''11 percent of Americans think HTML is an STD''

TopWargamer

Considering it was done by a coupon website, I'm surprised it's only 11%. I would've just guessed randomly on the survey. 

This is obviously a flawed survey. All you would have to do to prove it wrong is to go out and talk to people. These numbers must have been from a survey conducted exclusively on the elderly or something. There is absolutely no way this is accurate. I can believe the html stat, but the Blu-ray and gigabyte stats are absolutely ridiculous and obviously false.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

well of course,  if you asked anyone in any country what an Autosomal Dominant Spinocerebellar Degeneration is? I bet 11% if not more would get it wrong.  Tech enthusiasts only make up a small percentage of the population, just because tech is a major part of life and everyone uses a computer does not mean everyone should know the general stuff. 

Don't laugh at people for not knowing a general or special terms.

People should really know what a GB is.

Gigabyte is digital unit just like Miles/Kilometers or Watt/Kilowatt.

This should be mandatory knowledge.

But this is not a US only problem.

I bet in Europe it would be even worse because people use less tech.(Like streaming services like Netflix are still not really a thing in Europe)

RTX2070OC 

I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

46% of people will Believe any statistic they see on the Internet

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

A friend of mine sent me a link to this on the LATimes website and wrote "this is just sad...."

People should really know what a GB is.

Gigabyte is digital unit just like Miles/Kilometers or Watt/Kilowatt.

This should be mandatory knowledge.

But this is not a US only problem.

I bet in Europe it would be even worse because people use less tech.(Like streaming services like Netflix are still not really a thing in Europe)

I agree whole heartedly, I bet 11% of people all around the world think that a nanometre is an electronics tool.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So your saying that 11% of Americans didn't know what HTML was, were (assuming the people surveyed were in their late 20s or 30s) most of them did not grow up with access to the internet unlike most of the 13-15 year olds on this forum.

*shocking*

To be honest this story should be titled "89% of Americans Actually Know What HTML is".   

Chris pirrilo tlked bout this the other day on tldr couldnt stop laughing about it.

Aaannndd.... Time to move to Sweden.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Aaannndd.... Time to move to Sweden.

Okay, I'm moving with you. I want those crazy fast, unnecessary internet speeds.

I only came to America for the PC deals!!! :D

46% of people will Believe any statistic they see on the Internet

Holy crap, are there really that many people dumb enough to believe them?  :ph34r:

Well considering how irrelevant html is that's pretty impressive. It's not really a need to know thing. The gigabyte and bluray bit however is troubling.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

2,392 people isn't a big enough sample size to accurately measure 313.9 million.

While I don't take such "studies" without a grain of salt, I wouldn't be surprised if this were entirely accurate. What bothers me is to think I taught myself HTML as the tender age of ten (i.e., fifteen years ago) and there are still people who don't know what it is, despite it being one of the fundamental pillars of the Internet.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

The title should be changed to: "11% of American Couponers Think HTML is an STD."

Kinda makes a big difference, there. The only couponers I know are 40 or 50+, are moms or grandmothers, and don't really care about computers.

While I don't take such "studies" without a grain of salt, I wouldn't be surprised if this were entirely accurate. What bothers me is to think I taught myself HTML as the tender age of ten (i.e., fifteen years ago) and there are still people who don't know what it is, despite it being one of the fundamental pillars of the Internet.

Would it bother you to know that even less people know what a gudgeon pin is, even though it is an essential component of nearly every car, truck, diesel train and prop plane?  It doesn't surprise me at all, as someone has said earlier that for such an unseen component of the net it is amazing that 89% actually do know what it is. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Would it bother you to know that even less people know what a gudgeon pin is, even though it is an essential component of nearly every car, truck, diesel train and prop plane?  It doesn't surprise me at all, as someone has said earlier that for such an unseen component of the net it is amazing that 89% actually do know what it is. 

What's a grudgeon pin?

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

What's a grudgeon pin?

It's the steel pin that holds the piston to the conrod shaft.  Without it the motor is useless, just like with out html the net would hardly exist.  

Americans for all their faults are not all stupid! I will put that straight out there even as a non american. But where was this study done and to what age group and demographic? if I asked my dad what HTML was he would probably also be clueless and I know he is not a stupid person.

Understanding of something depends on who you ask.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx