Windows 10 v. 2004 is too slow

CRWND_12

I have an Acer Aspire ES15 with 4GB ram and 500GB HDD with an decent quad core Intel Core i3 6006U with 2.06 GB (2110mb) Intel HD Graphics 520 and it has some problems

I only use my laptop for online class and the apps starts to crash very frequently. When I checked the Task manager I noticed that my apps eats 80-95% of my memory.

The only apps that I use are:

Google Chrome

Office 365

Mail

Zoom

Should I re-install my Windows? or do I need to switch from HDD to SSD? or only a RAM Upgrade will do?

Any suggestions will be accepted.

Just now, CRWND_12 said:

I have an Acer Aspire ES15 with 4GB ram and 500GB HDD with an decent quad core Intel Core i3 6006U with 2.06 GB (2110mb) Intel HD Graphics 520 and it has some problems

I only use my laptop for online class and the apps starts to crash very frequently. When I checked the Task manager I noticed that my apps eats 80-95% of my memory.

Google Chrome

Office 365

Mail

Zoom

Should I re-install my Windows? or do I need to switch from HDD to SSD? or only a RAM Upgrade will do?

I also put my laptop already to best Performance mode and It only give 5% performance increase

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

SSD would help the most. 

But RAM upgrade would help as well 

a 500gb ssd and another 4gb for dual channel 8gb will do right?

12 minutes ago, CRWND_12 said:

Yeah that should do for online classes

6 hours ago, CRWND_12 said:

Google Chrome

Office 365

Mail

Zoom

I think the software is giving you problems because I use a Dell Inspiron N4010 which has a Core i3 380M with 3GB of DDR3 RAM for online classes and it works fine (takes too long to load stuff but for online classes it's fine). I use the same apps except I use Google Meet instead of Zoom. My memory usage is always at 80%. Try running the Windows 10DeBloater like JayzTwoCents did in one of his recent videos. My laptop became much more responsive after I did this. Although many people have said that Microsoft Store doesn't work after doing this. If you are using store, I think you can exclude store in the GUI of the debloater.

Try to use linux. The HDD will definitely slow you down but lubuntu, or even elementary os will definitely feel faster than Windows. Dualboot

Edited by George Vella
Added

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

SSD would help the most. 

But RAM upgrade would help as well 

1 hour ago, CRWND_12 said:

Modern OS's like Windows 8, 10, and MacOS versions after 10.9 make a plethora of micro calls to your storage drive compared to older operating systems. IMO it's a crime that manufacturers even sell modern computers with HDDs these days since everyone in the tech industry knows how bad an HDD is compared to an SSD for a boot drive. So yeah, upgrade from HDD to SSD will be like night and day for your computer.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Some issues here:

1. The i3-6006U is not a quad core. It's a 2c4t part, and probably not a very fast one. It should be enough for your use case, though.

2. 4GB RAM will definitely bog you down because Windows 10 is fat. Upgrading to 8GB would help a lot.

3. Mechanical HDD is also a large factor in slowness, getting even a cheap SSD will breathe life into the system, especially since Windows 10 loves obliterating hard drives' performance.

What ya need to do is get at least 8 GB of RAM looks at his own PC, which is using 4 GB of LPDDR4 @ just a mere 2133MHz . 

No seriously though ! I myself am about to get a huge upgrade !

And BTW use an SSD. I had almost the same system as you, but when I installed a Samsung 860 EVO in it. It ran almost twice as fast

@kirashi is right. Modern operating systems run like ass on old harddrives because of the vast reliance on IOPS required for the most basic things. Lots of small transactions are done each second and when you have limited IO capabilities, that makes the entire system feel sluggish. The reasonably anemic i3 dual core isn't going to help the case that much, but it should be sufficient at least for your use case. Any SSD will do, if you can afford with with a DRAM cache, that'd be better.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Windows 10 1909 made my previously fast and snappy laptop extremely slow and sluggish, and also killed the built-in audio options,  so I'm not surprised. 

It's crazy that MS doesn't offer old builds for download anymore (afaik),  they just don't care about the user / experience at all it seems. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity