Modern phones are pathetic

Vishera
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The beauty of a removable battery has nothing to do with home replacement.  The problem is few people took actual advantage of the feature.  What you need is two batteries and a home charger.  Then when you run out of battery you swap it with the charged one.  Zero phone charging time.  That is imho the functional purpose of a removable battery.  Not needing to spend time charging a phone is a great feature, but even if you do use it the way it is supposed to be used it is still just a feature, and one that takes up a lot of space.  

Haha, yeah I know. I had the stand setup when I had my old Blackberry. I much prefer the way it is now, with significantly longer lasting batteries in a more compact body. Really, phones last more than enough for 90% of people. If you're doing more than 6 or 7 hours of screen on time a day, you're on your phone too much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha, yeah I know. I had the stand setup when I had my old Blackberry. I much prefer the way it is now, with significantly longer lasting batteries in a more compact body. Really, phones last more than enough for 90% of people. If you're doing more than 6 or 7 hours of screen on time a day, you're on your phone too much.

I think the death knell of removable battery was no one using it that way.   It could come back.  Liion batteries are unusually complicated to charge and they have safety issues and longevity problems.  There are some newer battery technologies being researched where these problems are dramatically reduced.  They’re even more difficult to charge though.  A system might arise where you could have a better battery but it wouldn’t charge inside the phone because the charger was too large.  In that instance battery swapping suddenly starts to make a lot of sense. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I think the death knell of removable battery was no one using it that way.   It could come back.  Liion batteries are unusually complicated to charge and they have safety issues and longevity problems.  There are some newer battery technologies being researched where these problems are dramatically reduced.  They’re even more difficult to charge though.  A system might arise where you could have a better battery but it wouldn’t charge inside the phone because the charger was too large.  In that instance battery swapping suddenly starts to make a lot of sense. 

They've already started using graphene in batteries, and that's where the technology is going.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They've already started using graphene in batteries, and that's where the technology is going.

Meh.  “They” mostly being mountebanks.  There ARE graphene based batteries being researched, but they are not ready for prime time and won’t be for years.  There may be a situation where graphene plays a role.  Right now though it’s just another production material that does nothing.  Any advertisement you see of a “graphene enhanced battery” or some such at the moment means the producer is a charlatan.  This will likely change.  It hasn’t yet though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Are you trying to trash the Canadian education system from America😂

I never said that Canada's education system was flawed. And I never said that the United State's wasn't.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

What I find fascinating about that reply is it could have been stuck anywhere on any post on this forum.  It was completely context free.  Poster might as well have been a spambot.

It was just a simple comeback / joke. That's all. But if you want to make it more than that, be my guest.

2 minutes ago, toyotavan said:

It was just a simple comeback / joke. That's all. But if you want to make it more than that, be my guest.

Oh no.  I was merely pointing out that it was an unusually generic response that could be applied to most any post is all. That is what I found interesting. Might have been part of the point of the joke for all I know. 

5 minutes ago, toyotavan said:

Jokes are meant to be funny. Comebacks are meant to be smart. That was neither.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Meh.  “They” mostly being mountebanks.  There ARE graphene based batteries being researched, but they are not ready for prime time and won’t be for years.  There may be a situation where graphene plays a role.  Right now though it’s just another production material that does nothing.  Any advertisement you see of a “graphene enhanced battery” or some such at the moment means the producer is a charlatan.  This will likely change.  It hasn’t yet though.  

Xiaomi used graphene in their latest batteries to counter any damage done by extremely fast charge rates.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Xiaomi used graphene in their latest batteries to counter any damage done by extremely fast charge rates.

As a heat wick. Cheaper than metal I suppose. Not the same as a graphene or even “graphene enhanced” battery though I’m sure it was much lauded by marketing. The graphene was not part of the chemistry or even an electrical conductor.  Kind of proves my point really.  They had a battery that heated up too much. 

As a heat wick. Cheaper than metal I suppose. Not the same as a graphene or even “graphene enhanced” battery though I’m sure it was much lauded by marketing. The graphene was not part of the chemistry or even an electrical conductor.  Kind of proves my point really.  They had a battery that heated up too much. 

No. The battery is graphene based.

Mi 10 Ultra adopts 34 internal charging safety measures in the device itself as well as in the battery, and the charger to ensure utmost safety. The phone uses the first-ever mass-produced graphene-based Li-ion battery with a capacity equivalent to 4,500mAh. The symmetrical dual-cell series design effectively increases charge speed.

Via Xiaomi's blog post.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No. The battery is graphene based.

Via Xiaomi's blog post.

Yeah. I don’t believe that.  Xiaomi marketing might have said something like that but dollars to doughnuts it’s a standard liion. Might have som graphene strips in it for heat wicking, but if it was actually a graphene battery it would be all over the National news.  There are two “next generation” battery systems being explored, graphene and glass.  One of them is a bit hinky.  Can’t remember which.  Glass maybe.  Anyway the point behind these batteries is they don’t cause huge problems if you puncture or cut them.  Something lithium based batteries have gigantic problems with.  They can both be made to work but neither can be made energy dense enough to be useful atm.  At this time for a cell phone to have enough power to be usable it would need a graphene based battery the size of a builders brick.  I kinda doubt it has that. 

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

If you're doing more than 6 or 7 hours of screen on time a day, you're on your phone too much.

