Modern phones are pathetic

Vishera
10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It showed things that were standard back then,i can show photos of different phones from back then but the message is the same.

Buy a low end phone then? Plenty of lower end devices have headphone jack and easily removable as standard. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

For example, removable batteries. Sure, they were ok back in the day when screens were small, and we had to have thicker devices. The battery life on phones back then was also pretty bad, so it was handy to have a removable battery. However, fast forward to today. Screens are significantly larger, and the phones are thinner. Phones would have to be significantly thicker to accommodate a replaceable battery; something not many people are willing to trade for. Battery life is also monumentally better than it was back in those days, so the need to replace the battery during the day isn't really there except for the extreme power user. With the very high rate chargers available now, that's a non-issue.

Phones are larger so there isn't any excuse as to why I can't replace the battery other than phone companies would rather you throw away the phone for a new one every time a new one is released, and charging more often with a fast charger isn't a solution as it will wear out the sealed in battery faster

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Headphone jacks are becoming more and more obsolescent on mobile devices as BT headphones become cheaper, more compact, and better sounding. If you have a good enough pair of headphones that you want to take with you, you're probably better off using them with either a DAP or a proper AMP/DAC connected to the phone, which, surprise surprise, uses USB C. A phone can't power decent headphones properly, and the DACs are usually shit. Yes, there are very, very uncommon outliers like a couple of phones from LG, however that is the exception, not the norm.

The headphone jack isn't obsolete because BT audio sucks in comparison. A 3.5mm jack is nice as a backup even if you already use BT headphones, a headphone jack doesn't need any extra dongle or having to worry about charging wireless in ear headphones.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

The notch isn't great, but it's really not that bad. It's a stopgap while we wait for under display cameras to become good enough to make it to devices; something which should be happening this year. Apple's is the worse, yes, but phones with hole punches or small notches in the middle really aren't that bad.

A small bezel fixes that whole issue, i'm not sure why people whine about a phone having a thin bezel, it allows the phone to be held with much less risk of dropping it, and allows the camera and other sensors to be housed without the need for a stupid notch or hole in the screen.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Modern phones are pathetic? Right, with their exceptional cameras, 3x improvement to battery life while being smaller in stature, amazing looking, high refresh rate displays, gobs of storage, biometrics, stereo speakers....they're really awful compared to what we had 10 years ago. /s

Exceptional cameras? Phone cameras suck in comparison to a dedicated camera, battery life would be even better if companies weren't making phones a glass sandwich, high refresh display on a phone is pointless unless you play mobile games, you're forced to pay extra for more storage rather than using a cheap microSD card, biometics were done right with a simple fingerprint reader on the back, stereo speakers are pointless because phone speakers sound like crap,

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Most companies offer battery replacement for about $50 - $80, which isn't that far off the price that you would have paid for a replacement battery 10 years ago.

Considering that includes the labor costs, it's really not a bad deal. Want it cheaper? You can likely find a third party that would do it for less.

$50-80 and you have to send it off and be without a phone, instead of just getting a replacement for $30 and replacing it in a few minutes.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

If you have studio headphones your phone isn't going to be a great companion for them anyway.

That depends what you mean by "studio" headphones, no I wouldn't plug $1,000 headphones into a phone but flagship phones have decent DAC's.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Those were so thick, they'd be an absolute pain to carry around. A battery bank can be a lot slimmer, safer to carry, and if you purchase the right one, can charge the phone pretty quickly. You can also use it while you charge, so the whole "instant swap" argument really doesn't stand up.

A battery bank isn't really a solution if the phone doesn't last through the day, and is bulkier than carrying a spare battery.

27 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Contradiction:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Bluetooth headphones are pretty expensive,and with the latency of Bluetooth it won't sound better than cable...

Citation needed.

Are you sure?:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Citation needed

The LG v20 doesn't look good?,the Note Edge doesn't look good?

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Do you really need 1TB of storage for just a phone?,

Also phones back in the day had Micro SD card slots for storage expansion.

