?up grading to dual band wireless (2.4+5 GHz)? on laptop.

Some co- workers are having trouble with connecting to the internet wirelessly. We have upgraded our wireless router (Asusu dual band - sorry don't remember product code).

I work with my Digital Storm custom gaming ultrabook and it has a dual band wireless card. I don't have any problems getting a good connection. As I understand it, 5GHz allows me to connect with less interference (microwaves, other 2.4 GHz signals) & may be the reason why I don't have issues but my co-workers do.

I still have to check to see if it is even possible to swap a dual band card in their Toshiba laptops (sorry don't remember the brand) - it might be moot if it is soldered in.

If I am able to swap to a dual band card, when I looked up the price of cards I noticed that the "RP-SMA antenna" is not included. Will I need to get a special antenna that supports dual band or will I be able to use the one that was running 2.4 GHz single band? I am hoping to keep everything internal because these computers are moved around a lot and anything dangling could be a problem (catch on something).

If I need a special laptop antenna, other than installing the card's drivers, will I need anything else? I have tools to open the laptop case and I have upgraded Ram in these machines. So a small bit of experience of messing around.

Thanks for the help.

Ps I searched the tutorial section , networking section , & laptop section for "dual band" but got Butkus : hope this was the right place to ask.