Help Building a NAS Server

VMBRA_

OK I am new at building my own NAS, basically, so far what I have is a 4TB (2x2TB) Synology DS218 and I am planning on Building something far Solid and with more capacity, as for Plex it cant handle more than 720p encoding, and I find it "slow", and If I want to stream like 2K video or 4k even I will need more capacity.

So... My plan. Build a FreeNAS or Unraid Server.

The Usage. Plex Encoding, Storage of my premiere videos, storage of a few folders and maaaaybe Windows ISO's so I can do some windows Installs over the network.

My Issues (Besides never had one built): 

1 - The Ideal Specs - I read Intel processor can encode video and basically not needing a GPU. Sooo... should I go with an E Series Processor and it's fine, or Should I go with something like an i3?
 - If Igo the AMD Route will a 1550 or even a 1050 do the job?

2 - How Much RAM would I need, and the maximum frequency of it. Does Latency matter in a NAS environment?

3 - Planning on using an ITX Motherboard (for now). Should I forget about it or is it good for the moment?

ANY advice is welcome. 

1 hour ago, VMBRA_ said:

The Ideal Specs - I read Intel processor can encode video and basically not needing a GPU.

You can use quicksync on some intel chips with igpus, this does need plex pass.

How many transcodes and what res do you need? For most home uses, you don't need that much transcoding power.

1 hour ago, VMBRA_ said:

2 - How Much RAM would I need, and the maximum frequency of it. Does Latency matter in a NAS environment?

Id probably go 16gb here, pretty cheap over 8gb, and more doesn't hurt. But your don't need that much.

Id probably go i3 10100 here if you can get it cheap, reasonable cpu power, quicksync if you need it, and igpu so you still have a pcie slot free for other stuff.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can use quicksync on some intel chips with igpus, this does need plex pass.

How many transcodes and what res do you need? For most home uses, you don't need that much transcoding power.

Id probably go 16gb here, pretty cheap over 8gb, and more doesn't hurt. But your don't need that much.

Id probably go i3 10100 here if you can get it cheap, reasonable cpu power, quicksync if you need it, and igpu so you still have a pcie slot free for other stuff.

I do have lifetime Plex pass. Yes an i3 is what I was thinking. As for transcodes Ideally videos will be stored at 1080p, and I have like these devices at home. 2 tablets 2 PC's 3 TV's and 4 cell phones so making the sum it's 11 devices. I would at least have between 8 to 12 transcodes, since not all devices would be working at the same time. Later down the line I might do 1440p transcoding. Will the i3 work for that?

7 hours ago, VMBRA_ said:

I do have lifetime Plex pass. Yes an i3 is what I was thinking. As for transcodes Ideally videos will be stored at 1080p, and I have like these devices at home. 2 tablets 2 PC's 3 TV's and 4 cell phones so making the sum it's 11 devices. I would at least have between 8 to 12 transcodes, since not all devices would be working at the same time. Later down the line I might do 1440p transcoding. Will the i3 work for that?

Thats probably pushing it for the i3, but depends on the extact resolution of the device vieweing it. BUt id give the i3 a shot first. 

If you intend to transcode on all devices at once, you’re looking at an Nvidia Quadro. The P1000 and up. They’ll also do 4K and HEVC.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

23 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

If you intend to transcode on all devices at once, you’re looking at an Nvidia Quadro. The P1000 and up. They’ll also do 4K and HEVC.

Tbh on worst case scenario I might use 2/3 transcodes at the same time. One for me and one for wife on her tablet. If my kids watch a cartoon at the same time it might be 3 transcodes. I just mentioned the devices I currently have.