Red Dead Redemption 2 is frustrating me beyond end

Ryuzakimorgoth

I am trying to enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC and it gave me a lot of issues. Firstly the anti aliasing is extremely bad and NOTHING I do seems to alleviate my problem,its either the hair/beard looks extremely fugly,or the grass looks like a grid is implanted in it. I believe its called dithering? I know The Witcher 2 had such an issue as well that could never be fixed unless using some manner on supersampling(?).
Then I have this extremely weird issue that as soon as I put water quality to High or Ultra,the water seems to have some weird lines in it.its even worse when seeing from specific angles.

My pc is easily able to push out 60 FPS on a High/Ultra mix but I have NO idea how to fix these three issues(minus the water that I keep on Medium,which fixes it).

My specs in the attached picture.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.08.30 - 14.54.20.67.png

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

I did so about 4 times now,and next time I install it its going to be on a stronger rig if this keeps up,because 120 GBs ain't fast to download through Rockstar's launcher. I have no ideas what to do anymore.. I see people running it amazingly on 4K,but there ain't no way that I can do it in 4k with this setup and maintain the 60 FPS I am targetting with a decent image quality,if I can even at all.

And sadly MSAA takes far too much out of my PC at any resolution as well.

Welcome to Rockstar's god-awful implementation of TAA, It's very blurry and causes dithering when at resolutions lower than 4k, the OG Xbox and PS4 had similar issues, albeit probably not as severe. The only thing you can really do is bump up the sharpening in game or of course bump up the resolution scale. And don't even bother with the other AA techniques/turning it off completely, as the game was made with TAA in mind.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 11:46 AM, Mored said:

Welcome to Rockstar's god-awful implementation of TAA, It's very blurry and causes dithering when at resolutions lower than 4k, the OG Xbox and PS4 had similar issues, albeit probably not as severe. The only thing you can really do is bump up the sharpening in game or of course bump up the resolution scale. And don't even bother with the other AA techniques/turning it off completely, as the game was made with TAA in mind.

Its a shame. I really don't want to turn on 4k at 30 FPS :( Guess I'll wait to get another GPU.

I have RDR2 on ps4 pro and apart from some sketchy AA it's a playable version. 

It seems like on pc there are new people every day having frustrating issues and reporting problems. 

I was thinking of getting on pc as well, but I'm becoming less sure about it as time passes.

Yes, as with any situation we are only hearing about those who make a point of posting their complaints - and so are the rest, i.e the majority, having no problems?

Still, it is concerning. 

12 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I have RDR2 on ps4 pro and apart from some sketchy AA it's a playable version. 

It seems like on pc there are new people every day having frustrating issues and reporting problems. 

I was thinking of getting on pc as well, but I'm becoming less sure about it as time passes.

Yes, as with any situation we are only hearing about those who make a point of posting their complaints - and so are the rest, i.e the majority, having no problems?

Still, it is concerning. 

The worst is that if I could ignore those issues I mentionned, I am getting 60 FPS almost flawless with everything maxed out minus MSAO. Its these damn aliasing/dithering issues that are really too jarring for me to get over it.

1 minute ago, Ryuzakimorgoth said:

The worst is that if I could ignore those issues I mentionned, I am getting 60 FPS almost flawless with everything maxed out minus MSAO. Its these damn aliasing/dithering issues that are really too jarring for me to get over it.

I totally get it.

It's just making it a frustrating and, in the end, unfulfilling experience. 

Why is the game such a pain?

Is it because it was built for console, do you think?

1 minute ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I totally get it.

It's just making it a frustrating and, in the end, unfulfilling experience. 

Why is the game such a pain?

Is it because it was built for console, do you think?

It was definitely built for console first,no debate there. But I would think that Rockstar was competent enough to not fuck it up... Guess I was wrong.

53 minutes ago, Ryuzakimorgoth said:

It was definitely built for console first,no debate there. But I would think that Rockstar was competent enough to not fuck it up... Guess I was wrong.

Agreed. 

We expect better from them.