Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Centurius

Memory Required for Content Creation

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone,

 

For my first upgrade in 7 years I decided to kind of go all in and ordered an R9 3950X, Asus Crosshair VIII Formula and what I assumed was a 64 gigs of 3600 DDR4 (and of course a bunch of other parts but those don't really matter for this topic). When the parts arrived I realized the label on the website for the ram had been misleading (16 GB Dual-Kit which I assumed to be two 16 Gig sticks but were in fact 2 8 Gig sticks for 16 total). With two of these kits I didn't have 64 GB RAM but 32 GB RAM. Now the parts took a long time to arrive already (G.Skill Royal sticks are hard to get here) and if I send these back and order new ones not only will I be out about 220 euros extra but I'll also likely need to wait a month for them to arrive (I know other ram is fine too but the royals really fit the aesthetic I'm going for here).

 

My workloads are gaming, streaming and video production (1080p and 4k workloads currently). I know 32 GB is way more than you need for gaming but my other workloads leave me with the following question.

 

  1. Is 32 GB of 3600 RAM enough to stream using OBS at 1080p 6000 Kbit while simultaneously running games?
  2. Is 32 GB RAM enough for 4k workloads in Premiere Pro, as well as in more rare cases After Effects?
  3. If I were to upgrade to 8k workloads in the future (the CPU can more than handle it and I am planning to get an RTX 3090 when they come out) will 32GB RAM still be enough if the answer to the above is yes?

I'd really like to avoid having to wait for new memory because I've been dying to get this build started but if I can't properly run my workloads on this I'll have to.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Edit: I forgot to mention as it is relevant for the app usage. I primarily make content for YouTube (and Twitch but that's only Live), so codecs will likely be H264


My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. yes

2. yes

3. probably yes and if not then you can upgrade later

 

really 32GB of 3600 is great and you shouldn't go for 64GB unless you know you really need it


SPEC LIST:

  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA Titan RTX
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) 4800MHz C18
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
  • SSD: Corsair MP600 PCIe v4.0 2TB (x2)
  • PSU: Corsair HX1200i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49in Curved 240Hz 1ms
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Centurius said:

 

  1. Is 32 GB of 3600 RAM enough to stream using OBS at 1080p 6000 Kbit while simultaneously running games?
  2. Is 32 GB RAM enough for 4k workloads in Premiere Pro, as well as in more rare cases After Effects?
  3. If I were to upgrade to 8k workloads in the future (the CPU can more than handle it and I am planning to get an RTX 3090 when they come out) will 32GB RAM still be enough if the answer to the above is yes?

I also have 32 gbs of ram and hardly ever run it to limits this solves for number 1.

To my knowledge 32gb should be plenty for 4k however I would say 64gb should be used for 8k. However this depends on background tasks and how long of videos you are making.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Hey everyone,

 

For my first upgrade in 7 years I decided to kind of go all in and ordered an R9 3950X, Asus Crosshair VIII Formula and what I assumed was a 64 gigs of 3600 DDR4 (and of course a bunch of other parts but those don't really matter for this topic). When the parts arrived I realized the label on the website for the ram had been misleading (16 GB Dual-Kit which I assumed to be two 16 Gig sticks but were in fact 2 8 Gig sticks for 16 total). With two of these kits I didn't have 64 GB RAM but 32 GB RAM. Now the parts took a long time to arrive already (G.Skill Royal sticks are hard to get here) and if I send these back and order new ones not only will I be out about 220 euros extra but I'll also likely need to wait a month for them to arrive (I know other ram is fine too but the royals really fit the aesthetic I'm going for here).

 

My workloads are gaming, streaming and video production (1080p and 4k workloads currently). I know 32 GB is way more than you need for gaming but my other workloads leave me with the following question.

 

  1. Is 32 GB of 3600 RAM enough to stream using OBS at 1080p 6000 Kbit while simultaneously running games?
  2. Is 32 GB RAM enough for 4k workloads in Premiere Pro, as well as in more rare cases After Effects?
  3. If I were to upgrade to 8k workloads in the future (the CPU can more than handle it and I am planning to get an RTX 3090 when they come out) will 32GB RAM still be enough if the answer to the above is yes?

I'd really like to avoid having to wait for new memory because I've been dying to get this build started but if I can't properly run my workloads on this I'll have to.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Edit: I forgot to mention as it is relevant for the app usage. I primarily make content for YouTube (and Twitch but that's only Live), so codecs will likely be H264

Why would you be out an extra 220€? You have 14 to 1 month return guarantee don't you? 32gb should be fine but good luck finding those ram sticks in the future they are a niche product at best that isn't bought much if at all due to the stupid price hike over the regular rgb stuff.

 

1. Yes of course

2. Should be fine got a good scratch disk nvme drive too?

3. Probably fine. 8k is an ends away tho so don't worry too much about it yet. Just be ready to not find those gskill royal kits anymore in a few years if you want to upgrade ram (for not even more insanely hiked prices).

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are running 64 Gb of ram you probably will have to run looser timings or lower speeds than rated to get it stable. 32 Gb is a decent amount for most creative tasks, and the higher speed will be beneficial on this platform for performance scaling 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why would you be out an extra 220€? You have 14 to 1 month return guarantee don't you? 32gb should be fine but good luck finding those ram sticks in the future they are a niche product at best that isn't bought much if at all due to the stupid price hike over the regular rgb stuff.

 

1. Yes of course

2. Should be fine got a good scratch disk nvme drive too?

3. Probably fine. 8k is an ends away tho so don't worry too much about it yet. Just be ready to not find those gskill royal kits anymore in a few years if you want to upgrade ram (for not even more insanely hiked prices).

That's true, but the 32 kits are roughly twice the price and these cost me 118 each so the difference would be about ~220.

 

Thanks that puts me at ease a lot more. And yeah, I got an Aorus 1 TB gen 4 NVMe for OS/scratch disk use. :) As for getting these kits in the future, yeah they likely will be more expensive but based on current growth of my channels I do think I'll be upgrading to a Threadripper system in about 2023-2024 with DDR5 so hopefully 32 will last me until then.

4 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

If you are running 64 Gb of ram you probably will have to run looser timings or lower speeds than rated to get it stable. 32 Gb is a decent amount for most creative tasks, and the higher speed will be beneficial on this platform for performance scaling 

I did not know about the stability issues at higher ram amounts. Thanks a ton for this clarification!

 

---

 

In general thank you all for your very quick responses, you've put my mind at rest and made me comfortable about sticking to the current RAM amount. :)


My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Centurius said:

I did not know about the stability issues at higher ram amounts. Thanks a ton for this clarification!

yeah, once you go past dual ranks and on to quad ranks per channel it is harder on the memory controller. It is possible that you could get stability at rated XMP memory speeds, typically you have a better chance of that if the memory configuration is listed as supported by the motherboard manufacturer but it still depends on your particular CPU. This is part of the reason why there are reduced load ram sticks for server and workstation systems that run larger ram quantities

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×