Would the 3060 really compare to the 2080 ti?

I am really curious about this, because sources are saying that the flagship 3060 would either out do, or stand its ground with the 2080 ti. And with the prediction of pricing being $300-$400, it just seems too good to be true to me. Anyone else have thoughts about this or answers to this? I would like to know.

if a 400$ card could perform like a card 900$ more expensive i'd be both happy, as people with smaller budget can get better performance.

and sad because some people essentially wasted 2000$ on two 2080ti

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, flashiling said:

if a 400$ card could perform like a card 900$ more expensive i'd be both happy, as people with smaller budget can get better performance.

and sad because some people essentially wasted 2000$ on two 2080ti

I mean, SLI isn't even worth it but that is sad, especially with people wasting $1200 on a 2080 ti right now.

If we look at the previous generation the answer is no. https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4034vs3918

In most cases the 1080ti performs better than the 2060, there are some cases where the 2060 is better though which might be where some people are trying to get catch headlines, the 2060 performed better in Minecraft than the 1080ti, so the same might be true for the 2080ti vs the 3060 then all of a sudden you've got a click bait headline.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

Just now, Artellama said:

I mean, SLI isn't even worth it but that is sad, especially with people wasting $1200 on a 2080 ti right now.

personally, i don't think so.

if we use old cards as an example.

the 2060 is not close to the 1080ti at all.

so i doubt the 3060 will be close to 2080ti

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Artellama said:

I am really curious about this, because sources are saying that the flagship 3060 would either out do, or stand its ground with the 2080 ti. And with the prediction of pricing being $300-$400, it just seems too good to be true to me. Anyone else have thoughts about this or answers to this? I would like to know.

We don't really know but is should be similar to a 2070 or 2080.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2 minutes ago, flashiling said:

personally, i don't think so.

if we use old cards as an example.

the 2060 is not close to the 1080ti at all.

so i doubt the 3060 will be close to 2080ti

I mean time will tell. and from the sources I am looking at, the 3060 will have almost a full gigabyte of boost clock than a founders edition overclocked, and faster memory speed, so we will see.

I'd love to see where you got that kind of information from. It's wrong.

The 3060 will likely perform between a 2070 Super/2080. So, quite powerful yes, but a far cry from a 2080 Ti.

Anyone buying a card before the launch of a new line is making a mistake, even if you're buying a 2070.

10 minutes ago, mopman94 said:

If we look at the previous generation the answer is no. https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4034vs3918

In most cases the 1080ti performs better than the 2060, there are some cases where the 2060 is better though which might be where some people are trying to get catch headlines, the 2060 performed better in Minecraft than the 1080ti, so the same might be true for the 2080ti vs the 3060 then all of a sudden you've got a click bait headline.

Userbenchmark is trash.

It's also worth noting that they're expecting a significant jump with the 3000 series. More than the last generation. I'm just not sure if that extends across the whole stack, or just in the upper tier cards. I wouldn't put it past them handicapping the lower cards a bit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd love to see where you got that kind of information from. It's wrong.

The 3060 will likely perform between a 2070 Super/2080. So, quite powerful yes, but a far cry from a 2080 Ti.

Anyone buying a card before the launch of a new line is making a mistake, even if you're buying a 2070.

Userbenchmark is trash.

It's also worth noting that they're expecting a significant jump with the 3000 series. More than the last generation. I'm just not sure if that extends across the whole stack, or just in the upper tier cards. I wouldn't put it past them handicapping the lower cards a bit.

I see where youre going, so how about the 3070 when it releases?

This is my take on the 3000 series compared to the 2000 series.

3080 Ti = ?

3080 = 2080 Ti

3070 = 2080 Super

3060 = 2070 Super

3050 = 2060 Super 
There is no way that a 3060 will be equal to a 2080 Ti. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

12 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

3080 Ti = ?

3080 = 2080 Ti

3070 = 2080 Super

3060 = 2070 Super

3050 = 2060 Super 

I really hope they slot in the new cards at least at the same price. Or with NVIDIA being NVIDIA they can just keep the performance at each price range the same (like with the 1080Ti to 2080, same price, same performance) and make everything beyond 2080Ti performance more expensive than any current card...

Afaik each generation the "flagship" GPU is more and more expensive...

Imo a realistic expectation is, that the 3080Ti/3090 will be more like 1500+ $, which is sad, of course...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

24 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

3080 Ti = ?

3080 = 2080 Ti

3070 = 2080 Super

3060 = 2070 Super

3050 = 2060 Super 

Plus the "3rd Generation Super" Variants when they deem needed, so maybe even further restrictions to non-Super (Memory Bandwidth) so the Super's can show some gains. But that could pad out the list above even further vs what we have now.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

33 minutes ago, dizmo said:

yeah, theyre saying the jump would be similar to that of maxwell to pascal. pascal to turing was a tad bit underwhelming, expect turing to ampere to be massive.

and dont forget big navi, those guys either have something huge under their sleeves and are hiding it from everybody, or the leaks are bullshit

😕

6 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Plus the "3rd Generation Super" Variants when they deem needed, so maybe even further restrictions to non-Super (Memory Bandwidth) so the Super's can show some gains. But that could pad out the list above even further vs what we have now.

with the intial launches expected to be on the samsung 8nm node, and the super refreshes expected to be on the tsmc 7nm node, that could factor in as a major performance increase as well

😕

19 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Afaik each generation the "flagship" GPU is more and more expensive...

