We fixed Windows 10 - Microsoft will HATE this!

3 minutes ago, CerealOveride said:

I did get the torrent link to work, so that's still working for the moment?

Please don't share it if people ask. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

So using Windows 10 is like using an Android phone now. You're either running 12 different kinds of spyware, or a cut down out-of-date re-package made by an anonymous hobbyist somewhere.

You're postponing a problem, not solving it. Windows and MacOS will only ever get worse.

18 minutes ago, Granular said:

So using Windows 10 is like using an Android phone now. You're either running 12 different kinds of spyware, or a cut down out-of-date re-package made by an anonymous hobbyist somewhere.

You're postponing a problem, not solving it. Windows and MacOS will only ever get worse.

Yeah. This is the main reason I avoided going from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

Plus they skipped 9. That just means that it was so good, they couldn't release it...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

If you want a spotlight like app for Windows, There is PowerToys by Microsoft on their Github page. I use it, and it is pretty amazing. 

10 hours ago, zerosevenkay said:

Hey guys long story short don't trust any iso file on the internet there can be hidden malware with it. 

--snip--

I recommend everyone one of you that's  read through this or is interested in this topic or competitive gaming to look further into this community of tweaking and maybe give it a shot to expand your knowledge with windows and how terrbile it really is for hardcore gamers. Cheers.

lol that's the longest unpunctuated wall of text I've seen in a long time...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Windows 10 is known to come with a lot of telemetry and other “features” that reduce privacy in order to work as “software as a service”. Thankfully, there’s an effort to ameliorate this…

Check out Windows 10 Ameliorated: https://ameliorated.info/

RE: WINDOWS SEARCH

IMPORTANT!!!!
Hi Linus
I haven't used Windows Search in around 8 years.
There is a program called "Everything" by Voidtools (David Carpenter.) which is, once it has cataloged the files (a few seconds) on ALL connected hard drives and network connected drives, INSTANT.
https://www.voidtools.com/
Give him a plug if you like it!

Faster than Google. Because it runs in DOS I think not through the OS.
It is very usefully customisable. and can search by name, dates (access, created etc etc) file type, anything. You can save a backup of search results with all connected drives also, in case you want to see what you have which is not currently plugged in.
Windows search is SO slow. It is utterly trash compared to this.
I would say is has saved me at least weeks if not more of time since I use it.
The other program which has saved me zillions of hours is Process Lasso by Bitsum. Check it out. I can run as many processes as I like the the PC never crashes. It never makes anything slower. It just restrained processes which clog things up to slow them down a bit so that everything i want to run can run.

Just because of these two programs alone - I will never touch a mac.

Hope this helps!

Personally a Linux user but sometimes I need to use Windows.  But then I make sure to use educational or medical licenses of  Windows 10 Workstation and make sure telemetry are disabled in the group policies.   EU (I'm in EU) laws prevent even crash logs to be sent back to Microsoft from medical or educational organisations. 

I love how when I block all the different types of telemetry nothing in regards to Win10's Internet check to achievements in Windows Solitaire work.

Let them datamine or you don't get your tasty achievements.

Yes, thanks Windows, I totally don't have Internet access on this PC.  I'm listening to Bandcamp and browsing forums and studying AWS courses through sheer force of will.

9 hours ago, Hawx said:

This is just copypasta at this point, I've definitely seen it more than once. It's written as if there's no possible reason Microsoft might want to know how your system is operating. Microsoft is made up of thousands of engineers across hundreds of different teams. Each team wants to see diagnostic metrics over the piece of the pie they happen to own. The metrics are aggregated, anonymised and most of the original data deleted after 90 days. Unlike the Linux community, the average windows 10 user does not have the technical skillset or motivation to report to microsoft that an audio driver is throwing some errors somewhere in the kernel.

You might think it's CP, but this is from my own research from being a sysadmin for the gov't.

If they (MS) want to know what's going on with my system, they can fucking ask, as opposed to taking it without my permission.

And considering MS fired their QA/QC staff, it's a damning indicator of just what they think of quality control, and the user experience.

No thanks. I flatly refuse to run win10. (I still run windows on my main system, Windows 8.1 industry embedded professional, and it's bloody fantastic) but I am actively exploring a switch to *nix full-time, but that's a discussion for another time. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Curious how this affects Windows 10 Pro for Workstation - would a user have more control and not need the mods they're showing here?

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

You might think it's CP, but this is from my own research from being a sysadmin for the gov't.

Your research clearly sucks then. Otherwise you would've quickly discovered that the triangle of "Microsoft's main revenue source", "Microsoft's product strategy", and "Microsoft's privacy policies" certainly doesn't equal some melodramatic grand conspiracy where Microsoft went out of their way to harvest your personal information. Microsoft is now a cloud services company, and Windows is nowhere near its main focus.