:(

Help meScreenshot_2020-08-21-02-08-47-942_com.google.android_apps.wellbeing.thumb.jpg.17e564b42a04f1f0338253f5fd9d35c5.jpg

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Oh no.  I was merely pointing out that it was an unusually generic response that could be applied to most any post is all. That is what I found interesting. Might have been part of the point of the joke for all I know. 

no that's fine

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Jokes are meant to be funny. Comebacks are meant to be smart. That was neither.

Was it not?

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not just screen on time. Even small batteries can sustain light use for some time. While modern SoCs are efficient in bursty loads, the higher end chipsets can consume quite a lot of power under sustained loads such as gaming, photo editing, etc. (some people manage to do actual work on their phones) Websites with misbehaving ads can also peg a big core, drawing a ton of power out of the blue. I feel a fair bit of margin is crucial to allow for heavier workloads while keeping battery degradation to a minimum. 

Battery banks are not a great substitute for a decently large battery. Inconvenience aside, dedicating precious pocket space (that some clothes lack entirely) to a battery bank and charger cable isn’t a great tradeoff. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

You should be able to get it unlocked, if you really want to use something that old.

You can easily get newer phones with better battery life though.

After posting I looked to see if there was a way to unlock these phones, apparently as long as the plan is paid off I can. I have an unlock code now.

I plan to flash a stripped down android ROM without google play services and buy an aftermarket 4300mah battery that a lot of people have opened up and confirmed are built very well. The battery life will be fantastic and I will have 2 of them plus my beautiful battery bank that I cant bring on planes.

It is because these older phones had easily removable batteries that we now have more compact and efficient batteries to replace the original ones with, that make this feature absolutely wonderful.

To be clear, I dont actually use my phone that much everyday, I just hate having to tether it to a charger.

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

You must have some skin tight, oddly proportioned pants.

Women's clothes continue to fail to have pockets anywhere close to useful even though we've been asking for them for years. Luckily I just wear men's jeans to avoid all that nonsense, but old phones were far more friendly to women's pants.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, seapriestess said:

After posting I looked to see if there was a way to unlock these phones, apparently as long as the plan is paid off I can. I have an unlock code now.

I plan to flash a stripped down android ROM without google play services and buy an aftermarket 4300mah battery that a lot of people have opened up and confirmed are built very well. The battery life will be fantastic and I will have 2 of them plus my beautiful battery bank that I cant bring on planes.

It is because these older phones had easily removable batteries that we now have more compact and efficient batteries to replace the original ones with, that make this feature absolutely wonderful.

Women's clothes continue to fail to have pockets anywhere close to useful even though we've been asking for them for years. Luckily I just wear men's jeans to avoid all that nonsense, but old phones were far more friendly to women's pants.

The problem is that pockets ruin the line of clothing.  People have been making women’s garments with pockets for years but they keep giving up because women won’t actually buy them.   There’s a lot of say one thing do something else in human nature. 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

The problem is that pockets ruin the line of clothing.  People have been making women’s garments with pockets for years but they keep giving up because women won’t actually buy them.   There’s a lot of say one thing do something else in human nature. 

Women wont actually buy them? That doesnt sound right. Going shopping with any of my friends has them pulling out their debit card as soon as they find something their whole hand fits into. Can you give me a source where you got that information?

I literally buy men's jeans just so I can have pockets with dimensional storage.

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

8 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What the failed S-pen? That thing was useless on a device of that size. I've yet to see anyone outside of reviewers who have used the S-pen on their Galaxy Note.

The S-pen is actually a fantastic budget option for digital artists. I use mine constantly as a small portable sketching tablet.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

19 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

Women wont actually buy them? That doesnt sound right. Going shopping with any of my friends has them pulling out their debit card as soon as they find something their whole hand fits into. Can you give me a source where you got that information?

I literally buy men's jeans just so I can have pockets with dimensional storage.

None the less sales records couldn’t lie.  Its not like they’re new inventions.  Tight clothes no pockets. It’s easy to see in the data.  To similar pairs of pants the ones with no pockets sell the ones with pockets dont.  If both have pockets the ones with smaller pockets sell better.  

Source was watching project runway.  The contestants all knew how to make pockets.  They would put them in flowing loose fitting things.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

None the less sales records couldn’t lie.  Its not like they’re new inventions.  Tight clothes no pockets. It’s easy to see in the data.  To similar pairs of pants the ones with no pockets sell the ones with pockets dont.  If both have pockets the ones with smaller pockets sell better.  

Source was watching project runway.  The contestants all knew how to make pockets.  They would put them in flowing loose fitting things.

Sorry but reality television is not a good source of logistical sales information.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

Just now, seapriestess said:

Sorry but reality television is not a good source of logistical sales information.

So go ask someone at a store.  Pockets aren’t some magic thing.  If they sold the stores would carry them.  That’s how stores work.

So go ask someone at a store.  Pockets aren’t some magic thing.  If they sold the stores would carry them.  That’s how stores work.

Okay dude, I have yet to see a source for this. Also I don't need to ask, a friend of mine works at a women's tailoring store in the mall, says pockets sell but management still refuses to sell more than 2 designs that will fit car keys for the same reasons you're parroting. Cognitive dissonance can be in human nature.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

4 hours ago, EL02 said:

:(

Help me

Exactly my point hahah

Though, tbh right now I'm probably about the same.

...so unhealthy.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler