Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cederick

[The Verge] FBI worried Ring and other doorbell cameras could tip owners off to police searches

Posted · Original PosterOP

So this is my first post here but I found nothing about this on the forum after searching for this and thought it might be of interest since Ring has/had some sponsor spots on the channel. and thought it would be of interest since

So it seem like the FBI is worried about video dorbells since they can alert owners of these prducts of FBI raids and so on.
Also an interesting quote: "At one point, Ring offered law enforcement a “heat map” that showed the concentration of cameras in an area, and it’s reportedly partnered with hundreds of law enforcement agencies and helped them encourage users to hand over footage."

Source:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/31/21408861/fbi-doorbell-camera-police-search-surveillance-warning-document

28 minutes ago, Cederick said:

So this is my first post here but I found nothing about this on the forum after searching for this and thought it might be of interest since Ring has/had some sponsor spots on the channel. and thought it would be of interest since

So it seem like the FBI is worried about video dorbells since they can alert owners of these prducts of FBI raids and so on.
Also an interesting quote: "At one point, Ring offered law enforcement a “heat map” that showed the concentration of cameras in an area, and it’s reportedly partnered with hundreds of law enforcement agencies and helped them encourage users to hand over footage."

Source:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/31/21408861/fbi-doorbell-camera-police-search-surveillance-warning-document

Wait, so law enforcement is concerned about the very thing they do to citizens on a regular basis? HA. HAHA. HAHAHAHAHA. That's rich. That's hilariously ironic.

To be clear, the dangerous and covert missions that law enforcement sometimes put themselves in front of are not easy work, but you can't have it both ways. Double standards are how you create an us vs. them situation, which is exactly the opposite of what our law enforcement & society need. (Remember, they work for us, not the other way around.)

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Ah, so Ring doorbells let people know of no-knock raids? Good. 

No fucking reason no-knocks should be legal. 

Local dickhead and VHS collector. Voted Most Offensive and Most Idiotic 5 Years in a Row!

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

I'm hoping someday that here in the USA cameras will be everywhere, linked and can be accessed by cops, news people, everyone.

Bad stuff often happens in the same places perpetrated by the same people for years not to mention all levels of random bad.

I just think that stuff that happens in public should be easily recorded and easily available for the public good.

I feel everyone needs to be able to record, the bad have to have that right so that the good can also have that protected right to record in public. To help us all it would be just easier if cameras were everywhere in public places and those who choose to link their private property cameras with it as well.

Another side benefit with all those cameras is that more jobs would need to be created to look through all that linked footage.

Anything that creates more jobs is also a good thing to me.  

3 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

like any other camera system could in theory do the same thing lol

that's the hilarious thing

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 74% (content loudness 2.7dB)

Reason Im installing CCTV at my house.  Not that Im worried about the law, but no one listens to the no trespassing, no solicitors, etc etc signs I have up.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.  Slight update, upgraded to larger SSD, and air cooling installed Arctic Alpine cooler.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman gaming mouse

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

I legitimately installed low profile cameras on my back porch and front door back when I was a twitch streamer, being swatted was all too real a fear of mine. had an old 640p monitor controled by a Pi that would turn on if movement was detected. Was comforting to know that I would know if I was being swatted before it happened.

Main Computer - Tempest

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3  ||||  GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER   ||||  16GB DDR3-1866   ||||  Asus H97-Plus   ||||  EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold 

500GB Samung 840EVO |  240GB Sandisk SSD Plus | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

HTPC - Kralkatorrik

Linux Mint   ||||   Intel Core i3-4170   ||||   GeForce GTX 750 Ti   ||||   8GB DDR3-1333   ||||   Asus B85M-E   ||||   Antec Signature 650W

120GB SSD

Laptop - Dell Latitude E4130

Linux Mint   |||   Intel Core i5-520m   |||   8GB DDR3L-1333   |||   152000mAh Custom Battery

120GB SSD

Windows NVIDIA GameStream Server - Dell Optiplex 790

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i5-2400   |||   8GB DDR3-1600  |||   GeForce GTX 1650 (Half Height)

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM

Minecraft Server

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS   |||  AMD Phenom II X4 945   |||   8GB DDR3-1333   |||   Asus M5A99FX-Pro   |||   EVGA 600BQ

8GB SATA SSD (for OS) | 250GB WD Black 7200RPM (for server files) | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM (Incremental Backups)

5 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I'm hoping someday that here in the USA cameras will be everywhere, linked and can be accessed by cops, news people, everyone.

So Xinjiang China.

This not the path you want to go down. (Jump to the 7 minute mark)

Surveillance is okay until someone decides to use it as pre-crime. Then it becomes a slippery slope of arresting people and looking for crimes to charge them with. 

9 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Yes, yes they should, a kidnapper with people inside? Wait for him to leave then bust in, avoids conflict.

drug house? Wait for people to leave then bust in, less chance of an officer getting injured.

been chasing after someone for a violent crime and know they’re in the house? Bust in take them into custody, don’t give them a chance to escape. 

