Apple Terminates Epic's App Store Account

GravityHurts
44 minutes ago, yian88 said:

I hope they take apple down, and any other asshole company, this has been going on for too long, its honestly peoples fault, they buy their shitty products and now the Apple grew and does w/e the fuck it wants screwing the tech illeterate customers.

They aren't don't get your hopes up.  These big companies are who rule the world,  not you, not me and certainly not a certain orange manchild... 

They'll get a slap on the wrist and that's about it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Keep in mind it’s Apple’s devices, Apple is not providing an operating system alone. 

That argument fails as Apple also prevents other manufacturers from developing phones for IOS. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

5 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

no they don't. if you don't like the app store buy an android phone. it's that simple. google also didn't make third party app stores avaliable, they just allowed you to sideload which is a massive security problem and thank the gods that apple does not allow that. 

I totally understand and agree with this argument. If you don't like it go somewhere else, right?

The problem, in my opinion, is that there's essentially two options: Purchase a new device at significant cost (not to mention the other effort involved in transitioning from the Apple ecosystem), or jailbreak the device. The system Apple has built is (imo) too ubiquitous for the Appstore to not be considered a complete monopoly. If there were more than 2 operating systems competing I wouldn't be taking this stance. 

12 minutes ago, danomicar said:

The problem, in my opinion, is that there's essentially two options: Purchase a new device at significant cost (not to mention the other effort involved in transitioning from the Apple ecosystem), or jailbreak the device. 

or jsut buy a used android phone which is often times cheaper than a used iphone, so you could sell your iphone, buy a used android phone and have money left over. 

13 minutes ago, danomicar said:

The system Apple has built is (imo) too ubiquitous for the Appstore to not be considered a complete monopoly. If there were more than 2 operating systems competing I wouldn't be taking this stance. 

GOOGLE DOES THE SAME!!! the Play Store has a monopoly under people who aren't tech nerds who understand what sideloading is and how it works. 

She/Her

11 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

This seems like a truly crappy move on Apple's part, because Fortnite may be all some parents have to keep their children happy right now, while they're eternally shut in their houses. It's Apple prerogative to set rules for their store, but it's just bad timing.

If Fortnite is the only way in the whole world your kid can be happy, you are a terrible parent.

12 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

This seems like a truly crappy move on Apple's part, because Fortnite may be all some parents have to keep their children happy right now, while they're eternally shut in their houses. It's Apple prerogative to set rules for their store, but it's just bad timing.

what happened to any other video games in existence? retro games? movies? hobbies?

She/Her

1 hour ago, Vanderburg said:

If Fortnite is the only way in the whole world your kid can be happy, you are a terrible parent.

The whole country is in lockdown, my point was that everyone is stuck indoors. They could go outside, or hang out with friends, or go to the movies, except those are not options right now. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 hour ago, Vanderburg said:

Please add TikTok to that argument too.

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

That argument fails as Apple also prevents other manufacturers from developing phones for IOS. 

Is that really an issue though? Why does Apple need to allow other manufactures to develop phones for iOS? Not quite understanding the reasoning behind that sort of argument.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is that really an issue though? Why does Apple need to allow other manufactures to develop phones for iOS? Not quite understanding the reasoning behind that sort of argument.  

Size of market share in what essentially equates to a duopoly.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

9 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

GOOGLE DOES THE SAME!!! the Play Store has a monopoly under people who aren't tech nerds who understand what sideloading is and how 

And google is being investigated for it, but you still have other options of app stores. Something iOS does not have...at all. You're completely at the mercy of if Apple approves an app in the first place or wants to keep certain apps on their store.

Some bug android alternative app stores are

Apkpure

Apkmirror

Amazon app store

Qooapp

You could make the same argument for regular pcs. People who don't know what they are doing might think the only way to install programs is from the Microsoft store or they'd I t because it's easier.

Or Mac users who think the only way to buy music is with iTunes.

Lack of knowledge about something is not a defence.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

I'm no fan of Apple but everyone knows exactly what they're signing up for when they have their apps on the store, Epic tried to wiggle a way around losing such a big cut and now the shit has hit the fan 🤷‍♂️

I agree with knowing the fine print but if you want to be on ios you have to go through apple and thats a problem.

41 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And google is being investigated for it, but you still have other options of app stores. Something iOS does not have...at all. You're completely at the mercy of if Apple approves an app in the first place or wants to keep certain apps on their store.

Some bug android alternative app stores are

Apkpure

Apkmirror

Amazon app store

Qooapp

You could make the same argument for regular pcs. People who don't know what they are doing might think the only way to install programs is from the Microsoft store or they'd I t because it's easier.

Or Mac users who think the only way to buy music is with iTunes.

Lack of knowledge about something is not a defence.

Three of those rip Google Play store itself, and hack the binary so they can be loaded in jailbroken devices and  emulators.

