Apple accidentally Approved a piece of Malware to Run on MacOS

Sandro Linux

Summary

Apple accidentally gave notarization certificates to a piece of adware called Slayer (letting it run on Macs) but Apple found out and revoked Slayer’s notarization certificates.

Quotes

Student Peter Dantini discovered the notarized version of Shlayer while navigating to the homepage of the popular open source Mac development tool Homebrew. Dantini accidentally typed something slightly different than brew.sh, the correct URL. The page he landed on redirected a number of times to a fake Adobe Flash update page. Curious about what malware he might find, Dantini downloaded it on purpose. To his surprise, macOS popped up its standard warning about programs downloaded from the internet, but didn't block him from running the program. 

My thoughts

I think this will make people more wary of Mac software and maybe question the security of Apple’s products.

Sources

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-approved-malware-macos-notarization-shlayer/

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

Quotes

Include a quote from the article that explains the news in a bit more detail. Don't quote the whole article, but it should be enough to give the reader a reasonable idea about what's going on. 

Dude did you even try?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Dude did you even try?

Sorry I updated it to include a quote

Spoiler

Hopefully this will ward off the "aPpLe'S rEsTrIcTiOn'S mEaN nO vIrUsEs" brigade, though I doubt it

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Hopefully this will ward off the "aPpLe'S rEsTrIcTiOn'S mEaN nO vIrUsEs" brigade, though I doubt it

I hope so too. I have a Mac and I run Bitdefender on it.

Spoiler

something something low effort apple worm pun blah blah something something

9 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

lmao, it's apple what do you expect? A competent company that cares about their customers?

I think if I bought an apple from a supermarket, the supermarket would care more about my experience than Apple would if I bought a computer from them...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

lmao, it's apple what do you expect? A competent company that cares about their customers?

Ahh yes, the Business Life Cycle. Let see where Apple is at shall we?

1. Launch

2. Growth

3. Restructure

4.  Maturity

5. Decline

Based on the above, I say Apple is in the Maturity phase. That means, decline will be inevitable if Apple loses focus on what captured market share in the first place; consumer support and satisfaction. Anyone can make a phone beyond that.

Just now, StDragon said:

Ahh yes, the Business Life Cycle. Let see where Apple is at shall we?

1. Launch

2. Growth

3. Restructure

4.  Maturity

5. Decline

Based on the above, I say Apple is in the Maturity phase. That means, decline will be inevitable if Apple loses focus on what captured market share in the first place; consumer support and satisfaction. Anyone can make a phone beyond that.

Does this life cycle consider the customers that'll throw money at everything apple makes regardless of quality?

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Does this life cycle consider the customers that'll throw money at everything apple makes regardless of quality?

No

Spoiler

"Notarization is not App Review," the company wrote. "The Apple notary service is an automated system that scans your software for malicious content, checks for code-signing issues, and returns the results to you quickly."

Looks like as long as your software can pass a virus check your good to go.

5 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Looks like as long as your software can pass a virus check your good to go.

Yeah but if they lock down Mac OS like IOS I would stop using Macs

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

No

Zombie stage are rarely part of business plan unfortunately

1 minute ago, Sandro Linux said:

Yeah but if they lock down Mac OS like IOS I would stop using Macs

My bet is this is where Apple is headed unfortunately. They want that sweet sweet 30% off all software sales on their platform.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

My bet is this is where Apple is headed unfortunately. They want that sweet sweet 30% off all software sales on their platform.

Yeah I know. I hope they don’t but I know they may. I will just buy other laptops instead if they do.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

Yeah I know. I hope they don’t but I know they may. I will just buy other laptops instead if they do.

Or just throw Linux/Windows on the existing hardware.

3 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

I think Windows is probably headed that way, sadly.

Unix-like systems, as fantastic as they, simply don't have the support behind them at the moment to step in as the default for typical consumer use. And as long as Microsoft and Apple have their duopoly, they'll abuse it.

pythonmegapixel

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Or just throw Linux/Windows on the existing hardware.

I would do that

Spoiler

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I think Windows is probably headed that way, sadly.

Unix-like systems, as fantastic as they, simply don't have the support behind them at the moment to step in as the default for typical consumer use. And as long as Microsoft and Apple have their duopoly, they'll abuse it.

If I do switch from Mac OS I am going to switch to Linux because I like Unix based operating systems and don’t want to pay Microsoft £100 just for the privilege of using a worse operating system

Spoiler

don’t want to pay Microsoft £100

you dont have to pay microsoft to use it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

you dont have to pay microsoft to use it

Yeah but I don’t want to have a watermark on my desktop and don’t like the background

Spoiler

Yeah but I don’t want to have a watermark on my desktop and don’t like the background

there are way cheaper keys out there

or go to a scrap shop and ask for a broken laptop, win 7 laptop have keys

i have a ton of those

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

or go to a scrap shop and ask for a broken laptop, win 7 laptop have keys

Yeah but not win10 keys. The free upgrade program stopped years ago, and even if it hadn't, this doesn't solve the problem that the world has become too dependent on a buggy, closed-source piece of software under the control of a single company who could decide to stop supporting it, lock it down or break it at any moment.

We really need to be reconsidering how much trust we put in companies such as Microsoft, Apple and Google.

pythonmegapixel