Only a few have a good camera,My old Samsung camera from 12 years ago is way better than most of the phones currently in the market.

Gimmicks

It works great

They are barely thicker than the batteries we have now.

The dongle life...no thanks.

Your contradiction is incorrect. That phone was massive for it's time; while yes, it would fit in with todays phones size wise, it has a significantly smaller screen. Samsung's S20+ is about the same size (2mm taller but 5mm narrower) and packs a screen that's 21% larger. If you put that onto the LG, you'd need to increase the thickness substantially to get decent battery life; the phone has horrible battery life with it's 5.7" screen, it'd be even worse with a larger one.

You can get Bluetooth headphones for $30, and pretty excellent ones for about $100. They're not that expensive if you're comparing them to regular headphones, though I suppose that's a moot point since it can't really be debated; what's expensive to you might not be expensive to me.

Yes, I don't think the notch or hole punches are that bad. You might, and you're more than welcome to that opinion. However, there is no "right" answer, because it's not a right or wrong thing. Judging by phone sales, there's more people that don't care than do.

I didn't say those phones didn't look good, and I was referring to the displays, not the design. The displays now are better than the displays then. Full stop.

Phones these days have microSD expansion too, not sure if you knew that. In 2014 you got 16GB base, today you get 128GB base (using the S model as an example). No one mentioned 1TB, yet you chose to blow it out of proportion, as you do with most of your comments.

Oh, really? You mean your stand alone camera is better than a phone? Please, stop moving the goal posts. If you compare phone to phone then the cameras are monumentally better, and if you deny that you're simply trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

No, high refresh and biometrics are not gimmicks. They have tangible benefits. Perhaps you should look up what the definition and use of gimmick is.

Samsung portable battery charger: 17.8 x 8.9 x 3.8

Samsung 10,000mah wireless portable battery: 15 x 7 x 1.2

Anker 10,000mah fast charge battery: 9.1 x 5.8 x 2.1

So no. It's significantly larger, while being less useful.

I guess you must have completely missed the wireless part. Not sure what dongle you're speaking of.

24 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

To be completely fair, larger phones can be a bit of a pain in the ass to keep in a pocket, especially when you're driving. I'd rather not look like I'm a boog larper by wearing cargo pants to carry a phone.

I mean...if you're in the car, why would it even be in your pocket?

I wear tight jeans and pants. Even when I had a Note, it wasn't hard to carry.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It showed things that were standard back then,i can show photos of different phones from back then but the message is the same.

What the failed S-pen? That thing was useless on a device of that size. I've yet to see anyone outside of reviewers who have used the S-pen on their Galaxy Note. 

What was so great about removable batteries? Other than having lower capacity and making it easier to sell counterfeit replacements. I bought a replacement battery for my old S3 from a reputable local retailer. The thing swelled up in 2 months. And I'm going to quote what Quinn from Snazzy Labs said regarding the removable batteries of older MacBooks: "I would much prefer the high capacity much more reliable batteries in modern MacBooks today." Batteries back then just did not last long at all. After 1-2 years of use, it was not uncommon that you would have only half of the advertised capacity left. While batteries today, you would have a healthy 75 -80% of that full capacity after the same amount of time.

Headphone jack, that is still a thing on many phones today. Besides, Bluetooth headphones have significantly gone down in price. You can pick up a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones for the same price as your standard Sony headsets. I thought I would never get into Bluetooth buds, but after I got a pair, my AKG headset has been mothballed since. For my car, I got a Bluetooth receiver and now I'm able to use my car as a proper GPS without running a long cable up onto the dash. Not to mention it has also allowed me to answer phone calls with ease without having to touch my phone. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Alan G said:

Since retiring a decade ago, i work out of a home office doing some consulting and managing several investment portfolios.  I don't need anything fancy and this phone works well for me:

Oldphoneworks :: Antique Phones :: Colour :: Blue Collection ...The rotary dial is so retro!