1 hour ago, RotoCoreOne said:

I agree with knowing the fine print but if you want to be on ios you have to go through apple and thats a problem.

Either way you look at it, they went in with their eyes wide open and then tried to change the game once they got their foot in the door and made a shitload of cash.  

Oh, if only I went to law school! I'd love to be a lawyer on either side here.

I'd be ordering the Maserati and the million dollar estate now! Back up the Brinks truck, it's gonna cost both sides a lot!

On 8/29/2020 at 5:45 AM, Ashley xD said:

no it's not. it's a problem with android that you fanboys don't like to admit. if you value your security especially if you aren't tech savy, Android is just like iOS with the Play Store being the only source for apps, therefore google is just as bad as apple IF you leave that setting off which you should if you have no idea what it does and the risks you put your device at when you enable it. 

To be clear, I can still install Fornite on my Android through the Samsung Store which is already installed on my phone (baked into the OS) [I use Play Store though].

On 8/29/2020 at 1:35 AM, RejZoR said:

Everyone keep comparing Apple's ecosystem with Android ecosystem and doing fatal flaw argument with it.

Android can be on ANY phone. It inherently has and or creates same problems Windows had if it creates monopoly. And it usually creates monopoly by relentlessly pushing their shit on as many vendors as possible, spreading like cancer devouring everything else. Apple on the other hand is Apple's devices, Apple's own OS and Apple's own App store. You CANNOT get Apple's OS or App store on anything but Apple product. So, I find it hilarious how people screech and scream like idiots about monopoly. Sorry, a what? A monopoly on their OWN devices and their own devices exclusively? You can't buy Samsung or HTC and have iOS on it. Where exactly is monopoly in that when it's ONLY on their devices? If anything they limited their market to a subset of devices. They are not forcing their OS or App Store on ANYONE. You WILLINGLY decide for an Apple device and with it you get Apple's OS and Apple's App Store. America is a weird edge case where 3/4 of people buy iPhone because it's a fashion statement and you're a "poor person" if you don't have it. And then there is 1/4 of people like me who doesn't give a shit about fashion statement and have it for specific reasons like not using shitty Google's privacy nightmare ecosystem or having a phone that gets timely updates for basically guaranteed 5 years... If anyone forced me to buy iPhone it was Google itself with its bullshit, not Apple with whatever shenanigans they are doing.

If anything, Google should be harassed into allowing users to OPT OUT of using Google Play services and App store on ANY phone with a tap of a button and a reboot. And having option to revert that with same simplicity. Because they established this monopoly on all vendors that come with Google Services whether you like it or not. It's not just their own Pixel phones. It's ALL phones. And please don't say "uh oh but you can unlock the phone and install whatever on it". No. Just no. The process is ANYTHING but user friendly and breaks most apps as they just straight out refuse to run if phone is unlocked. Namely banking apps and stuff like Netflix. Not to mention reputable ROM's like LineageOS only support very limited set of (mostly old) devices and the rest are some crap ass obscure home brewed ROM's with zero support released on XDA forums.

The argument that Android can be on any phone isn't a requirement for monopolies/anti-trust cases.

Let me preface this by saying this.  Treat Android as the Apple App Store.  Google developed a compelling option which gained a marketshare, and they merely expect the "developers" (in this case Phone Manufacturers) to abide by their TOS to continue using the platform.  After all, Google developed Android and made it viable option to compete against iPhones.

You are focusing too much on the App Store being on iOS, which that's not the question asked when determining whether something is a monopoly/operating against anti-trust.  The question all comes down to whether there is a market-dominance or if they are acting in bad faith.

My point is, just because Apple has iOS locked to one device, doesn't mean parts of that cannot be held as being a monopoly/anti-trust.  Yes, it's on Apples own device, but that means very little if the have market share/significant power over a market.  Just like how Apple didn't hold the monopoly in e-books, yet still had an anti-trust against them (and lost). 

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/31/21406112/apple-app-store-appeals-process-live-guidelines-challenge-antitrust-fortnite

Apple has launched the new App Store appeals process.

“For apps that are already on the App Store, bug fixes will no longer be delayed over guideline violations except for those related to legal issues. You’ll instead be able to address guideline violations in your next submission,” reads a note posted to Apple’s developer website. “And now, in addition to appealing decisions about whether an app violates guidelines, you can suggest changes to the guidelines.”

These changes were introduced at WWDC on the heels of a rather public feud with software maker Basecamp, the creator of a new email service called Hey. Basecamp openly challenged Apple over whether it could distribute an iOS companion app to its email service without including in-app sign-up options, as Hey costs $99 a year and Basecamp felt it unnecessary to give Apple its standard 30 percent cut of that revenue (although Apple does only take 15 percent of in-app subscription revenue after one year of service). Apple, in response, held up the company’s bug fixes and update capability.