Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schnoz

What are your school computer stories?

We had workstations in our CAD lab with Quadro KVM 300 GPUs. If you dont know, they are basically only capable of outputting a display, but they have quadro features (like a GT 210 with more VRAM). They are AWFUL. I took a 3D CAD class and they were so laggy, that autodesk inventor would make me wait 30 seconds before it rendered an extrusion.

They also had dual quad core xeons that turboed to 1.8ghz. It was the most inefficient hardware configuration for the job. In task manager there were basically no moments where the second CPU ever got used for anything.

I ended up just bringing my laptop for that class. It had a GTX 460m, worked much better. Was the only one who ever turned anything in because nobody else had access to a computer that worked well for it.

Main Computer - Tempest

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3  ||||  GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER   ||||  16GB DDR3-1866   ||||  Asus H97-Plus   ||||  EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold 

500GB Samung 840EVO |  240GB Sandisk SSD Plus | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

HTPC - Kralkatorrik

Linux Mint   ||||   Intel Core i3-4170   ||||   GeForce GTX 750 Ti   ||||   8GB DDR3-1333   ||||   Asus B85M-E   ||||   Antec Signature 650W

120GB SSD

Laptop - Dell Latitude E4130

Linux Mint   |||   Intel Core i5-520m   |||   8GB DDR3L-1333   |||   152000mAh Custom Battery

120GB SSD

Windows NVIDIA GameStream Server - Dell Optiplex 790

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i5-2400   |||   8GB DDR3-1600  |||   GeForce GTX 1650 (Half Height)

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM

Minecraft Server

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS   |||  AMD Phenom II X4 945   |||   8GB DDR3-1333   |||   Asus M5A99FX-Pro   |||   EVGA 600BQ

8GB SATA SSD (for OS) | 250GB WD Black 7200RPM (for server files) | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM (Incremental Backups)

me and two others searched for boobs and closed the IE window after 1.2 seconds and laughed hysterically for 7 min.

apparently our school system could see who was logged in when it was searched, and where the computer was, soooo the reason we stopped laughing was because a teacher was dispatched.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

7 hours ago, FeIIex said:

It was encouraged to log off instead of turning it off, but most students just held the power button down

at least they turn off or log out - this isn't much of a problem at my school with pcs but with laptops half the people don't log off so when I open up the laptop (which has like 70% of the keys missing) I find it has someone else's account logged on.

I remember we had Win 3.1 on our computers back when I was in high school (this was the late 90's) Most of the computers were either 386's, 486's or early pentiums. I was in a typing class and would always try to sneak in 'scorched earth' on a 3.5" floppy...LOL

They were all crappy old windows XP computer's that had more dust and viruses than actual files and programs.

when you slide the mice, your hand literally became dark cause of dust

We had RM PCs but these had some random OS before Windows XP/7 was installed on them. One time a new admin joined the IT team and he reinstalled a PC but forgot to log off and he is a full admin. So someone got onto this account and starting to mess around with it.

Spoiler

61DK0dPQ6BL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Spoiler

image?id=700814&quality=90&maxwidth=500&

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Neweer NW-700 Mic | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | HP MicroServer G7 NAS |

On 9/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, Schnoz said:

Ohhh boy. I think I mentioned this once before, but our school had too many computers hooked up to daisy-chained power strips. Also, they were full of dust and viruses, and they ran on hard drives. The surveillance software on them could be considered "borderline legal" at best.

In the early years of computer classes, we used to learn html and the basics of it. After a few years we were allowed to bring in our own laptops, which was used for gaming than learning. Still remember ALT + TAB as quickly as possible when the teacher used to take rounds. 

I remember there was one lab of donated computers that were a slightly different config than anything else in the school. I eventually figured out they also didn't have BIOS passwords on, and one day when a supply teacher was in I straight up installed Ubuntu on one of them. I also remember finding a plaintext list of users that had logged onto one of the library computers

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, Asus Strix 2070, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Bitfenix Prodigy ITX with a custom clear side panel

Laptop: Surface Book 2 13.5" (i7-16GB-512GB-GTX1050)

We gamed a lot before we switched to governmental servers this year. I remember using ALT + TAB quite often when we had CAT and IT (I'll explain the difference between the subjects if anyone asks the difference and we have both subjects with the same teacher). My friends and I played gems like Warcraft 3, Virtua Tennis, CS 1.6.

I have 2 specific short stories tho:

One time we decided to stay in at break/recess after our IT period to play some CS 1.6 with each other. We swore and shouted like we were drunk fans at a rugby game. It was generally hilarious and one of my best memories of high school.

The last story I have is about one time when we played Virtua Tennis in one of our IT periods (ye, not a lot happens in that class, lol). But anyway , we played a Doubles match. So we started playing but thanks to lag and low network speeds, the match started glitching leading to:

• The characters starting to swing the rackets between their legs to hit some shots
  • When we dived for a loose ball, the character would respond AFTER the ball bounced for a second time, leading to the characters diving THROUGH the ball and making weird noises.

And so on, and so forth. Now you can imagine 4 sixteen-year olds when seeing this. We struggled to contain our laughter and we just giggled softly until the teacher went out of the class. I remember specifically when she left the class, how we just broke out into laughter over the horrible glitching.

