So close Yet so Far Away (Cpu Fan Error)

Almost Done with the new PC and all my troubles to be in the past!

Cpu Fan Error in Startup

Building a new workstation PC- relatively new to PC building, last PC I built was 6 years ago and have built a total of 6. Things have gotten a lot more intense in building PC's nowadays, but in a good way icon_smile.gif

Latest PC
i7 4960x
Noctua NH-D14s with additional 140mm
p9x79 e ws
corsair 64bg
gtx 780ti
ax1200i
cooler master haf 932

its a very similar build to Linus's Build here

Everything seems to be up and running except for the Cpu Fan error on startup

I tried updating to latest bios from asus BIOS 1501 - didn't fix it (although maybe the update didn't work you can see in the picture it shows version 2.10.1208)

I then tried to lower fan min speed to 400 -didn't fix it

tried putting the cpu fans connected to the exact cpu fan/cpu opt fan slots stated in the motherboard manual

I then tried ignoring all the monitoring options on all of the cpu fans (under the monitor tab) - which worked and I was able to install windows 7 64bit. However when I went back to enable the monitoring the same problem occured and has the startup stop on the screen below

Not sure what the issue is. Followed step by step of the video even put my hard drives in marvel raid 10 I just can't figure out for the life of me what is causing the Fan Error.

Any help would be great! Really appreciate it

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

So close no matter how far.

Have you tried other fans/other fan slots?

-snip-

Go into your BIOS and locate "Fan speed monitoring". Find out what RPM your fans are running at, and set the min. fan speed below that amount.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

thanks for the quick response tried a bunch of different slots gonna check fan speed monitering but I think I already tried that, and it stil had the error

thanks for the quick response tried a bunch of different slots gonna check fan speed monitering but I think I already tried that, and it stil had the error

please yes the quote button to reply to the above post your more likely to get a reply rather then them having to remember to come back and check 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Go into your BIOS and locate "Fan speed monitoring". Find out what RPM your fans are running at, and set the min. fan speed below that amount.

So close no matter how far.

Have you tried other fans/other fan slots?

yeah have tried both of those. Fan Speed low limit is at 400 currently and the lowest fan is going 500 right now still has the error on startup

Edit: It does boot up to windows if you change cpu fan speed N/A from monitor to ignore

id try connecting asus if you havent already 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

id try connecting asus if you havent already 

might have to but you know how the support lines are for companies like that...could take years for a solution! Sometimes you get lucky. I was just hoping on this forum someone might know. I'm a big fan of Linus's show and the build of the PC I did is almost identical to his, so I just dont know what went wrong!

might have to but you know how the support lines are for companies like that...could take years for a solution! Sometimes you get lucky. I was just hoping on this forum someone might know. I'm a big fan of Linus's show and the build of the PC I did is almost identical so I just dont know what went wrong!

Have you tried changing the "CPU fan profile."

I'm not sure what options you have there, but might be worth a try :)

Hope this helps

might have to but you know how the support lines are for companies like that...could take years for a solution! Sometimes you get lucky. I was just hoping on this forum someone might know. I'm a big fan of Linus's show and the build of the PC I did is almost identical to his, so I just dont know what went wrong!

asus has amazing support no need to worry just send them a message and if they ask you to send through the mobo tall fix it plus from what i have heard asus OCs cpus for you 

Specs

Almost Done with the new PC and all my troubles to be in the past!

Cpu Fan Error in Startup

Building a new workstation PC- relatively new to PC building, last PC I built was 6 years ago and have built a total of 6. Things have gotten a lot more intense in building PC's nowadays, but in a good way icon_smile.gif

Latest PC

i7 4960x

Noctua NH-D14s with additional 140mm

p9x79 e ws

corsair 64bg

gtx 780ti

ax1200i

cooler master haf 932

its a very similar build to Linus's Build here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhkJLF3oyI8

Everything seems to be up and running except for the Cpu Fan error on startup

I tried updating to latest bios from asus BIOS 1501 - didn't fix it (although maybe the update didn't work you can see in the picture it shows version 2.10.1208)

I then tried to lower fan min speed to 400 -didn't fix it

tried putting the cpu fans connected to the exact cpu fan/cpu opt fan slots stated in the motherboard manual

I then tried ignoring all the monitoring options on all of the cpu fans (under the monitor tab) - which worked and I was able to install windows 7 64bit. However when I went back to enable the monitoring the same problem occured and has the startup stop on the screen below

Not sure what the issue is. Followed step by step of the video even put my hard drives in marvel raid 10 I just can't figure out for the life of me what is causing the Fan Error.

