Windows7 x64 SP1 install on Ryzen 9 3950x

Muzzy001
Go to solution Solved by Muzzy001,

I actually did get it working on my other computer with 3900x but that board which is an ASRock gaming 4 x570 board and this has a ps2 port on it and I used a ps2 keyboard the. Got all drivers working. But the Aorus doesn't have one. Would an adapter card work pcie ps2 if I bought one

Hi there long time watcher  but new member.

I was hoping if you guys could possibly do a video on installing Windows 7 SP1 on an AMD Setup or even maybe just give me some advice.  Reason is I ask is because I loose all USB functionality once I get to windows 7 install screen. I've tried Gigabyte USB tool to inject drivers but that does not work either as can't get past install screen. I am using the setup below

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 motherboard

Ryzen 9 3950x

G.SkillF4-3200C16D-64GVK Ripjaws V 64GB 3200MHz DDR4

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

Gigabyte Radeon 5500 XT graphics card

Microsoft USB keyboard and mouse combo

Thankyou in advance 

Running Windows 7 on Zen is only partially supported. AMD provide a chipset driver however for anything else on the board (such as third party USB or SATA controllers) driver support is dependant on the third party. If the drivers don't exist there is nothing you can do.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Even if for some reason you absolutely HAD to use 7, you're shooting yourself in the foot as the scheduler improvement to Win 10 over the years are quite necessary to make use of such a high core count CPU.

If you really don't want to used windows 10; Linux has been improving and will be much easier to find hardware support for.

I used windows 7 for awhile, but only for driver compatibility reasons. Linux can provide better performance with a similar experience. I believe Mint provides a UI similar...ish to windows.

Otherwise, I think this might be one of those scenarios where you need to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, atleast until you get workaround drivers. Or try using disk media to get the drivers

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Even if for some reason you absolutely HAD to use 7, you're shooting yourself in the foot as the scheduler improvement to Win 10 over the years are quote necessary to make use of such a high core count CPU.

Yep, plus the chipset driver doesn't support the Zen power profile so CPU power settings will be all out of whack. Running anything other than 10 on Zen is not recommended.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

If you really don't want to used windows 10; Linux has been improving and will be much easier to find hardware support for.

I used windows 7 for awhile, but only for driver compatibility reasons. Linux can provide better performance with a similar experience. I believe Mint provides a UI similar...ish to windows.

Otherwise, I think this might be one of those scenarios where you need to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, atleast until you get workaround drivers. Or try using disk media to get the drivers

The drivers don't exist and why would they? Why would, just for example, Asmedia bother creating drivers for a modern USB controller to support an 11 year old OS that has had official support discontinued by its developer?

What about all the info gathering windows 10 does. Financial s etc... To Microsoft and who knows what else they collect. Is it possible to strip all that away. This is why I am hesitant.

I actually did get it working on my other computer with 3900x but that board which is an ASRock gaming 4 x570 board and this has a ps2 port on it and I used a ps2 keyboard the. Got all drivers working. But the Aorus doesn't have one. Would an adapter card work pcie ps2 if I bought one

6 minutes ago, Muzzy001 said:

What about all the info gathering windows 10 does. Financial s etc... To Microsoft and who knows what else they collect. Is it possible to strip all that away. This is why I am hesitant.

They have added most of the tracking stuff to Windows 7 unless you blocked the updates so it really doesn't matter. There are some programs that will go in an take most of the tracking issues on Windows 10, but with every semi annual update MS usually readds all of the tracking crap again, so you need to keep on top of that.

If your really worried about privacy then it is time to move away from Windows 7-10 all have tracking.

I have blocked all updates in win7. Is it possible to do the same with win10?. If it is then that is something to consider

34 minutes ago, Muzzy001 said:

You can turn off a decent amount of it. 

Idk, about you but I don't think that the information that is usually collected is to important. As long as you use caution I don't think they'll get anything more significant that error logs.

44 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The drivers don't exist and why would they? Why would, just for example, Asmedia bother creating drivers for a modern USB controller to support an 11 year old OS that has had official support discontinued by its developer?

Alot of the time windows 7-10 drivers can be made to work with any of the versions. I used to run a nForce motherboard in windows 10 with drivers from windows 7. It would run fine, even well until it tried to automatically install updated drivers.

Floatplane actually has a video coming out on this very topic.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:33 PM, Muzzy001 said:

I have blocked all updates in win7. Is it possible to do the same with win10?. If it is then that is something to consider

If you check out Malwarebytes/Binisoft Windows Firewall Control, you can pretty much manage Win10 talking via network access management.

With say a PiHole doing domain blocking, and WFC doing process access on the actual machine (pretty trivial to set up), you can manage Win10 pretty well.

I've put off running 10 on my main working machines until now. I've been running 10 as a second boot on my main work machine and on my laptop for years just to see what they're like.
However it's the main OS on my new work machine and I've been setting it all up how I want it using WFC mostly. I've still not swapped over fully but it seems time to make the jump now.

I think Windows 10 is terrible but newer hardware/drivers/security require it.

Mostly for me the issue is telemetry (so I feel I've got that mostly under control), and the poor control panel which is seemingly spread between three interface styles/portals... so managing the OS especially at setup or when trouble shooting is a nightmare.

I can see why you've wanted to avoid the jump to Win10 for so long because it is a pain to work with.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:18 PM, Muzzy001 said:

So clone that working system and boot on your second one. It will work.

Forget about adapter etc.

I managed to make and capture my image with audit mode ,sysprep, oobe generalize and imagex  so it can be installed on any desktop or laptop (universal disc image)

I used my old hp probook 6540b laptop. While I was in audit mode installed everything I wanted then I syspreped image generalized oobe and shut down . Booted off a Win7 PE disc with imagex and captured .wim file. I swapped out the wim file on my Win7 usb install drive that I used to install Win7 and then used a program called dism gui to add modified x470 usb drivers and  nvme hotfix . Somehow I got it working. I think it had something to do with the boot.wim file which I added drivers too and I ended up having my usb keyboard and mouse work from beginning of installation which is a plus .

I appreciate all the responses and thankyou so much for all the advise

On 9/3/2020 at 8:57 PM, homeap5 said:

So clone that working system and boot on your second one. It will work.

Forget about adapter etc.

I tried the clone as well and that worked a treat also. Thankyou for the advice

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat. Posting to how support. Decided to update the hardware on my computer (Ryzen 3950x + x570 Aourus Master) and while it's on the way, I find out there's issues getting Windows 7 to run with the new Ryzens.

I have a Windows 7 that's frozen/no updates. Only used for games. I use Linux for everything else.

So now I have to figure out what to do:

1. Hack Windows 7 to work with Ryzen/x570 if possible?

2. Setup a hostile operating system, Windows 10, securely in a sandbox if possible (no MS account, local login, no updates, locked in a VM, triple firewalled.

3. Hack Linux to run games (unreliable, unstable, lots of hassle for each game, Wine prefixes)

Seriously, I don't know what we're supposed to do. Any good articles on how to completely lock down Windows 10 (against Microsoft, not against the user)?