Quotes

• Best Intel CPU Intel has ever built
  • 9 new SKUs for Tiger Lake
  • New CPU up to 4.8 GHz
  • Thin and light designs
  • 50 designs in market for holiday, over 150+ designs in total
  • 4x faster for content creators
  • +20% on productivity
  • Iris Xe graphics, Better than 90% of all discrete GPU notebooks sold last year
  • PCIe Gen4 attach up to 32 Gbps (that's PCIe 4.0 x4)
  • LPD5 memory controller

g1.thumb.jpg.d69786d1972e111f6f729053d478563d.jpg

g2.thumb.jpg.aa8d57d372a6af8f845d54256e2eff74.jpg

tl1.png.0b7ebac42c53fe0303ee68c7729a74cd.png

tl2.png.20b431f216b7873f7fa1f6928368b4cc.png

Sources

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16064/intel-launches-tiger-lake-a-live-blog-noon-et-9am-pt

Quotes are selected parts that may be more interesting from a general/gaming perspective.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16063/intel-launches-11th-gen-core-tiger-lake-processors-and-evo-branding

The gaming performance charts from Legit Reviews tweet seem likely to be taken from this video, which appears goes more in depth to some of the technical details.

Summary

We already had hints about Intel's Tiger Lake mobile CPU from the earlier Architecture Day, but now we are starting to see more details on how it performs. This information was live-blogged by Anandtech as it seems the Intel presentation is not generally available.

Edit: added table of CPU models. The UP3 class CPUs are 15W nominal, but the system manufacturer may increase this if their design allows.

My thoughts

This not only shows Intel are still improving their offerings, it also gives hints at what we might expect in a future desktop CPU. CPU clocks up to 4.8 GHz does show they have finally fixed 10nm enough so you get both improved IPC in a post Skylake world, as well as clock. I'm sure there'll be plenty of arguments about how they measured performance for productivity, and we'll have to wait and see the details on that side. However, for gaming, they are claiming it will beat AMD's 4800U and also nvidia MX350. It would be interesting to know what power limit Tiger Lake was running at given the 4800U is a lower power CPU, but also given Tiger Lake is targeted at thin and lights, it isn't going to be silly high power. Note the comment about beating 90% of discrete graphics in laptops? Presumably the remaining 10% or so are ones with actual gaming grade GPUs in them. Still, this does push iGPU forward. Look forward to it!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

up to 4.8 GHz

'up to' is the keyword there...have to wait for reviews first

they have a few months of keeping laptop market alive before Zen 3 come...

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

arguably a better phrasing since they've been taking more mainstream criticism about listing their single core turbo speeds as just "turbo boost". I think the "up to" phrasing is a lot more understandable for a standard end user.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, genexis_x said:

It is always "up to" when talking about maximums. In a power constrained environment like a laptop, especially thin and light ones, it might not be so interesting. But in more power relaxed desktop it seems we don't necessarily need to lose the clocks we're used to when we eventually get 10nm and beyond.

As for Zen 3 laptop designs, they lag desktop by quite some time so I'm not going to hold my breath for them any time soon.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Well, in all honesty, Ryzen CPU's also have "up to" boost clocks and then only hit them in super specific scenarios and even that not on all cores.

3 minutes ago, Vacras said:

I would be surprised if it was the best AMD CPU Intel has ever built :D

I was tempted to make a comment there but decided to leave it as is, since it was a direct quote from the source.

Then again, there was a time when AMD made the best Intel CPUs...

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

Looking for more info and saw the article at Tom's Hardware: "Intel Tiger Lake SuperFin-ishes AMD Ryzen 4000 In Latest Benchmarks: Fatality". Were they bought by Intel?

Tech news sites have posted equally stupid things about AMD destroying Intel in the past. Don't like it, don't read it.

Anyway, I've edited in the CPU models into OP now.

Apparently there will be more info incoming. Unfortunately not public so we'll have to wait for indirect info.

This is 10nm or still 14?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

44 minutes ago, porina said:

Note the comment about beating 90% of discrete graphics in laptops? Presumably the remaining 10% or so are ones with actual gaming grade GPUs in them. Still, this does push iGPU forward. Look forward to it!

I'm guessing they'd be basing that 90% number on the total number of individual units sold. :)

Whereas... I might think of it more as 90% of the models available for sale recently, with each GPU SKU (like MX330, MX350, GTX 1650 .... RTX 2080 Max-Q, full-fat RTX 2080 Super, plus AMD which I haven't researched as much yet) counting as one.

So at whatever point would be the "90%" of GPU models ... I'm guessing somewhere around the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Max-Q ... I might "expect" Intel TGL Xe to be better than *that*.  I'm not in the market for a Tiger Lake laptop, but if I was going for one, I would probably be in for a world of disappointment. :P

Or maybe they could fudge that "90% of discrete graphics" number another way ... by counting ALL discrete graphics in laptops, all the way back to ... when was it laptops first existed, sometime in the 1980s?  Or were there any in the 1970s maybe?

And, about that "up to 4.8 GHz" clock ....  Lemme guess.... 😆

That's only on ONE golden-sample CPU...

by "golden sample" I mean.... take a SKU from Silicon Lottery that's near the bottom of their stack, but still above "Intel's stock specs".  That SL CPU requires a significant overvolt and LN2, when overclocked, to hit a given clock speed (which may be significantly above 4.8 GHz.)
This one golden-sample CPU, when overclocked, can hit that "LN2-on-SL-SKU" frequency - at STOCK voltage (1.2V), using ONLY the Intel heatsink supplied with non-K Skylake through Coffee Lake CPUs.

Back to stock settings and the "up to 4.8 GHz" ... Maybe it's not even fully 4.8 GHz - more like 4.795 GHz with the fudge factor of having BCLK drift down slightly from 100 MHz, like 99.91 MHz.

