Apple Terminates Epic's App Store Account

GravityHurts
5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

it's turned off by default is no excuse when you people here constantly say that you can use a third party app store. let's not forget that Epic Games didn't offer Fortnite through the play store at least at first, they instructed you to enable sideloading and install from an apk. they instructed people who know nothing about technology to enable it and leave it enabled, how is that not a security problem?

Yes... but that's Epic's problem, not Android's.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But... they chose this... It's basically the #1 reason to buy an iPhone... 

Anecdotally evidence, but every iPhone user who hadn't their device rooted that I've asked "why do you have an iPhone when android is so much more open (and better)?" said something in the tune of "blah,  blah, security... blah, blah, I'm not good with computers..." 

So there's definitely a clientele for these kind of devices... I'm not saying it shouldn't maybe be regulated differently (allowance of sideloading would make the most sense), no, I'm just saying there's a (relatively small) market for these kind of devices,  and that's... ok. (and certainly not illegal) 

It is one thing to say that you chose security over freedom. The other is saying that this no option system is more free. Which is what the guy is trying to convince us of. 

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And what about the water damage indicators that trip from an overly humid day?

that happens on a lot of devices, not just apple. 

What about the flat-out lies about data recovery for phones where apple claims it's physically impossible to recover the data, when 3rd party shops will happily recover that data and only charge you for it if they succeed?

source? you can just plug an iphone with a dead component that still powers on into a computer and then do a backup with iTunes. this is well known. 

4 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Was the 8600M GT the one that was improperly soldered to the main board? The one where Apple's solution was to install a piece of rubber to keep it pressed down to the board, rather than actually do a proper soldering job?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/06/nvidia-gpu-failure-fallout-continues-apple-extends-warranty/

NVIDIA is still suffering from the fallout of GPUs that were manufactured with a faulty contact material inside its package which can potentially fail over time. The contact failures generally result in unusual lines in the display or no display at all. While NVIDIA admitted last year that some GPUs were faulty, the problem is suspected to be more widespread than NVIDIA let on. The company is facing a class action suit from shareholders over the brouhaha as well as one from purchasers of laptops with faulty graphics, including one MacBook Pro owner.

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You might be a technically savvy Apple user, you are in no way representative of the average apple user.

does that matter? i'm at least someone who backs up their claims with facts, not someone with an alex jones pfp who just claims things without providing any sources whatshowever. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Yes... but that's Epic's problem, not Android's.

no it's not. it's a problem with android that you fanboys don't like to admit. if you value your security especially if you aren't tech savy, Android is just like iOS with the Play Store being the only source for apps, therefore google is just as bad as apple IF you leave that setting off which you should if you have no idea what it does and the risks you put your device at when you enable it. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

source? you can just plug an iphone with a dead component that still powers on into a computer and then do a backup with iTunes. this is well known. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/06/nvidia-gpu-failure-fallout-continues-apple-extends-warranty/

does that matter? i'm at least someone who backs up their claims with facts, not someone with an alex jones pfp who just claims things without providing any sources whatshowever. 

Not that I expect you to actually watch either one.

Apple flat out claims it is physically impossible to recover data on a phone that will not turn on. This is completely false. Most reputable 3rd party shops are so confident of their ability to recover your data, they will only charge you if they succeed. If they fail, you pay nothing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

no it's not. it's a problem with android that you fanboys don't like to admit. if you value your security especially if you aren't tech savy,

(my bold)

I don't think everyone should use Android. If someone was entirely unfamiliar with this tech, and had plenty of money to spend on a phone, then I'd advise them to buy an iPhone.

I consider myself to be tech savvy, and I prefer Android. I take no offence at people using iOS. What I object to is people who whinge about Android. while clearly having never used it and not knowing what they're talking about. Similarly it annoys me when people say "lol only idiots buy iPhones" because that's clearly false.

I don't think there needs to be a single answer to the question of which is better.

Android is just like iOS with the Play Store being the only source for apps, therefore google is just as bad as apple IF you leave that setting off which you should if you have no idea what it does and the risks you put your device at when you enable it. 

It's not quite like that. Google is far less restrictive, and most importantly doesn't charge huge amounts for access to the store, so there's a better range of free apps available on the store.

But your point is generally valid. Yes, Android is almost as bad as Apple when it comes to apps, and when you leave the sideloading option off. But it's about choice, and even allowing for keeping security, Android gives you more of it.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

I don't see moisture sensors in similarly priced "pro" grade laptops.

And if Apple designed their hardware right in the first place there wouldn't be recalls on things like keyboards, batteries, trackpads, Thunderbolt ports failing, or display flexgate.