Microsoft actually goes to great lengths to scrub, anonymise and aggregate inbound data into non-identifiable sample points, and has internal teams dedicated to maintaining the privacy of its users. Again, it's not a magical black box where there's some bad actor at Microsoft going "yes please the data from Radium_Angel yum yum"

as opposed to taking it without my permission.

Legally you agreed when you installed the operating system.

they can fucking ask

Yeah sure mate, do you mind emailing me this data point: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/required-windows-diagnostic-data-events-and-fields-2004#microsoftwindowsinventorycoreinventorydevicepnpadd

It ensures that the windows update you're about to install doesn't brick your system due to an incompatible driver. Oh yeah, just email me this for every single update.

When the next feature update is available, be sure to email me the these checksums:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/required-windows-diagnostic-data-events-and-fields-2004#microsoftwindowsappraisergeneralchecksumtotalpicturecount

They make sure the update you're about to install isn't corrupted or malicious. 

What? You lied in the last telemetry email you sent us because you were lazy??? Now all of our data is useless! If only there were some way to make sure you weren't trying to send us garbage data:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/required-windows-diagnostic-data-events-and-fields-2004#telclientsyntheticheartbeat_5

And considering MS fired their QA/QC staff, it's a damning indicator of just what they think of quality control, and the user experience.

Whilst that firing sucked, QA/QC staff have their limits, especially with the billions of different hardware and software combinations out in the wild. You might remember there was a feature update (1809) a few years ago that resulted in data loss for a tiny percent of people. Microsoft used its migration telemetry that's designed to track data loss scenarios:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/required-windows-diagnostic-data-events-and-fields-2004#microsoftwindowsmigrationcoremigobjectcountdlusr

and combined it with the other telemetry points to figure out it was a problem with the Known Folder Redirection feature being enabled and old versions of OneDrive. It's unlikely this scenario would've been covered by manual internal testing, and diagnosing the problem would've been incredibly difficult without the ability to correlate system data.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

9 hours ago, CerealOveride said:

And It's gone.

Note: I did get the torrent link to work, so that's still working for the moment?

ISO Torrent listed on that telegram link 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

13 hours ago, Phoned_ said:

All of LMG use pirated copies of windows. They made a vid explaining why

It’s not pirated, it’s just not activated and there is a difference. when your constantly changing hardware and reinstalling the os, activation can be a pain in the ass, and it has its limits before you have to call up ms, every time it needs to reactivate. Why bother calling them with the constant deactivation when the os is going to get wiped out. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Luscious said:

Curious how this affects Windows 10 Pro for Workstation - would a user have more control and not need the mods they're showing here?

Depending on version of Workstation you have you can disable all telemetry in the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) under Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components->Data Collection and Preview Builds.  Under Allow Telemetry you activate the policy then set option value to 0.

26 minutes ago, Geekosaurus said:

*snip*

What a horrible idea!  You should never trust an ISO, so far he is right.  But trust a software to modify an ISO is just as bad!  You have no clue what that program add that you can see.  You might as well use the ISO, no difference.

Making the changes yourself is the only safe way.

7 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Making the changes yourself is the only safe way.

Just to clarify: it's only safe if you absolutely know what you're doing... if you don't, or if you are following some random online guide, then you risk introducing bugs and holes.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Just to clarify: it's only safe if you absolutely know what you're doing... if you don't, or if you are following some random online guide, then you risk introducing bugs and holes.

You are 100% correct.  To anyone that want to try anything like this I would recommend using VM and take one step at the time to learn more. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

After working in The Biz for a while, I have some knowledge of why.

Any organization inside a software development house will function like a bureaucracy, as any organization will eventually fall into this despite hopes for pseudoanarchy. In the case of QA, they're often left to their own devices. This "just... tell us what's wrong" approach means that there's a disconnect between developers and testers.

From my understanding, Microsoft started encouraging developers inside to test releases through some form of internal "insiders program". We know that this sort of thing exists because of folks like Jen Gentleman talking about, but also things like BuildFeed (RIP) where we saw a lot of internal branches; it's now well documented over on wikipedia. This also means that broader bugs in Windows are caught by the developers before more users see it.

What this means is that Microsoft has shifted how they test Windows. Why? Strangely, because having independent QA teams leads to a horrible pattern called Tester-Driven Development. Having a QA team that exists only for QA means that development focus shifts constantly to their beck and call. This also means that advancement within the QA team is almost entirely driven by your ability to spit out bugs for developers to fix... even if those bugs are meaningless or really caused by a deeper problem. This causes a lot of surface level problems to get patched over (we've seen some of those throughout Windows' development history) and doesn't give developers enough time to go back and find root causes.