Also, maybe it ONLY EVER achieves that clock for *ONE* clock cycle in its *ENTIRE* life (so for 1/4795th of a second), on ONE core, when the others aren't just idle, but actually completely turned OFF.

Oh, and that fudged "4.8" GHz is done in an environment like this. :P

2112584603_PenguinsSnowIceAntarctica-EM4iBHhUEAE_LMQ.png.e47ca0b42607b9ccd103b0df7d3e0307.png

🤣

Joking partially(?) aside ....

I'd someday like to see how far people like Linus, Jay, Steve (both of them), Paul, others could push a more "normal" desktop CPU and GPU in that environment - using *ONLY* passive cooling from the environment, even going so far as to take the heatsinks OFF, also no external fans either, except any natural wind blowing. :)

I'll wait for the reviews 

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

This is 10nm or still 14?

10nm

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

These being laptop chips i'd expect all core turbo clocks to be somewhere in the 3.x GHz range. 

it even says in the charts that the 4.8GHz is a 1C (1 core) boost clock.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

is that a vram chip on that package?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

49 minutes ago, porina said:

Quotes

Sources

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16064/intel-launches-tiger-lake-a-live-blog-noon-et-9am-pt

Quotes are selected parts that may be more interesting from a general/gaming perspective.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16063/intel-launches-11th-gen-core-tiger-lake-processors-and-evo-branding

Summary

We already had hints about Intel's Tiger Lake mobile CPU from the earlier Architecture Day, but now we are starting to see more details on how it performs. This information was live-blogged by Anandtech as it seems the Intel presentation is not generally available.

Edit: added table of CPU models. The UP3 class CPUs are 15W nominal, but the system manufacturer may increase this if their design allows.

My thoughts

This not only shows Intel are still improving their offerings, it also gives hints at what we might expect in a future desktop CPU. CPU clocks up to 4.8 GHz does show they have finally fixed 10nm enough so you get both improved IPC in a post Skylake world, as well as clock. I'm sure there'll be plenty of arguments about how they measured performance for productivity, and we'll have to wait and see the details on that side. However, for gaming, they are claiming it will beat AMD's 4800U and also nvidia MX350. It would be interesting to know what power limit Tiger Lake was running at given the 4800U is a lower power CPU, but also given Tiger Lake is targeted at thin and lights, it isn't going to be silly high power. Note the comment about beating 90% of discrete graphics in laptops? Presumably the remaining 10% or so are ones with actual gaming grade GPUs in them. Still, this does push iGPU forward. Look forward to it!

I would like to quote a line from the launch vid : "It certainly ryzes above all the imitators"

1 hour ago, porina said:

CPU clocks up to 4.8 GHz does show they have finally fixed 10nm enough so you get both improved IPC in a post Skylake world, as well as clock. 

IPC and them fixing 10nm are completely unrelated. All 10nm does is let the get more performance per watt. IPC is an architecture thing and Intel has been lagging on shifting architectures for a while.

• Iris Xe graphics, Better than 90% of all discrete GPU notebooks sold last year

My 2060 is gonna Dab on that real quick.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

the whole Presentation is on Scribd:
https://scribd.com/document/474551355/Intel-Blueprint-Series-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-Processors-pdf

hf ;)

Basically its like 10th Gen allover again. Mostly Ultramobile - but now with 10nm -> Desktops probably will still stay on 14nm, again. - but no Word on that.

But - to intel's credit - their Numbers for gaming on uGPU (Xe Graphics) are looking not to bad.

on the other hand - their marketing is getting further and further away from the demographic they should target (imo)

LANinfo.at - Austrias LAN-Party Portal

4 hours ago, porina said:

Tech news sites have posted equally stupid things about AMD destroying Intel in the past. Don't like it, don't read it.

Dude, this is LTT forum.

If anyone says anything good about AMD then it's fine and normal.

If anyone says anything good about Intel then clearly it's a conspiracy and Intel have been bribing someone!

Going with the logical conclusion that websites try and write clickbait and/or hyperbole headlines all the time to get as many clicks as possible is kinda boring. Let's jump on the conspiracy wagon instead! That's way more interesting.

Anyway, Tiger Lake seems really good.

The new CPU cores sounds very promising architecture wise.

Higher clock speeds and these new products launching seems to indicate that Intel are finally moving forward with their lithography.

That GPU seems like a beast.

I really hope Intel brings out some really good products that can give AMD a run for their money. It's nice that AMD are back in the lead but it's best for us consumers if both AMD and Intel are trading punches. 

Also, Ian Cutress has posted a ton of questions and answers about Tiger Lake on his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/IanCutress

Here is the Twitter thread:

3 hours ago, CarlBar said:

IPC and them fixing 10nm are completely unrelated.

You misread what I wrote. I said they had both, not that the two were directly related to each other.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Also, Ian Cutress has posted a ton of questions and answers about Tiger Lake on his Twitter.

Been busy with other things this evening, will have to catch up on that.

I wonder what they'll do with the H-series processors, is that going 10nm or will 11th gen also be a mix of 10nm/14nm? Very curious to see the Xe performance gains :)

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

4 hours ago, porina said:

You misread what I wrote. I said they had both, not that the two were directly related to each other.

It wasn't clear when i read it and I've seen the mistake made in the past so i pointed it out just in case). I actually suspected it might have been an unintended inference given it was you. But figured i'd mention it in case, (and also so anyone else who read it that way saw a correction).

Well I look forward to getting some reviews of the actual laptops with these processors in them.

Good to see Intel stepping up the integrated graphics game. This means AMD will also step it up further and chances are, we're looking into era of big iGPU fights and we're gonna benefit from it :D