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

source? you can just plug an iphone with a dead component that still powers on into a computer and then do a backup with iTunes. this is well known

If the device is actually damaged, ie. someone accidentally dropped in water of course it won't turn on, Apple doesn't do actual data recovery yet they want to make it as difficult as possible.

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

It's all stuff you can easily find, i'm not sure why you're denying that.

good because you didn't address anything in my response apart from the data recovery, which is true if a phone does not turn on. you can't recover data from it. the third party shops first replace components and then recover the data, which is not the way apple would do it. 

regardless this is a stupid point to argue on because you should have backups. 

also the "genius bar scam" video is by louis rossmann who is the most untrustworthy person i have ever seen in my enitre life. it was clearly a manufactured video because i have opened up my macbook pro various times, and the pin that was bent was clearly bent on purpose. that could not happen under normal circumstances so it was done by the people filming and apple was right to charge them for a logic board repair becuase it was clear that they messed with it to get the result in the video they wanted. 

She/Her

13 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

This is an excellent example of why I don't use Apple devices. Why the f**k do I have to do a backup/sync with iTunes?

What's wrong with the simple idea that you plug in your phone and it appears as a storage medium so that I can just copy and paste files?

pythonmegapixel

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It's not quite like that. Google is far less restrictive, and most importantly doesn't charge huge amounts for access to the store, so there's a better range of free apps available on the store.

sources?

This is an excellent example of why I don't use Apple devices. Why the f**k do I have to do a backup/sync with iTunes?

because it's a handy tool. it makes a complete backup, and you can restore the backup on any iPhone that supports the same version of iOS and it restores EVERYTHING. all your apps, settings, data, logins, everything is exactly the same as on the old phone. 

What's wrong with the simple idea that you plug in your phone and it appears as a storage medium so that I can just copy and paste files?

you can do that on an iPhone with pictures and video from the phone to the computer. regardless making a full image and then restoring that is way more effective as you can't forget anything and it's less trouble for the end user as all your data is preserved. 

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't see moisture sensors in similarly priced "pro" grade laptops.

and?

And if Apple designed their hardware right in the first place there wouldn't be recalls on things like keyboards, batteries, trackpads, Thunderbolt ports failing, or display flexgate.

every manufacturer messes up, but i will admit that the 2016 to 2019 macbooks were particularly bad. also i've never heard of thunderbolt ports failing on those. or batteries. anyway all the other issues you listed there are fixed with the 2020 models. 

yet they want to make it as difficult as possible.

source? 

It's all stuff you can easily find, i'm not sure why you're denying that.

i debunked almost all the claims. lol

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

She/Her

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Apple flat out claims it is physically impossible to recover data on a phone that will not turn on. This is completely false. Most reputable 3rd party shops are so confident of their ability to recover your data, they will only charge you if they succeed. If they fail, you pay nothing.

Louis Rossmann lost his phone to an e-bike  fire, yet he got the phone data recovered in a few minutes because data was on a micro SD card, but it's Apple they don't even allow users to have a headphone jack.

Back on topic though being told what apps you can you use is very monopolistic, sideloading itself isn't a security issue because it should be no different than Windows or Mac, it's up to you to not go downloading random crap.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

sources?

Apple developer program: $99/yr, can only develop on a Mac using Apple's proprietary IDE

Google Play Console: $25 one-time fee, just provide a compliant APK and assets built using the appropriate Android SDK and we'll sort the rest

There are also slightly more Android apps than iOS apps, which means more choice for customers.

pythonmegapixel

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Apple developer program: $99/yr, can only develop on a Mac using Apple's proprietary IDE

Google Play Console: $25 one-time fee, just provide a compliant APK and assets built using the appropriate Android SDK and we'll sort the rest

fair enough. 

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

There are also slightly more Android apps than iOS apps, which means more choice for customers.

i've only seen that for apps i've never heard of and google had a scandal where there was loads of malware on the Play Store which prompted them to launch Play Protect soooo maybe it's a good idea to scare off malware devs with high fees... 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Back on topic though being told what apps you can you use is very monopolistic, sideloading itself isn't a security issue because it should be no different than Windows or Mac, it's up to you to not go downloading random crap.

Or microwave your phone, or drill a hole in it to expose the hidden headphone jack, etc.

Couldn't resist.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

because it's a handy tool. it makes a complete backup, and you can restore the backup on any iPhone that supports the same version of iOS and it restores EVERYTHING. all your apps, settings, data, logins, everything is exactly the same as on the old phone. 

Apple's backup utilities are pretty cool, I'll give them that.

But sometimes I don't want to sync the whole phone.

you can do that on an iPhone with pictures and video from the phone to the computer. regardless making a full image and then restoring that is way more effective as you can't forget anything and it's less trouble for the end user as all your data is preserved. 

And god forbid you want to pull off a single voice recording, for example...

