Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delicieuxz

Judge delivers split decision on Epic vs Apple - more positive than negative for Epic

Posted · Original PosterOP

Judge Issues Split Decision in Epic v. Apple

A U.S. District Judge has handed legal victories—and corresponding legal defeats—to both Apple and Epic in their App Store feud. Put simply, Apple is temporarily free to ban Fortnite from its store, but it cannot kill Epic’s developer account or ban its Unreal Engine.

In the words of the judge, neither side got the “slam dunk” they had each respectively hoped for.

“Having carefully reviewed the parties’ briefing, and the parties’ oral arguments, the Court grants in part and denies in part Epic’s motion for a temporary restraining order,” U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers wrote in the ruling. “Apple … are temporarily restrained from taking adverse action against Epic Games with respect to restricting, suspending[,] or terminating any affiliate of Epic Games … from Apple’s Developer Program, including as to Unreal Engine. This temporary restraining order is effective immediately and will remain in force until the Court issues an order on the motion for preliminary injunction.”

The judge also confirmed my concern with Epic’s second filing, which is that the company had found itself in an emergency of its own making.

In court, a party will push for the entirety of its interests and hope to get as much ruled in their favour as they can. However, that doesn't mean they expected to get everything they asked for, and they often ask for a lot more than they expect and hope to get just some of what they asked for.

The split-decision ruling in this case, to me, appears to favour Epic, as there's no major negative consequence for them. People could still download Fortnite for iOS from a source other than the iOS store, if Epic wishes to make it available, and other projects using Unreal Engine are unaffected by this decision. The threat that all apps using Unreal Engine would be removed from the App Store and developers would have to avoid using it if they wanted their app to be available in the App Store was the real danger in Apple's response, IMO. And Epic have avoided that situation.

Epic and Apple will face each other in a court hearing on September 28.

People can still download Fortnite for iOS from a source other than the Apple store

What?  FN is not able to be installed on iOS right now.

Workstation: 9900KF @ 4.9Ghz || Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master || Gigabyte Gaming G1 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 3600 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900 nonK || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad push only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i from Server Storage || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Compute: E5-2696v4 || Asus X99 mATX WS || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives)  || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U), Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Sounds like fun times ahead.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB | Motherboard: ROG Strix B450-F gaming | RAM: G.Skill Aegis CL16 3000mhz 16GB 

Hard Drives: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, WD 1TB | Case: Rosewill T500 PRISM | PSU: PowerSpec 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular 

Monitors: Acer KG240 144Hz / Acer V203H 60hz

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

What?

Epic can host a download elsewhere and people can install it without iOS store, as far as I understand

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Epic can host a download elsewhere and people can install it without iOS store, as far as I understand

you can't sideload on iOS so nope.

She/Her pls :) 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M | 16GB RAM500GB SSD | macOS

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

No, there is no sideloading on iOS.

There is on Android where you have to check the "Allow Unknown Sources" box in the settings.

Workstation: 9900KF @ 4.9Ghz || Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master || Gigabyte Gaming G1 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 3600 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900 nonK || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad push only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i from Server Storage || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Compute: E5-2696v4 || Asus X99 mATX WS || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives)  || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U), Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

No, there is no sideloading on iOS.

If that's the case, then I'd wonder why people use iPhones. But what about with one of these methods?

https://7labs.io/mobile/iphone/install-apps-without-app-store.html

https://drfone.wondershare.com/iphone-tips/how-to-install-apps-on-iphone-without-itunes.html

Its harder to install a app without the app store on ios than on android. You need to jailbreak your phone and it can be pretty hard on some ios version/phone (for example my iphone 5 its a 32bits board and since the 5s(?) its 64bits so i can't use modern jailbreak tool and old one are hard to find). I don't see epic asking these players to do this.

Well,that was expected since a retaliatory reaction to a lawsuit is illegal,and the Fortnite app was removed before Epic filed the lawsuit.

I hope Apple's Monopolistic behavior will be stopped by the anti-trust laws they violate.

But remember that Epic are only doing that because it serves their interests,not paying Apple to have higher profit margins.

So Apple's monopolistic behavior and Epic's breach of contract are both violation of the law at the end of the day.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
8 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

You can "hack" your device and do that...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If that's the case, then I'd wonder why people use iPhones

maybe because android is a privacy hellhole and a buggy mess but other than that i don't get it either.

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

maybe because android is a privacy hellhole and a buggy mess but other than that i don't get it either.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14/zerodium-pauses-acquiring-ios-exploits/

you mean iOS is a privacy hellhole and a buggy mess such that security firms stopped buying certain exploits because they were too numerous

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If that's the case, then I'd wonder why people use iPhones. But what about with one of these methods?

https://7labs.io/mobile/iphone/install-apps-without-app-store.html

"Do note that the app will stop working after seven days if you have a free developer account, which means that you will have to repeat the sideload process in order to get it to work again."

Also wouldn't be surprised if Apple closes this "hole" if they see it's being used in-bulk for people to install an application like FN, trying to circumvent the app store.  It's Apple...they can lock shit down real quick.

20 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

As far as I am aware, you can install the app using the files app, it will give a error about being untrusted and unusable, then you go to General->Device Management->App Developer Name-> Trust Developer, then you can launch the app like normal.

Or does the app have to meet some specific criteria for this to work? I had to load a app on my old iPhone this way for a company I work for as it wasn't available in Apples App store.

I'm not too familiar with Apples devices and policies.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

6 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

you mean iOS is a privacy hellhole

does iOS track location data even if it's disabled?

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

"Do note that the app will stop working after seven days if you have a free developer account, which means that you will have to repeat the sideload process in order to get it to work again."

Also wouldn't be surprised if Apple closes this "hole" if they see it's being used in-bulk for people to install an application like FN, trying to circumvent the app store.  It's Apple...they can lock shit down real quick.

I don't find the text "Do note that the app will stop working after seven days" anywhere on that page. Where is that from?

Also, I've added another link to my previous post that contains 3rd-party apps that will install apps without the App Store.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

does iOS track location data even if it's disabled?

IOS and Android are currently at parity regarding this. There are ways to do it on both platforms that will probably exist forever though so enjoy that

22 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

IOS and Android are currently at parity regarding this. There are ways to do it on both platforms that will probably exist forever though so enjoy that

the problem was google logged it on android, even if it was disabled.

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

the problem was google logged it on android, even if it was disabled.

https://apnews.com/828aefab64d4411bac257a07c1af0ecb/AP-Exclusive:-Google-tracks-your-movements,-like-it-or-not?te=1&nl=dealbook&emc=edit_dk_20180813

The problem was with google services, including iOS apps like Google Maps.

Seems like a fair enough decision for both sides.

CPU: 

CPU Cooler: 
Motherboard: 
RAM: 

SSD: 
GPU: 
Case: 
PSU: 
Monitor: 

2 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

I mean you can, but that would require jailbreaking.  NVM, there's another way apparently using the developer environment.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

Was kinda predictable restoration wouldn't happen under terms/conditions they agreed, also good call on not allowing apple to pursue further to destroy any non relative associative parts of EPIC as well. sounds like a fair judgement. but if apple does decide to take it further to higher they will be able to.

Details separate people.