The ridiculous thing about those old bell telephones is they did astounding amounts of ergonomics work on those handsets.  Put one to your ear sometime. It’s bizarre how comfortable they are.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What the failed S-pen? That thing was useless on a device of that size. I've yet to see anyone outside of reviewers who have used the S-pen on their Galaxy Note. 

What was so great about removable batteries? Other than having lower capacity and making it easier to sell counterfeit replacements. I bought a replacement battery for my old S3 from a reputable local retailer. The thing swelled up in 2 months. And I'm going to quote what Quinn from Snazzy Labs said regarding the removable batteries of older MacBooks: "I would much prefer the high capacity much more reliable batteries in modern MacBooks today." Batteries back then just did not last long at all. After 1-2 years of use, it was not uncommon that you would have only half of the advertised capacity left. While batteries today, you would have a healthy 75 -80% of that full capacity after the same amount of time.

Headphone jack, that is still a thing on many phones today. Besides, Bluetooth headphones have significantly gone down in price. You can pick up a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones for the same price as your standard Sony headsets. I thought I would never get into Bluetooth buds, but after I got a pair, my AKG headset has been mothballed since. For my car, I got a Bluetooth receiver and now I'm able to use my car as a proper GPS without running a long cable up onto the dash. Not to mention it has also allowed me to answer phone calls with ease without having to touch my phone. 

I used it.  I thought the thing was freakin awesome.  I kept my note 3 for two years longer than I probably should have and completely wore out a case for it because I liked that thing so much.  Full Wacom functionality.  It was fractal paint in your pocket.  I like to draw though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

53 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Modern phones have been built with those features.  One even had amazing security too.  Didn’t sell.

5 minutes ago, Gediren said:

Don't engage... Don't engage...

You want to post a pic of an antique princess phone don’t you... I know you do...  here I’ll help..

D8406BF1-0E90-4ECA-8BE8-07E99DDAFCE3.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Phones are larger so there isn't any excuse as to why I can't replace the battery other than phone companies would rather you throw away the phone for a new one every time a new one is released, and charging more often with a fast charger isn't solution as it will wear out the sealed in batter faster

The headphone jack isn't obsolete because BT audio sucks in comparison. A 3.5mm jack is nice as a backup even if you already use BT headphones, a headphone jack doesn't need any extra dongle or having to worry about charging wireless in ear headphones.

A small bezel fixes that whole issue, i'm not sure why people whine about a phone having a thin bezel, it allows the phone to be held with much less risk of dropping it, and allows the camera and other sensors to be housed without the need for a stupid notch or hole in the screen.

Exceptional cameras? Phone cameras suck in comparison to a dedicated camera, battery life would be even better if companies weren't making phones a glass sandwich, high refresh display on a phone is pointless unless you play mobile games, you're forced to pay extra for more storage rather than using a cheap microSD card, biometics were done right with a simple fingerprint reader on the back, stereo speakers are pointless because phone speakers sound like crap,

$50-80 and you have to send it off and be without a phone, instead of just getting a replacement for $30 and replacing it in a few minutes.

That depends what you mean by "studio" headphones, no I wouldn't plug $1,000 headphones into a phone but flagship phones have decent DAC's.

A battery bank isn't really a solution if the phone doesn't last through the day, and is bulkier than carrying a spare battery.

And they have a lot more stuff crammed into them. Even so, to get the same battery life, the phones would have to be significantly larger to account for the pins and other safety elements required for a removable battery. Fast charging doesn't necessarily wear a battery out faster, the advancements they've made in the tech and battery design is significant.

I said it's becoming more obsolete, not that it's completely obsolete. There is a difference. As more and more people use wireless audio, it's less necessary. I'm curious, though, you're carrying the headphones anyway; why is carrying a very small adapter that much of a hassle?

It's kind of a moot point anyway, we're already at the point where it'll start being moved under display.

Yes. Compared to dedicated cameras they're not great (if we're talking M43 or better). Why is it that you would assume I meant that? Obviously, since we're comparing phones of the past and modern phones, that's where the comparison laid. Phone cameras are pretty impressive considering what they're crammed into, and they get better and better with every passing year. For the average user, you don't really need anything more; you're not blowing your pictures up for billboards.