-it’s scuff Gang btw, I hated the name and needed a change
Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx580 @1.45ghz mem=2100mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 @3800mhz

mobo: Asus b450f

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

14 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Dear god, no. You ever heard of this thing called privacy? Surveillance should be limited to the absolute minimum.

14 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Bad stuff often happens in the same places perpetrated by the same people for years not to mention all levels of random bad.

Security cameras aren't even proven to decrease crime

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 Armor 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

Let's police look at your cameras, let's you look at police.

At least they're fair. Somewhat anyway. Not really but still. Our intelligence community(ies) are so obvious it's ironically funny. 

I will never succumb to the New Cult and I reject the leadership of @Aelar_Nailo and his wicked parrot armies led by @FakeCIA and @DildorTheDecent. I will keep my eyes pure and remain dedicated to the path of the One True; IlLinusNati

Pretty sure this just counts as fair play, the fact that Ring doorbells are named over any other camera system is a bit pointed. There's plenty of camera doorbells on the market and none of which any agency should have access to without request. If the police want access to cameras they can ask, like any other agency above them. 

Last time I checked Ring doorbells are also privately owned devices on local networks unless you add the internet client so there must be a condition in the user agreement to allow full access from any agency the company wishes to partner with when using the cloud app vs private network local use. 

Legal question, this may fall under the espionage act for private property surveillance without warrant on the police side of things, obviously for criminals a warrant would be no big deal but to blanket surveillance based on a privately owned device, we're firmly in the grey zone of legality.  

Must suck being in a country where Freedom and Liberty are part of its cornerstone.  I fully support the rights of the individual over collectivism.  Law enforcement will just have to learn to live with the fact we have our own security cameras, motion sensors, and firearms.

Quinnell - PC Gaming Enthusiast / Patriot

br.quinnell.io | Belligerent Renegades (American Gaming Clan)

On 9/1/2020 at 10:22 AM, handymanshandle said:

There are plenty of situations where no knock raids are appropriate. Hostage situations, human trafficking, drug operations, etc.

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

There are plenty of situations where no knock raids are appropriate. Hostage situations, human trafficking, drug operations, etc.

DOXX'ing and SWATTING.

Just sayin, in an ideal situation, if a swat team really had a reason to raid an apartment or home, they would start by taking a shot at the breaker/fuse to the house or neighborhood:

Electricity-from-the-pole-4.jpg

Of course that would be a rather obvious tell that they're being raided if that's how the swat team is known to operate.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, handymanshandle said:

if cops knock and wait until someone answers the criminals get away through the back of the house

that's why such things exist

On 9/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, Intergalacticbits said:

I just think that stuff that happens in public should be easily recorded and easily available for the public good.

I feel everyone needs to be able to record, the bad have to have that right so that the good can also have that protected right to record in public. To help us all it would be just easier if cameras were everywhere in public places and those who choose to link their private property cameras with it as well.

Another side benefit with all those cameras is that more jobs would need to be created to look through all that linked footage.

Anything that creates more jobs is also a good thing to me.  

George Orwell could have written this into a book.

Oh wait.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

if cops knock and wait until someone answers the criminals get away through the back of the house

On the other hand in a nation where you're allowed to protect your own house, and SWAT/police teams frequently get the wrong address for raids and no-knocks, there's a lot of unnecessary injury and death surrounding them. As a practice they need to go away in most of the cases they're used in, like drug enforcement. Catching some dealer is not worth obliterating a whole house and the occupants inside, especially when it's the wrong house. 

My Current Setup:

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

A win for organized crime. Drug dealers, smugglers, and hitmen rejoice. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

5 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

On the other hand in a nation where you're allowed to protect your own house, and SWAT/police teams frequently get the wrong address for raids and no-knocks, there's a lot of unnecessary injury and death surrounding them. As a practice they need to go away in most of the cases they're used in, like drug enforcement. Catching some dealer is not worth obliterating a whole house and the occupants inside, especially when it's the wrong house. 

mmm right but shouldn't they investigate a bit before raiding? you know to make sure that's the right house, and the right guys they're trying to catch.

Just now, Caroline said:

mmm right but shouldn't they investigate a bit before raiding? you know to make sure that's the right house, and the right guys they're trying to catch.

They should, but unfortunately there have been so many instances in the last few years where they've transposed digits in the address or gone into the wrong apartment. Conceptually I don't have an issue with those no-knocks on actual violent criminals, but only if the work is done and their info is tight. They use no-knocks too much like part of an investigation these days, they should have everything they need including location well locked-down before they kick a door in. 

My Current Setup:

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

While I understand and kinda agree with this argument... isn't it already part of SWAT procedure to cover the back exits before they break down the door anyway?  Thinking about it I suppose this still leaves them open to getting shot since the criminals would have time to get their guns and ambush the officers vs. being caught unprepared.  Idk.  Feels like there's flaws to banning and allowing no-knocks.  

Quinnell - PC Gaming Enthusiast / Patriot

br.quinnell.io | Belligerent Renegades (American Gaming Clan)

Almost like there's no such thing as an easy answer.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 9/3/2020 at 4:15 AM, Caroline said:

If cops are doing a no knock raid, they should already have the house surrounded

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 Armor 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim