Nvidia 30 Series unveiled - RTX 3080 2x faster than 2080 for $699

illegalwater
Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Radeon VII competed pretty decently against a 2080 and I'd argue that was a superior card to a 2080 because of the 16GB HBM2.

Id heavily argue against the Radeon VII Due to three reasons. The Core was what limited it so fast, it was just a glorified Vega 64. The 16 GB of HBM2 IMHO is not a good reason to say it was superior due to the fact that the Core would be the Limiting factor Well before the VRam buffer became the issue. 

Second issue Was again due to Power, Cooling and noise, it simply just tried to brute force its way to the 2080 performance and still barely able to get near it in most games. The power draw alone was an issue ( and i suspect will be an issue for Nvidia with these Power numbers of 320W and 350W, the tables may get flipped here) so the cooling required to make it a reasonable noise required a card that was a fair bit more expensive then the 2080. 

Third issue was support. The card was EOL within 10 months, Thats not a good thing to see at all, especially with how they handled Vega. Vega will go down as the biggest failure for The Radeon Division for me personally. Sad to say honestly but it seems anything Raja Touches with graphics tends to end in pretty spectacular failure, as the new intel gpus May already be on the Chopping block.

1 hour ago, SADS said:

But because there's no Ti, doesn't mean to say there wont be a super or something

Super was a line refresh to have something "new" to offer, so assuming they feel they need the same that would be at least a year away.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I kinda like NVIDIA ditching Ti and Super nonsense (hopefully) and streamlining the lineup. If we later get RTX 3060, RTX 3050 and RTX 3030 and that should be enough (I actually think they'll go with RTX across the board and RTX 3030 might actually perform on a level of RTX 2060 which means actually usable RTX despite being lowest end card. Given the price point I think they're just gonna stick with it and keep selling these without any price drops unless AMD has anything to say about it. But I don't think they'll release any refreshes until next generation. They made massive performance leap and they can hold on these for longer. And same applies to consumers.

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Super was a line refresh to have something "new" to offer, so assuming they feel they need the same that would be at least a year away.

Seems about right.

1080 was May 2016, 1080ti was March 2017.

2080 (and ti) were September 2018, and the super refresh was July 2019.

I expect they want that gap between the 3080 and 3090 to stay for a while, helps justify the price hike. If they slot in an almost 3090 in the form of a 3080 super or whatever at $1000 it will cannibalize the 3090, kind of like the 1080ti did to the titan outside of a few specific creative use cases.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I kinda like NVIDIA ditching Ti and Super nonsense

For sure. Steve over at Gamer's Nexus has been pretty vocal about how ridiculous the 2000 and 1600 line have been in terms of pointless segregation. A few support posts I replied to on reddit from less tech savvy people building a computer for the first time didn't know if the Ti designation was better or not, especially when there was price overlap between brands.

I'd honestly prefer if they just went 3080, 3085, 3090 if they end up having to slot something in between.

Benchmarks are out not sure how he got a card this early but he shows the 3080 performance.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

12 minutes ago, Maticks said:

Benchmarks are leaked not sure how he got a card this early but he shows the 3080 performance.

clearly a sponsored piece

Just now, cj09beira said:

clearly a sponsored piece

Yeah and no one else got one it seems. 80% uplift of the 2080 was what he showed on average for all games.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Rumors of a 3070ti are popping up, having double the vram of the 3070, but still GDDR6.

Will be interesting to see what matters most between having more vram or faster vram

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

15 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Does anyone know what happened to the rumoured 20GB 3080?

Not sure I can quickly find the rumour again, but it was a "later" card.

Edit: found it: https://wccftech.com/exclusive-nvidia-ampere-graphics-cards-partial-specs-and-tentative-launch-schedule/

Now we know the names, the rumour puts the regular 3090 and 3070 as 2H Sept., and 3080 as mid-Sept. High ram 3080 was 1H Oct. Compare this to what we currently know: 3080 17 Sept, 3090 24 Sept, 3070 Oct ??. If the high ram 3080 version is going to happen, I wouldn't count on it until late Oct at best.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Well Lenovo posted some products using a 3070 Ti with 16GB so if those are accurate product specs then maybe a 3080 Ti?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Rumors of a 3070ti are popping up, having double the vram of the 3070, but still GDDR6.