Completely disagree about high refresh displays. They make the OS a lot more pleasant to use, scrolling is smoother, it's just overall a better experience.

You're aware that internal storage is significantly better than external though, right? In terms of speed and quality.

If you live close to a service center you can simply stop by. Same with a service shop. Takes maybe 30 minutes, and that's if you have people in front of you.

A battery bank is a fine solution. I've used one, it wasn't that much of a hassle. With wireless ones these days it's even less of a hassle.

Really, though, you should be buying a phone that meets your daily requirements. If you're not on Apple, there's so much selection you should be able to find one that fits the bill pretty easily.

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If it was a failed product it wouldn't still be around. When I had my Note I used my SPen extensively.

Kind of off topic, but what BT buds do you have?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it.
Great CPU which makes it possible to still use today.

It takes longer to start up than newer phones, but it's nothing compared to being able to remove the battery and sim card as well as add a micro sd for extra storage.

I liked when they had the home button, like a legit button not just a graphic on a touchscreen.

It has a headphone port, wOw!

It's smaller and lighter. We went from bricks to actually light phones to bricks with 40 inch screens.

Anyway it's old, but I still like it.

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Oh wow... 6 pictures of the Note 4 and all of a sudden all modern phones are pathetic? That's your evidence? 

And i'm guessing you have evidence for a counter argument?

It’s not like they can’t make removable battery phones.  The tech still exists.  As I understand it the deal is removable battery is a feature.  As is wired earphones.  One of many possible features. As features go they take up a whale of a lot of space. Earphones especially since Bluetooth is included anyway.  Wireless earphones take up zero internal space.   To have it you have to give up 2 or 3 other features.  

sure the amount of space is tiny, but so is the phone.  Imagine expanding a phone to the size of a Pc case.  How large would the phone jack be?  Nearly the size of a PSU.  Imagine how small a SFF case would be if it didn’t have to have a PSU... right.. pico cases... with crappy inefficient 100w PSUs and people still want them.

Modern phones are far more powerful and capable. But I do think they lack unique and invigorating design. That said, my Blackberry Bold 9900 and I agree with the OP.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You want to post a pic of an antique princess phone don’t you... I know you do...  here I’ll help..

D8406BF1-0E90-4ECA-8BE8-07E99DDAFCE3.jpeg

I've never met you... yet somehow you know me so well...

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If it was a failed product it wouldn't still be around. When I had my Note I used my SPen extensively.

The people I've met they would intially use it for everything just to show it off. After that week, it's back to the using the physical keyboard. Never saw them pull it out again ever since. 

As for the headset, Plantronics BackBeat 903+. They were cheap at CC and had the longest battery life at that price point (7 hours, the rest I could find were 5 hours). Intrigued by those Jabra Elites and Plantronics BackBeat Fit 3100s though. They look nice. 

13 minutes ago, toyotavan said:

And i'm guessing you have evidence for a counter argument?

Oh great. We're playing this game now? Haven't seen such tactics since Highschool. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, Gediren said:

I've never met you... yet somehow you know me so well...

I like princess phones.  It’s just beautiful design.  I’ve always wanted to find a non working shell, put a pi in it, hook up the speakers, do a small panel behind one way glass in a guilt mirror frame and do a magic mirror phone.  It would be awesome.  Could even do a Salvador Dali lobsterphone. It would be even easier.

33 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Oh great. We're playing this game now? Haven't seen such tactics since Highschool. 

Wow didn't think that you would know that considering you probably dropped out during 7th grade.

edit: nvm now I get it, you're Canadian 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

And they have a lot more stuff crammed into them. Even so, to get the same battery life, the phones would have to be significantly larger to account for the pins and other safety elements required for a removable battery. Fast charging doesn't necessarily wear a battery out faster, the advancements they've made in the tech and battery design is significant.