Now, that's not to say that bugs don't happen, but here's what it takes for a bug to make it out:

• it has to make it past the development team that is actively working on it (ballpark 20-30 people)
  • It has to make it past the "canary" channel (nightly builds, probably 200-300 people)
  • It has to make it past the "Selfhost" channel (builds that have been approved by those 200-300 people)
  • It has to make it past the "Dev" channel, the first time it's seen outside of Microsoft. (likely 3-4k people)
  • It has to make it past the "Microsoft" channel, where it's rolled out across workstations inside Micorosoft (50-100k at minimum)
  • It has to make it past the "Beta" channel, the first time most consumer Insiders get to see it. This is the most unstable channel that is publicly available to users. (Ballpark 5 million people)
  • It has to make it past the "Release Preview" channel, the last channel before it goes live to the rest of the world (ballpark 3-4 million people)

If you're curious how many people it takes inside Microsoft to get a thing out the door, the blog posts How Many Microsoft Employees Does It Take to Change a Lightbulb by Eric Lippert, a developer on windows, and Thinking through a feature by Raymond Chen, one of the oldest developers in Windows. Both of these are probably some of the best looks into what it takes to get a change into Windows; change "Feature" to "Bugfix" and the logic still holds the same.

And yet bugs still exist in Windows. So, how bad of a bug does it need to be in order to not get squashed?

Let's assume that a developer is worth, ballpark, $100/hr and it'll take 5-6 developers to get it fixed, tested, and reviewed before it goes to Canary. That's between $500-800 per hour of development time, give or take. with a typical bug fix taking between 100-200 hours worth of time to properly diagnose and triage. That's $500,000-$1,600,000 in developer time for a single bug. That's not including the time of the PM, god help you if there's localization problems, etc.

Now, how many users does that bug affect? Let's assume there are 800 million Windows users at any one given time (since that's the last number we've gotten out of Windows.) 100,000 people at a time is only shy of 0.125% of users. That's such a small fraction of people that it isn't worth time (shy of someone getting a real bug up their ass) to go fix it. it's spending $1million on a thing that affects 0.125% of the population when that same $1m (or, likely, $2-3million) could be spent dealing with a bug that affects 1,000,000 users (12.5%).

The other issue is that to fix a bug, they have to find out if it's any number of categories. These are all real situations that I know have caused intermittent bugs:

• is it a bad version of the nVidia graphics driver that only gets shipped to users running older Quadro cards?
  • is it a CPU instruction that isn't being interpreted correctly and as a result something gets shoved to an off-by-1 error?
  • is it a race condition caused by high speed networks being just right that a coil of 100ft of cat5 sitting under someone's desk causes two threads to lose the race at the wrong time?
  • Is it caused by a buggy USB3 controller that was only used by one vendor for one generation of machine before the controller was updated due to a bug in the actual silicon, and thus it only occurs on that one specific generation of HP Elitebooks?
  • is it caused by lower quality HDMI cables getting interference during display EDID reading that causes the display to do something weird because windows trusted the EDID values a little too much?
  • Is it a configuration that was otherwise uncommon but promoted on some blog as a "really cool trick" and now causes people to lose their data because someone tried to be clever?

Lastly, the developers often go in blind trying to figure out what's going on. They get a vague "when I click the start button 1,000 times, the 1001th time it doesn't render right." There could be any NUMBER of things that happen between 1,000 clicks of the start menu: drivers can be updated, services stopped and restated, is this one single sitting, did the monitor turn off, is there actually a monitor or is this over RDP, etc. etc. etc.

Winding back, QA inside Microsoft was, likely, not actually all that useful and getting in the way of shipping actual fixes.

Can't exactly blame people for wanting to have a minimized version of W10 considering the problems it has in general in terms of performance as of late. The Microsoft Store is one prime example of a software being buggy and having terrible performance. I just wish with all the backlash MS gets for that, it signals them to actually do something about it. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

On 9/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, SolarNova said:

Currently using an old version of W7, pre W10 spyware update, and pre specter/meltdown 'nerf'.

...which, if that system is in any way connected to the Internet or to any device that connects to the Internet, makes you no better than all of the anti-vaxers out there. Avoiding vaccines is no dfferent to running an Internet connected computer that is unsupported (especially one that isn't fully patched), running an OS that has gone 8 months since support ended and your selfishness in doing so risks other computers connected to the Internet from possible infection. You're doing the equivalent of going into a grocery store without a facemask and arguing that you havre the right to do so despite any local rules that say otherwise.

The point is that you accepting the risk for you own use is irrelevant, when you're decisions automatically risks other computers from possible infection.

19 hours ago, Kroon said:

But then I make sure to use educational or medical licenses of  Windows 10 Workstation and make sure telemetry are disabled in the group policies.   EU (I'm in EU) laws prevent even crash logs to be sent back to Microsoft from medical or educational organisations. 

Unless you actually work in either industry then using those licences is probably a violation of the EULA.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

32 minutes ago, thewelshbrummie said:

unsupported

what you on about? it literally says how to do the mods on 1903

2 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

Unless you actually work in either industry then using those licences is probably a violation of the EULA.

Since they don't have my signature, physical or digital that contract is not valid, at least not within EU.  

8 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

your selfishness

The somewhat amusing part about that argument , in any topic of discussion, is the irony of the statement not being seen by those who state it :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |