Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Atomicest

Tea might've got into my psu

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello so, to start this off, I got a Corsair RM650x PSU.

well anyways, i spilled tea on the ground at first just beside the back of the PC,

i was paranoid that the tea droplets bounced from the ground to the back of the psu. should i be paranoid or not ?

NOTE: This was written using the pc meaning its working right now but should i do something about it ?

Yes, The tea has sugar.

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

First world british problems.

let it dry for a day and it should be fine. unless you used like 10% sugar in your tea, in which case you might have to take it apart and check for sticky spots and also re-think your life choices.

What do you mean by 10% sugar ?

If there's too many impurities (sugar, tea leaves etc) in the water and a significant amount of liquid went on the circuit board, the water can be conductive and corrode traces on the circuit boards inside the power supply. 

If it's just a few drops that went through the vent holes and maybe dropped on some components, chances are they just evaporated on their own from the warm air inside the psu and the fan blowing air, so you'll be fine. 

Also, power supplies often use circuit boards that have traces mostly on the bottom of the circuit board, and only have jumper links or components on top side, this is usually done to save costs. if that's the case with your power supply, there's a high chance any drop of liquid just fell on some plain fiber glass surface of the circuit board, or on some components (on sleeves or plastic so it doesn't matter)

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If there's too many impurities (sugar, tea leaves etc) in the water and a significant amount of liquid went on the circuit board, the water can be conductive and corrode traces on the circuit boards inside the power supply. 

If it's just a few drops that went through the vent holes and maybe dropped on some components, chances are they just evaporated on their own from the warm air inside the psu and the fan blowing air, so you'll be fine. 

Also, power supplies often use circuit boards that have traces mostly on the bottom of the circuit board, and only have jumper links or components on top side, this is usually done to save costs. if that's the case with your power supply, there's a high chance any drop of liquid just fell on some plain fiber glass surface of the circuit board, or on some components (on sleeves or plastic so it doesn't matter)

Should i leave it for a day ?

On 8/21/2020 at 5:43 PM, Atomicest said:

Should i leave it for a day ?

I see what you did there...

Honestly it is fine now, should stay fine.

Bullet dodged.

Don't slosh the Earl Grey around.