Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TechXero

To upgrade or not to upgrade memory

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey peeps..

 

I come to this awesome community once again to ask the following... 

 

First here's link to my build --> here (or my sig)

 

With that, is it necessary to upgrade my RAM to faster kit with lower timings? I heard so much that faster n lower timings makes Ryzen CPUs work less hard... Dunno how true that is.

 

I am by no means a heavy gamer nor do I play competitively... I use my PC for occasional AAA titles at 1440p every now and then, but mostly to watch YouTube and do some photoshop and xml/css coding/design...

 

Would love to know...


~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would help, but it isn’t a big deal. It would be more beneficial to put that money toward a 3000 series GPU. 3200mhz is the sweet spot, so a quick and dirty overclock of what you have should do just as well as a more expensive kit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3600 Mhz RAM will definitely be an upgrade as far as performance goes, to which extent it is worth it though if you already have 3000 is going to depend on if you can sell your current sticks for close to retail and/or if you have enough budget to eat the loss. Steve did a pretty solid video on this.

 

 


My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

It would help, but it isn’t a big deal. It would be more beneficial to put that money toward a 3000 series GPU. 3200mhz is the sweet spot, so a quick and dirty overclock of what you have should do just as well as a more expensive kit.

I am already running at XMP 2.0 mode... Never OC'd RAM before...

 

1 minute ago, Centurius said:

3600 Mhz RAM will definitely be an upgrade as far as performance goes, to which extent it is worth it though if you already have 3000 is going to depend on if you can sell your current sticks for close to retail and/or if you have enough budget to eat the loss. Steve did a pretty solid video on this.

 

 

Oh well... Sadly I prefer not to sell n use that kit on one of my other systems.. Hmm... Still OC'ing RAM could be a viable option... Still dunno how to do it... Can I get timings tighter with kit I got? If so how?


~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, AndrewZScorpion said:

There are guides online, just don’t do anything stupid like super high voltages or frequencies and you should be fine.

I saw a few but they scare me... Hmm... I kinda care more about tighter timings as my kit is CAS18


~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Just follow guides focused on latency, testing for stability every time you change something, and you should be fine.

I guess will try that... Also I don't see why the hype for 3000 series nVidia GPUs... I have a 1080 and was able to play some games on Ultra @1440p 60+fps no issues... That GPU still has a few years to go... 


~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TechXero said:

I guess will try that... Also I don't see why the hype for 3000 series nVidia GPUs... I have a 1080 and was able to play some games on Ultra @1440p 60+fps no issues... That GPU still has a few years to go... 

The hype is because based on the available information so far it is one of the largest generation to generation improvements seen in the last two decades with the x70 set to outperform the highest end GPU of the previous generation. Compared with some of the other features it's set to be an absolutely stunning release. That doesn't mean older GPU's won't still do fine, but if the charts pan out developers will have a lot more breathing room to go crazy on textures, effects, etc which will likely make older cards age much faster. 10 series specifically are kind of in a rough spot because with consoles also implementing raytracing, GPUs that can't do raytracing will find themselves providing a noticeably worse experience at even lower resolutions vs 20 and 30 series as well as Big Navi.


My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, Centurius said:

The hype is because based on the available information so far it is one of the largest generation to generation improvements seen in the last two decades with the x70 set to outperform the highest end GPU of the previous generation. Compared with some of the other features it's set to be an absolutely stunning release. That doesn't mean older GPU's won't still do fine, but if the charts pan out developers will have a lot more breathing room to go crazy on textures, effects, etc which will likely make older cards age much faster. 10 series specifically are kind of in a rough spot because with consoles also implementing raytracing, GPUs that can't do raytracing will find themselves providing a noticeably worse experience at even lower resolutions vs 20 and 30 series as well as Big Navi.

Well put my friend. True that with all that RT stuff 10 series will age badly, but for us who don't really care for that stuff and can get 60fps or more on 1440p it's not a must upgrade... But nevertheless I don't see myself sticking to the 1080 for more than a year... Maybe by Christmas 2021 I might jump on the 3070 train. If I find a job by then. I just quit my position at Apple Ireland due to catastrophe in Lebanon my home... Need to take care of things there...


~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×