Will be interesting to see what matters most between having more vram or faster vram

It'll come down to the use case. Having more of something if you don't need/use it is kinda pointless. I think until games are routinely using more VRAM, that'll be under-utilised by most. Bandwidth might have more of a short term performance impact.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

It'll come down to the use case. Having more of something if you don't need/use it is kinda pointless. I think until games are routinely using more VRAM, that'll be under-utilised by most. Bandwidth might have more of a short term performance impact.

People are just worried 10GB might not be enough anymore 2 years down the line. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Was planning to get an NZXT H1 in the coming months but I don't think a 3080 will ever fit. :(

4 minutes ago, u4ea said:

Was planning to get an NZXT H1 in the coming months but I don't think a 3080 will ever fit. :(

It should fit. It can fit the 3070, and the 3080s not much different.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Digital Foundry already has the cards and while they couldn't speak in framerate, they compared their RTX 3080 results to RTX 2080Ti in percentage and gains were mostly in 80-90% performance uplift in NON RTX games! Some games a bit lower down to 60&, but even at 60%, that's huge uplift. When was the last time we've seen such jumps?

And that's for RTX 2080Ti comparison. I'm with GTX 1080Ti which is what, 20% slower than RTX 2080Ti? This means I'll actually see 2x performance with upgrade. For $700. With VAT here in Europe it'll still be more, but lets say 100-150 on top of that. Damn, NVIDIA really dropped the mic and hyped me. Really wasn't expecting such dramatic difference and it seems like a perfect time to jump on ray tracing bandwagon. I still hope AMD will have a good release with Big Navi and they were already reaching these levels of performance too.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Digital Foundry had its hand tied on running and showing the test results. Clearly they were sponsored by Nvidia. Maybe not monetary but access to the GPU. It was the only YouTube channel with it. They skip things like Battlefield V RTX. They covered it without RTX. So maybe the drivers where not ready, or the performance isn't great.

53 minutes ago, Maticks said:

Benchmarks are out not sure how he got a card this early but he shows the 3080 performance.

This is not proper benchmarking... no average FPS, frame latency, nor 1% FPS is being covered. You should see this as an ad.

It is fine to have an idea, but don't jump to conclusions. Wait for actual experience people to benchmark the card, out of "Nvidia approved games with approved game settings only". And we will see AMD GPU performance after. THEN you can decide.

49 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Nvidia has 2 options:

• 3080 with 20GB
  • 3090 with less VRAM, say: 12GB

I think Nvidia will be holding out on these cards, as a reply for AMD, if their GPUs end up being competitive.

If AMD GPU is a disappointment, expect nothing to be released by Nvidia.

4 hours ago, Tedny said:

If it not open to use for  everything technology( working only in 30-series), Ps5 will have thing that PC versions won't have 

We will see. But already it looks like the feature is DirectX only.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

We will see. But already it looks like the feature is DirectX only.

Hopefully the other rendering technologies can incorporate something similar (Not even sure if that's possible). I've no problem with Direct-X, but I don't like anything having a full hold over everything.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Digital Foundry had its hand tied on running and showing the test results. Clearly they were sponsored by Nvidia. Maybe not monetary but access to the GPU. It was the only YouTube channel with it. They skip things like Battlefield V RTX. They covered it without RTX. So maybe the drivers where not ready, or the performance isn't great.

Most people are interested in performance without RTX anyways. It would be too easy to make card that has next to no rasterization performance uplift, but 2x RTX performance. And what good is that when there are few RTX games and thousands of regular ones? And we've seen massive uplift in RTX games even without DLSS and with it it goes even a bit higher. Digital Foundry has some integrity and even if NVIDIA sponsored them by giving them cards, I don't think they'd go and ruin their reputation.

4 hours ago, Athan Immortal said:

I'm not taking a shot at you, I'm also on a 1080ti that I bought in late 2017 for £654

The 1080ti was relatively low priced for a top tier card 

probably because Nvidia had fear Vega could be very powerful 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Let’s wait 

maybe there‘s more to come 

a Titan that is still there to be awoken ( maybe the release an RTX 4000 later but who knows)

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler