (as opposed to say even next week) might be worth a good bit more than $900

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

You can almost definitely pull off a 3600 instead.

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

At 4K raytraced? I mean that's what the XSX claims to do right?

Still, 4k amd rtx. Also, I would prefer a better CPU for what is basically a

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

2080ti. I think a 3600 would be the minimum CPU for a 2080ti.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

I mean I'm seeing 3600s at 200 bucks rn, and the motherboard, ram, PSU, case, assuming you get decent quality components for each of them, would probably go over budget. Still, my point stands that an XSX at the theoretical price of 900 bucks would be a horrible deal 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Isn't there a rumour that there will be two XboX': One more expensive and powerful and the other less expensive and powerful?

Still, I doubt that the more powerful version would be $900. You could buy (just barely) a high-end Nvidia GPU, or 64.28% of Nvidia's top-tier gaming GPU for that price.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's probably some kind of special edition / bundle that jacks the price up.

At 4K the 2600 will be fine,I have done an extensive experimentation about CPU bottleneck.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

XE Currency conversion shows R13,500 as 813 USD.

I'm gonna assume this includes 20% tax as someone above mentioned South African tax is similar to european tax.

This leaves $649 USD as the before tax price.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Whatever it ends, it's still a lot cheaper than flagship phones. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

and even graphic cards, not even considering all the other components

18 hours ago, elfensky said:

Summary

Of all companies to do it, Pringles may have accidentally leaked XSX pricing in the terms and conditions of one of their promotions. They mention 46 Xbox' with an estimated retail value of R621,000.
That comes to R13,500 per unit, which amounts to about $900 USD.
image.thumb.png.edee23afc9eaa75a07fd2a80a63249bc.png

Quotes

My thoughts

South African pricing is fairly comparable to Europe's pricing - you can currently get a PS4 Slim for R6,799 (~$410USD), which is about what it currently costs here in Belgium (€340).

Sources

https://twitter.com/CaV1E/status/1301811412310913025

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74966/xbox-series-price-leaked-by-pringles-could-be-upwards-of-900/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/notes/pringles/pringles-xbox-promotion-terms-conditions/3944887225526557/

I wouldn't put too much stock in that, and my partner is South African.

The tax and import costs certainly play a role, and the contest holder may be padding things out. Remember, this is a brand new console showing up in SA during the launch period... that's going to be expensive. (It took ages for iPhones to be readily available in the country, for example.) There's also the question of whether or not you're getting just the Xbox or a bundle. It's implied this is just the system, but I wouldn't count on it.

On this note: I wish Microsoft and Sony would stop playing their game of chicken and just announce prices already. If one is worried that the other will undercut its pricing, it can surely cut the price immediately afterward if there's breathing room.

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

and even graphic cards, not even considering all the other components

There are many graphics cards though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 9/6/2020 at 12:14 AM, Moonzy said:

Pringles? Does console gamers not eat doritos like PC gamers do?

No, that's just xbots, ponys eat pringles 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

As some others have pointed out, there's two things that you haven't taken into account; import tariffs and taxes.

The listing states that it includes GST, which in South Africa is 15%.

South Africa doesn't have a tariff on video game consoles, however you can figure it costs a little to have them imported (shipping, brokerage, etc).

So, if we factor that in, plus the fact things are slightly more expensive there than the US (I checked the Xbox One S, it's $100US more in SA than the US...though I only checked one source so who knows how accurate that really is), you come out with around $599 US for launch pricing, or $100 more than the last Xbox. It's of course more than possible we see pricing at $549, as a $50 price bump would hardly be scoffed at by most consumers.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, Shreyas1 said:

Kind of a pointless comparison to make, chances are if someone's buying a console, they want a console, not a PC.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:05 PM, Bombastinator said:

Well they are pre release, and they were bought for a giveaway, and this is insured value rather than purchase cost.  I’m actually surprised it’s so low.  I would think even a hot Xbox today (as opposed to say even next week) might be worth a good bit more than $900

I don't think anyone would pay more than $1,000 for a console. It's not multi use enough.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

The 2080Ti starts to bottleneck when you use it with the 3600.

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

XE Currency conversion shows R13,500 as 813 USD.

I'm gonna assume this includes 20% tax as someone above mentioned South African tax is similar to european tax.

This leaves $649 USD as the before tax price.

They only have 15% tax, but yes, I think we'll see a $599 price in the US.

14 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Another pointless comparison. Completely different things. It's like saying your dishwasher is cheaper than an oven.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

e 2080Ti starts to bottleneck when you use it with the 3600.

Hence minium.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler