Breakout cable for Fan RGB

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,
2 hours ago, TonytheEE said:

Unless of course the TT fans data simply doesn't work with whatever serial format the ARGB hookup on the ASRock Mobo uses. I'll at least test putting the connectors on the ARGB (foregoing one fan at a time. That lil Ryzen 3 won't mind) to make sure that they will at least light up on the ARGB Header.

i hared that asrock may have different pwm duty cycals on there argb but it could have been only serten chip sets or was old mb. only way to tell is to test it. it might work or might not work or flicker. well i wish you luck

Hey guys,

New to the forum. I just built my first PC this past sunday! It's a B450 Pro4 Motherboard (from all the Budget Ryzen builds on the channel) with a 3200G. 

I had a few parts donated to the build, including the Fans in question. I originally wasn't going for any internal lights, but with the fans already having lighting, might as well at least illuminate the inside (the glass is a little tinted) with the fans.
So, here's the run though. I'm using Thermaltake TT-1425 fans. They have a plug that has 4-pin RGB on one half and 4 pin fan control on the other half. At the moment, I'm just plugging the fan side into the fan header, with the RGB half just hanging in space, because the motherboard I have doesn't have a combination header for that. It DOES have a 4 pin header on bottom. So, what I'd like to do is to split each fan connector into a 4 pin extension for the fan and a 4 pin header for the rgb. fan extenders go to their respective fan controls (there are two chassis fan headers available, but only one RGB Header), and the rgb headers go to a splitter that connects them together at or before the rgb header. I attached a diagram that I hope makes sense.

The Fan connectors also are a 9 socket head with only 8 pins used (see pics). all Pitch distances look to be 2.5mm (what I assume is the standard).

Does anyone know of a good set of equipment to get to do something like this? So far what I think I should get is 2 4-pin Female-to-Female extensions for the fans, hooking them to the connectors with those 4P male to male adapters, then get a Female-to-2-Female 4-Pin splitter for the RGB. split the signal from the MOBO header and use the Male to Male thing to plug into each fan connector.
I could of course cut the rgb wires from each, strip back the sleeve, combine wires in lever nuts and send those wires to another connector. But I don't have the right crimp tool for that last bit and lever nuts can be expensive.

Thoughts? Recommended products? Anything helps, and thanks!

IMG_20200901_111235413.jpg

IMG_20200901_111123042.jpg

IMG_20200901_105334130.jpg

IMG_20200830_194012510.jpg

IMG_20200901_112545769.jpg

Alternate thought. If I run both fans off the same chassis fan header, could I then just get two splitters to combine both fan combo cables, then split them back out again, with each split end from the combined signal going to either RGB or Fan control? It's sketchy, sure, but so is everything else I've mentioned...

first the fans are argb 5v and not rgb 12v

i have a diagram for the pin out but looks like you might have frigged it out gj.

so for the argb part you would need a 4pin male  to female extension. you will have to cut or modifier the argb connector because argb standard uses 3pins 2+1 pin and the thermaltake argb uses 4pins 5v data in data out and ground. so you need just the v5 data in and ground.

now for the fan power you also need the male to female 5pin extension (looks like its a 5pin so one pin will have to be cut off or removed) or 4pin male to female dupunt and you have to cut off the female end and get an 4pin fan connector / extension and wire that to it.

other cable need to be modified

or you can buy thermaltake mb sync controller

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

side note if you want to daisy Chane the fans you would take the data out of one fan and put it to the data in on the other fan.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Thanks for letting me know! I coulda fried something!
So, If I'm reading this right, My mobo also has Addressable RGB, but it has no return data  (Pins are VOUT, DO_ADDR, <Not used, no Pin>, and GND. Is there nothing then stopping me from having the data out go to both fans simultaneously, and the two are never aware of each other's existance? Do the TT fans just mimic the data they got in to the out pin?

31 minutes ago, TonytheEE said:

Thanks for letting me know! I coulda fried something!
So, If I'm reading this right, My mobo also has Addressable RGB, but it has no return data  (Pins are VOUT, DO_ADDR, <Not used, no Pin>, and GND. Is there nothing then stopping me from having the data out go to both fans simultaneously, and the two are never aware of each other's existance? Do the TT fans just mimic the data they got in to the out pin?

ya if you don't daisy Chane them then both will act the same so if led 1 on 1 fan is say red the other led 1 on the other fan will also be red.

daisy Chane just means that its one long strip. so once the animation gets to the last led on the fan it continues on the the other fan. i just gave that option in case you wanted that.

Edited by thrasher_565

Ah! So if I want them different, then I need to daisy chain, but if I don't mind them being identical, I don't have to. I might just get lazy right now and split it for now. I was kinda just gonna do a steady color for now anyway.
I think I can pull it all off with these:

https://www.newegg.com/global-bargains/p/0HZ-004B-00CT2
https://www.newegg.com/p/0AF-001M-008B2

Under $20 and my little engine that might will be lit up.

44 minutes ago, TonytheEE said:

Ah! So if I want them different, then I need to daisy chain, but if I don't mind them being identical, I don't have to. I might just get lazy right now and split it for now. I was kinda just gonna do a steady color for now anyway.
I think I can pull it all off with these:

https://www.newegg.com/global-bargains/p/0HZ-004B-00CT2
https://www.newegg.com/p/0AF-001M-008B2

Under $20 and my little engine that might will be lit up.

how are you going to connect the splitter to the fan? i don't think the 4pin male to male will fit but i could be wrong.

also how are you going to power the fan?

there a quote button that you can click that will notify that you replayed to the post.        

\l/

Edited by thrasher_565

this is how i see it for the argb part.

thermaltake argb pin out v2.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

this is how i see it for the argb part.

thermaltake argb pin out v2.jpg

Ah, I see it (the quote button)
I'll put 2 4-pin Male to male adapters (they're just straightpins at the .1" pitch. a 5-pack comes with the splitter) so the fan connector will basically go from female to male.
I'll take one female to female jumper, plug one end on the Fan control side, then connect the other end to the chassis fan header.

That will leave 4 pins exposed (ARGB), next to the female jumper end. I'll put one of the splitter heads on those pins. I might need to slightly bend the pins or file down on side of the splitter connector so it fits, as two female ends are going to be side by side (like the little connectors for the panel header).

I'll do the same to the other fan cable, with the jumper going to the other fan header, and another split end of the splitter landing on the ARGB side. I'll take the "Head" of the splitter cable and land it on the ARGB pins on the MOBO. Now, the Data out from the fans is going to go nowhere, as there's no header pin, but that's fine. For now, I'll take the two fans working in sync. If I want them strobing different, or animating, I'll just make a breakout PCB (I'm a helluva solderer) that makes the daisy chain work and just requires simple connections to the PCB.

Drawing attached showing the kludgy breakout. Ignore the text in the upper left. Work stuff.

IMG_20200902_085259661.jpg

Unless of course the TT fans data simply doesn't work with whatever serial format the ARGB hookup on the ASRock Mobo uses. I'll at least test putting the connectors on the ARGB (foregoing one fan at a time. That lil Ryzen 3 won't mind) to make sure that they will at least light up on the ARGB Header.

2 hours ago, TonytheEE said:

i hared that asrock may have different pwm duty cycals on there argb but it could have been only serten chip sets or was old mb. only way to tell is to test it. it might work or might not work or flicker. well i wish you luck