I said it's becoming more obsolete, not that it's completely obsolete. There is a difference. As more and more people use wireless audio, it's less necessary. I'm curious, though, you're carrying the headphones anyway; why is carrying a very small adapter that much of a hassle?

It's kind of a moot point anyway, we're already at the point where it'll start being moved under display.

Yes. Compared to dedicated cameras they're not great (if we're talking M43 or better). Why is it that you would assume I meant that? Obviously, since we're comparing phones of the past and modern phones, that's where the comparison laid. Phone cameras are pretty impressive considering what they're crammed into, and they get better and better with every passing year. For the average user, you don't really need anything more; you're not blowing your pictures up for billboards.

Completely disagree about high refresh displays. They make the OS a lot more pleasant to use, scrolling is smoother, it's just overall a better experience.

You're aware that internal storage is significantly better than external though, right? In terms of speed and quality.

If you live close to a service center you can simply stop by. Same with a service shop. Takes maybe 30 minutes, and that's if you have people in front of you.

A battery bank is a fine solution. I've used one, it wasn't that much of a hassle. With wireless ones these days it's even less of a hassle.

Really, though, you should be buying a phone that meets your daily requirements. If you're not on Apple, there's so much selection you should be able to find one that fits the bill pretty easily.

There would be plenty of room for a removable battery, but that would require a plastic or metal back, reviewers would complain about the phone not being glass. Phone manufacturers put a ton of camera lenses in phones instead of a better single or dual lens because of marketing, instead of a larger battery. The Samsung S5 for example wasn't large at all and still had a removable battery.

The headphone jack is only obsolete because OEM's would rather sell a set of earphones for $200 than include a headphone jack even as an extra feature.

Carrying a pair of BT headphones and the bulky charging case is still more than just a pair of wired headphones.

I would expect under display cameras to drive up costs even more, when the bezels were just fine, IMO the Galaxy S8 had the best bezel to screen ratio.

Phone cameras have been getting better, but not as good as they should be for how much phones prices have increased, and OEM's have gone for throwing a bunch of cameras on the back with image processing.

I don't scroll twitter or facebook or reddit on my phone so a 120Hz display is pointless to me, and it's just extra drain on the battery.

A decent microSD card is fast enough for a phone, and IMO it's still a nice feature to have even though internal storage is faster.

It's still having to find a service center, and then paying more to have the battery replaced, phones are so much e-waste and people would hang on to their devices longer if the batteries weren't glued in.

I have a battery bank,convenient if i forget to charge my phone, but ti's still more to carry around than if i could just carry an extra battery for my phone.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

but that would require a plastic or metal back, reviewers would complain about the phone not being glass.

There are ways to implement glass on the back of phones while being easily removable,

A sliding mechanism,the glass is glued to a piece of plastic/metal that slides out of the phone and there is a screw at the bottom of the phone to secure it (a plastic/metal tab,part of the plastic/metal piece.).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

There would be plenty of room for a removable battery, but that would require a plastic or metal back, reviewers would complain about the phone not being glass. Phone manufacturers put a ton of camera lenses in phones instead of a better single or dual lens because of marketing, instead of a larger battery. The Samsung S5 for example wasn't large at all and still had a removable battery.

The headphone jack is only obsolete because OEM's would rather sell a set of earphones for $200 than include a headphone jack even as an extra feature.

Carrying a pair of BT headphones and the bulky charging case is still more than just a pair of wired headphones.

I would expect under display cameras to drive up costs even more, when the bezels were just fine, IMO the Galaxy S8 had the best bezel to screen ratio.

Phone cameras have been getting better, but not as good as they should be for how much phones prices have increased, and OEM's have gone for throwing a bunch of cameras on the back with image processing.

I don't scroll twitter or facebook or reddit on my phone so a 120Hz display is pointless to me, and it's just extra drain on the battery.

A decent microSD card is fast enough for a phone, and IMO it's still a nice feature to have even though internal storage is faster.