(P.S there are only about 5 - 7 kids in the class in both stories. IT isn't very popular here. XD)

When I was in high school they had just two computers in the whole school. 

I think this was like 10th grade in 1980.

They were in a class called "office machines".

We had to load stuff on them with big floppy disks.

Sometimes we would load a game on them.

I think it was called castle wolfenstien but the game was just white dots. 

Those were the dumbest computers and the slowest things you can possibly imagine.  

This was a small town high school.

The story I heard was one of the teachers talked the school into buying them to benefit the kids because they were the very latest thing at that time. Apparently they were very expensive way back then and a year 1/2 later they fired the teacher.

In 2005 or 2006 I think it was I bought my very first desktop computer with windows xp on it and I flipped out it was so much better.

😄

net send * "simpkins you are an idiot"

This sent the message to EVERY computer on the network. Including a movie projector screen in a literature class held by an older, quasi-tech literate English teacher that didn't know how to get rid of the pop up. 

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

Me with two other friends wrote half of the song "All Star" by Smash Mouth by renaming some desktop icons and let the other students from the next classes to complete it. Surprisingly, they had finished it by the next day. Yeah nothing too fancy

Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

On 9/2/2020 at 6:12 AM, LWM723 said:

There was no computers when I went to school. Pocket calculators were state-of-the-art. I graduated in 1979

I still have a Tasco Pocket Arithmometer.

Although I never got to use it in school, I don't even have an electronic calculator anymore, unless you count a VIC-20.

I will never succumb to the New Cult and I reject the leadership of @Aelar_Nailo and his wicked parrot armies led by @FakeCIA and @DildorTheDecent. I will keep my eyes pure and remain dedicated to the path of the One True; IlLinusNati

On 9/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, Schnoz said:

Ohhh boy. I think I mentioned this once before, but our school had too many computers hooked up to daisy-chained power strips. Also, they were full of dust and viruses, and they ran on hard drives. The surveillance software on them could be considered "borderline legal" at best.

School had all computers in the lab connected via an ancient switch and had no (or some ) admin control.

Leant that day the hard way that command prompt can shut down all computers in the network.

Till now the network switch is not turned on in the lab

Just found this thread. 

I am actually writing this on a school issued chromebook (Senior in HS rn), and just last March somebody in the IT department made a change to chrome://policy that removed the domain login restrictions. That means anybody who had a personal google account (who didn't?) could just log in and they had unblocked access to everything on the web and the play store. 

It was like this for a full week before the school remotely rebooted every single chromebook in the district and enforced the old policy. Everyone had their progress lost in the span of 30 secs. I was in a AP Calculus class when it happened, and nobody in that class lost a lot of progress, but somebody definitely did. The IT admin for the building went on the coms and publically shrugged it off as a "I don't know why that happened." That was 4 days before school closed for quarantine, and about a month later there was an announcement there was a new IT director. Rumor is that the director was fired for leaving this known bug active for so long. 

Also the master list of the PI for every single student, K through 12, was available in the root folder of a network drive. Address, passwords, everything I can think of short of medical info was in a public spreadsheet. This was at the same time that a pirated copy of Halo CE was flying around the network and we would play huge LAN events. I remember the one in my CAD classes were lit AF. 

Last story, and it is current, since it only started last week. I spend my afternoons in a career academy where I am in my second year and am the most respected student in my classroom. We have incredibly slow PCs for our normal work, win 7, at least 12 years old, but the other side of the classroom is a neat lab with stuff like workbenches, and most importantly, a bunch of customized, unique PCs. And the hardware configurations are atrocious. 

I was given the choice, as a second year student, to choose my own PC to do labs for the rest of the year. It was mine as long as I was in the building. I choose the one with the coolest case (Cooler Master Stryker SE), and bc it had an RX 580, which other than the now inactive VR rig with a 1070, was the most powerful GPU in the lab. Except that it was never plugged it and the whole computer was running on an iGPU, I knew about this last year and it always ticked me off that even when I told somebody to fix it (I wasn't allowed to touch that PC then bc the computer was "owned" by a senior, just like I am now) nobody would ever do anything about it. 

I was doing a lab working with the UEFI when I confirmed that nobody in the class that built these PCs 4 yrs ago knew anything about hardware configurations. 

My computer had a 8600K and a H310, and 3000 MHz RAM. At this point I am just going to link to a post I made about how I was given permission to fix all their hardware and software mistakes (like 32-bit Win10 and 16 GB of RAM) here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1242337-free-x86-benchmarks-to-compare-before-and-after-performance-of-cpu-gpu-and-ram/

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Currently using a Alienware Alpha R1, i3-4170t, GTX 860M, upgrading sooner or later. 

My current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to 2600X: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D

I installed Project64 on one of my high school PC and so my friend and I during recess played Super Smash Bros and it was so fun! Given that the keyboard that was there only supported 2 or 3 keystrokes at the same time I also brought a USB controller I had at home so that we could move both characters at the same time lol.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:34 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

floppy-disks.jpg

I'd imagine quite a lot of people on the forum have never used a floppy disk. I think I'm in one of the last ages groups that used them at school.

That's what we called a Stiffy in my day - this is a floppy: 

Floppy-disc.png