Any help would be great! Really appreciate it

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

I tested my new rig today and had the same problem. For me the problem was that the wires were blocking the fan. Maybe have a look there. Even a little resistance will keep the fan from spinning.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Have you tried changing the "CPU fan profile."

I'm not sure what options you have there, but might be worth a try :)

Hope this helps

asus has amazing support no need to worry just send them a message and if they ask you to send through the mobo tall fix it plus from what i have heard asus OCs cpus for you

The Cpu fan profile has only 4 options: Silent standard manual and turbo. None fix the error. Haven't figured out how to use the manual version of the fan profile though

Asus OC would be nice I just need to get the PC up and running ASAP for workload a lot of rendering to be done!!!

I tested my new rig today and had the same problem. For me the problem was that the wires were blocking the fan. Maybe have a look there. Even a little resistance will keep the fan from spinning.

went and looked around its a pretty clean area the fans and cpuheatsink have little bit of area of freefloat maybe around a cm

Two primary possibilities: the fan signal is defective, or the motherboard signal detector is defective.

Try switching a fan that works for signal detection on another header and that one, so they both get power from eachothers' plugs.  From this you should be able to ascertain which does not work, your motherboard detector for that plug, or the fan's signal sender.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

I've had the same problem with my p8z77v-pro

No problems with the fan. Or any temps. It just spazzes out from time to time. Always after i've moved the pc somewhere.

It usually goes away after a while. If not. I hope you can sill RMA the motherboard. Personally im thinking about switching to another brand <_<

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Two primary possibilities: the fan signal is defective, or the motherboard signal detector is defective.

Try switching a fan that works for signal detection on another header and that one, so they both get power from eachothers' plugs.  From this you should be able to ascertain which does not work, your motherboard detector for that plug, or the fan's signal sender.

Do that.

The problem is probably a hardware issue, not a BIOS issue.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Solved cpufan error but was wondering should the boot up to windows 7 login screen take about 35seconds?

After hitting power/start button on case my monitor screen stays dark for a couple seconds then Asus logo (click delete for bios etc...) shows up for a second, then goes away, the screen is black with a dos symbol at top left, then black, then asus logo for a second time, then starts loading windows.

Just wondering if that is normal cause I have only had gigabyte boards before this.

I did finnally solve the cpu fan error with confirmed new bios 1501, both cpu fans attached to cpu plugs, also setting the fans spped to turbo and min speed 300 in bios. I think Noctua has a problem on this board.

Thanks for the help

this is from Noctua website

"I get a CPU fan error using my Noctua PWM fan, is it faulty?
Noctua PWM fans feature a minimum speed of 300rpm to allow for ultra quiet operation when your CPU is at idle state and doesn’t require higher cooling performance. Some mainboards display error messages such as “CPU fan error” during the booting process when the fan speed is below a certain level. If you get such error messages using your Noctua PWM fan and if such options are available in your BIOS, please either adjust the minimum fan speed monitoring limit to 200rpm or increase the minimum PWM duty cycle. If your BIOS doesn’t offer these options, please disable CPU fan errors. For detailed information on BIOS fan settings, please consult your mainoard’s manual or contact your mainboard manufacturer.

I had the same trouble trying to use a Corsair SP120 plugged into the cpu fan header. From what i've read Asus mobo's are picky when it comes to fans? Mine is a M5A99FX Pro R2.0

Yeah that fixed it with what I did in bios.

Have you had any issues with asus marvell support

My boot up takes 35 seconds and restarts twice showing the asus logo with marvell enabled and with it disabled it boots up super fast no double reboot

I have a marvell raid 10 set up 4 8tb WD's

Edit: Going to disable Marvell Controller and go with Intel Controller or possible raid secondary controller. Thanks for the help!