Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mephi00

Dual pump yay or nay

2 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

It's a fullcover block, but if what you're saying is true, either the pump has a problem or the ek thick rad is too much lol

Unless someone has 3 or 4 GPUs and 3 rads in the loop. It's very rare you see people use two pumps. Worth to do some investigation.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi watercooling people,

I am looking into upgrading my gpu with either big navo or the new nvidia 3000 series. I already have a custom loop for my 9900k, which is currently hooked up to a ek 360 thick rad (60mm), so I was planning to integrate the new gpu into that loop. I'm currently planning to get another 240 ek rad (please tell me if this is too much) and now I am asking myself, if dual pumps in parallel or series are worth it.

what pump do you have atm? i assume its a D5? should be no need for another pump if thats all you are adding

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what pump do you have atm? i assume its a D5? should be no need for another pump if thats all you are adding

I got a corsair D5 and I already tested and found out that I get about 5-10C better temps when I turn that pump to 100% on my cpu alone

Definitely not in parallel, in series for redundancy purposes but not for performance.

4 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

I got a corsair D5 and I already tested and found out that I get about 5-10C better temps when I turn that pump to 100% on my cpu alone

Then something isn't right. Water flow rate shouldn't have such big impact on CPU temp. Something is restricting the flow in your loop.

if not for performance, there is no reason for me to upgrade then, I don't have the system running 24/7 and the corsair pump ain't even a year old.

What about that rad upgrade, needed or unnecessary?

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Then something isn't right. Water flow rate shouldn't have such big impact on CPU temp.

The difference was under full load

1 minute ago, Mephi00 said:

The difference was under full load

Of course we are talking about full load. A D5 at half speed can easily run one CPU block, one GPU block and two radiators without temperature penalty.

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Deli said:

Of course we are talking about full load. A D5 at half speed can easily run one CPU block, one GPU block and two radiators without temperature penalty.

It's a fullcover block, but if what you're saying is true, I think either the pump has a problem or the ek thick rad is too much lol

but I'll test it later today

Edit: I just remembered that my pump was never running at 50%, cause its vibratin quite bad, while doing so. It was running 30% then 70% then 100% and from 70 to 100, was verry little difference (to none), but from 30-40 to 70 there was a difference...

Edited by Mephi00
I remembered
Posted · Best Answer
2 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

It's a fullcover block, but if what you're saying is true, either the pump has a problem or the ek thick rad is too much lol

Unless someone has 3 or 4 GPUs and 3 rads in the loop. It's very rare you see people use two pumps. Worth to do some investigation.

18 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

if not for performance, there is no reason for me to upgrade then, I don't have the system running 24/7 and the corsair pump ain't even a year old.

What about that rad upgrade, needed or unnecessary?

More rad, more better (generally). I would consider the additional 240 as recommended for your additional GPU load.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

I did search for posts and some help, but I didn't find any so I thought that asking here was the right place to find my answeres.
And here I got what I needed to know :) thank you guys