3 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

i've only seen that for apps i've never heard of and google had a scandal where there was loads of malware on the Play Store which prompted them to launch Play Protect soooo maybe it's a good idea to scare off malware devs with high fees... 

Excellent point. That's a genuine concern, and is the main reason that I would probably recommend Apple to those less familiar with the tech

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Apple's backup utilities are pretty cool, I'll give them that.

But sometimes I don't want to sync the whole phone.

fair, but IMO one amazing solution is better than many that don't work really well. the restore options are limited but the one's that are there (either icloud or a local backup to a computer) work really well. 

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

And god forbid you want to pull off a single voice recording, for example...

that's really easy. if you have icloud installed on your compute ror even just use icloud.com you can save the voice memo to icloud drive on the phone and then you can just download it from there. if you have a Mac it will already sync to the voice memo's app. 

She/Her

is this even legal? its clearly retaliation against epic for the current lawsuits and im not sure if thats legally protected against in this case. apple seem determined to prove that they are a monopoly

33 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Or microwave your phone, or drill a hole in it to expose the hidden headphone jack, etc.

Couldn't resist.

Yep, people are going to be dumb, and IMO software shouldn't be sacrificing freedom to the point you can't download an app

I said repair was a bit off topic, but I feel like repair is related because if a company doesn't trust me to buy a part, and I can't sideload then I don't own the device.

It's not a massive security problem. It's turned off by default and most users don't even know it's there. Those that do have the level of technical knowledge required not to install crap.

I don't think that's true,  it's very easy to install random "crap" on Android, often those APKS come with instructions how to do it too. 

I think you're vastly underestimating what the average user will do for "free apps" or programs that promise to make a device "more secure" or "faster". 

3 hours ago, Jotoco said:

The other is saying that this no option system is more free

This is the Internet, some people are just not worth engaging with,  and I've yet to see someone irl say this nonsense,  people with iPhones are well aware of the disadvantages, they just think the positives outweigh the negatives... they aren't necessarily dumb for thinking that either,  it's just what they prefer and it's a non issue, otherwise they would not have chosen an iPhone.  Well, until Epic came along and didn't want to give Apple their 30% cut anymore! 😁 

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Hah not surprising at this point. But something tells me Apple will ve forced to change things eventually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I hope they take apple down, and any other asshole company, this has been going on for too long, its honestly peoples fault, they buy their shitty products and now the Apple grew and does w/e the fuck it wants screwing the tech illeterate customers.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

is this even legal? its clearly retaliation against epic for the current lawsuits and im not sure if thats legally protected against in this case. apple seem determined to prove that they are a monopoly

Yes it is legal, it is stated in TOS that apple has the right to disable your account if you break their rules with malicious intent (maybe not worded exactly as I wrote it). In other words Epic broke a contract and suffer the concequences for it. If it would have been by misstake Epic and Apple probably would have worked this out, bit as it stands right now Epic has worked hard on reassuring the world this was not a misstake from their side.

These threads are ridicolous in the amount of Apple hate.

It is OK to not like them for not allowing other appstores.

It is OK to not like them for taking their 30% cut.

It is OK to not like them for the rules they have around AppStore.

But it is not OK to not like them for enforcing rules, that have been around for many years, when a developer breaks them by intent.

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not entirely sure.   THe ruling was that Apple could only take Fornite off.

I’m pretty sure that the judge said Apple could not pull the dev accounts for all Epic affiliates.

This is cancelation of Epic Games (maker of Fortnite) but not Epic International (maker of Unreal Engine).

But of course I might be wrong in this.

36 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Yes it is legal, it is stated in TOS that apple has the right to disable your account if you break their rules with malicious intent (maybe not worded exactly as I wrote it). In other words Epic broke a contract and suffer the concequences for it. If it would have been by misstake Epic and Apple probably would have worked this out, bit as it stands right now Epic has worked hard on reassuring the world this was not a misstake from their side.

These threads are ridicolous in the amount of Apple hate.

It is OK to not like them for not allowing other appstores.

It is OK to not like them for taking their 30% cut.

It is OK to not like them for the rules they have around AppStore.

But it is not OK to not like them for enforcing rules, that have been around for many years, when a developer breaks them by intent.

yes but in certain lawsuits its illegal to retaliate due to them. like normally its legal to fire an employee but if you fire them because they did a discrimination lawsuit against you or something then it would be illegal 

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I stopped following how Epic labeled things a long time ago, and I'm still annoyed with them for canning the new Unreal to focus more on Fornite.   I think that originally the UE was under the same, but over time companies do this whole division thing the larger they get.   Happened with id Soft too.   They don't even make Wolfenstein anymore.

I miss Epic Megagames.

Oh and Unreal is (and always was) a much better game than Half Life! There I said it.