It's still having to find a service center, and then paying more to have the battery replaced, phones are so much e-waste and people would hang on to their devices longer if the batteries weren't glued in.

I have a battery bank,convenient if i forget to charge my phone, but ti's still more to carry around than if i could just carry an extra battery for my phone.

Right, but the removable battery in the S5 was only 2800mah. You'd be looking at something almost double the size, and it still requires the appropriate additions to work. It was discussed in a video with a phone design engineer, and he said it does add thickness to incorporate the feature. I'm sure there are people that wouldn't care, but that group isn't enough to warrant a product.

I suppose, but not every person that has a phone listens to music on it.

The S8 is ok but I'd still prefer no bezel at all. We only have to wait a week or so to see how costing is on under display sensors, though I don't imagine it'll be too shocking.

You make it seem as though cameras are the only thing that has improved in a phone, when that's far from accurate. The price of the phone also isn't only decided by the company manufacturing it, and that's something that needs to be considered as well. Not sure what metrics you've used to decide they should be better than they are.

Right. So, because you don't use it, it's useless to everyone? Brilliant logic there. A+.

There's no more e-waste to having the battery replaced at a repair shop than buying it yourself. One could actually argue having to go to a center produces less waste, as it doesn't have to be produced in larger numbers and sent to stores with packaging, as well as the shipping costs (fuel) associated with that.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The people I've met they would intially use it for everything just to show it off. After that week, it's back to the using the physical keyboard. Never saw them pull it out again ever since. 

As for the headset, Plantronics BackBeat 903+. They were cheap at CC and had the longest battery life at that price point (7 hours, the rest I could find were 5 hours). Intrigued by those Jabra Elites and Plantronics BackBeat Fit 3100s though. They look nice.

Haha, It sounds like they weren't the right consumer for it and were just trying to flex. It's incredibly useful for selecting and copy/pasting links, and I used it to proof read my gfs University papers and send her the edits. It's also amazing for the Jackbox games.

Hmm not bad. I'm not a fan of the connecting cable though. The Elites are actually what I have my eye on too. Those, or a pair of the JVC x Drop HA-FDX1s with the Shure Bluetooth adapters. Though, that route would be considerably more expensive.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, toyotavan said:

Wow didn't think that you would know that considering you probably dropped out during 7th grade.

edit: nvm now I get it, you're Canadian 

Are you trying to trash the Canadian education system from America😂

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Right, but the removable battery in the S5 was only 2800mah. You'd be looking at something almost double the size, and it still requires the appropriate additions to work. It was discussed in a video with a phone design engineer, and he said it does add thickness to incorporate the feature. I'm sure there are people that wouldn't care, but that group isn't enough to warrant a product.

I suppose, but not every person that has a phone listens to music on it.

The S8 is ok but I'd still prefer no bezel at all. We only have to wait a week or so to see how costing is on under display sensors, though I don't imagine it'll be too shocking.

You make it seem as though cameras are the only thing that has improved in a phone, when that's far from accurate. The price of the phone also isn't only decided by the company manufacturing it, and that's something that needs to be considered as well. Not sure what metrics you've used to decide they should be better than they are.

Right. So, because you don't use it, it's useless to everyone? Brilliant logic there. A+.

There's no more e-waste to having the battery replaced at a repair shop than buying it yourself. One could actually argue having to go to a center produces less waste, as it doesn't have to be produced in larger numbers and sent to stores with packaging, as well as the shipping costs (fuel) associated with that.

The beauty of a removable battery has nothing to do with home replacement.  The problem is few people took actual advantage of the feature.  What you need is two batteries and a home charger.  Then when you run out of battery you swap it with the charged one.  Zero phone charging time.  That is imho the functional purpose of a removable battery.  Not needing to spend time charging a phone is a great feature, but even if you do use it the way it is supposed to be used it is still just a feature, and one that takes up a lot of space.  

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Are you trying to trash the Canadian education system from America😂

What I find fascinating about that reply is it could have been stuck anywhere on any post on this forum.  It was completely context free.  Poster might as well have been a spambot.