Imo a realistic expectation is, that the 3080Ti/3090 will be more like 1500+ $, which is sad, of course...

lmao some rumours state that the 3090 may be priced near 2000$

but then they also say that nvidia may ditch the titan and the 3090 may be the titan replacement

nevertheless, without strong competition from AMD, nvidia can do whatever the hell they want with their products and pricing

fingers crossed

😕

8 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

lmao some rumours state that the 3090 may be priced near 2000$

but then they also say that nvidia may ditch the titan and the 3090 may be the titan replacement

nevertheless, without strong competition from AMD, nvidia can do whatever the hell they want with their products and pricing

fingers crossed

The thing that really uspets me is that people still buy the 2080Ti for this rediculous price and will likely buy the 3080Ti/3090 aswell, even if it's sitting at 1500-2000$ MSRP. And NVIDIA will just happily increase prices because these overpriced cards are gettings sold like crazy for whatever reason...

Like you said, the only way out for us consumers is to boycott these expensive products (which we know, is not gonna happen because everyone wants more performance) or strong competition. AMD is our biggest hope here. But as it stands now, i'll be surprised if they can even offer anything at the 2080Ti performance level...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The thing that really uspets me is that people still buy the 2080Ti for this rediculous price and will likely buy the 3080Ti/3090 aswell, even if it's sitting at 1500-2000$ MSRP. And NVIDIA will just happily increase prices because these overpriced cards are gettings sold like crazy for whatever reason...

enthusiasts and rich people who have no idea about hardware; these are the main customers of nvidia's "1200$+ range of GeForce" products. theyll pay whatever the price is for the absolute best hardware they can get. all about that fps. but then its their money and they can spend it however they want

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Like you said, the only way out for us consumers is to boycott these expensive products (which we know, is not gonna happen because everyone wants more performance) or strong competition. AMD is our biggest hope here. But as it stands now, i'll be surprised if they can even offer anything at the 2080Ti performance level...

imo boycotting them wont be of any use, theyll just drop the price by 100$ and everyone will praise them for being "so considerate towards their customers". AMD seem to have something wicked good up their sleeves, hopefully they compete with nvidia head to head. in the end, i dont care which brand makes it, ill just buy the better product thats in my budget

😕

1 minute ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

enthusiasts and rich people who have no idea about hardware; these are the main customers of nvidia's "1200$+ range of GeForce" products. theyll pay whatever the price is for the absolute best hardware they can get. all about that fps. but then its their money and they can spend it however they want

imo boycotting them wont be of any use, theyll just drop the price by 100$ and everyone will praise them for being "so considerate towards their customers". AMD seem to have something wicked good up their sleeves, hopefully they compete with nvidia head to head. in the end, i dont care which brand makes it, ill just buy the better product thats in my budget

dang this question has turned into a heated situation about performance and rich people

2 minutes ago, Artellama said:

dang this question has turned into a heated situation about performance and rich people

Just reasoning why 2080Ti like performance is not a realistic expectation in a 300-400$ card like a 3060. NVIDIA won't offer this level of price/performance until there is something from AMD that makes them do it. After all they're a company, not a charity and they will charge whatever they expect people will pay for their products. They already made people buy consumer GPUs for 1300$ with the 2080Ti, so unless AMD has something to offer, they don't have a reason to increase their value becasue they will sell their stuff either way.

Just my humble opinion.

18 minutes ago, Artellama said:

lmaooo nothing like that just frustrated that im too broke :(

😕

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Just reasoning why 2080Ti like performance is not a realistic expectation in a 300-400$ card like a 3060. NVIDIA won't offer this level of price/performance until there is something from AMD that makes them do it. After all they're a company, not a charity and they will charge whatever they expect people will pay for their products. They already made people buy consumer GPUs for 1300$ with the 2080Ti, so unless AMD has something to offer, they don't have a reason to increase their value becasue they will sell their stuff either way.

Just my humble opinion.

Exactly this - Nvidia is a company whose number one goal is to make money - if they can make people pay over the odds for high-end GPUs, then why won’t they?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

3 hours ago, Artellama said:

will the entry level budget 30 series card compare to the top end king of the 20 series?

lets think about it for a second.

of course not.

after all, we are still talking budget vs flagship.

does the 2060 compare to the 1080 ti? nope.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

This better not be related to the many "leaks" posted on wccftech or thr handful of sites that post their information as gospel.

If the source is wccftech take what they say with a dump truck full of salt.

7 hours ago, Artellama said:

I see where youre going, so how about the 3070 when it releases?

How will it compare? Or how will it perform?
Really, any questions like that are pointless. None of us know. Just wait until the card is released, and you'll see. It's only a few weeks.

6 hours ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

yeah, theyre saying the jump would be similar to that of maxwell to pascal. pascal to turing was a tad bit underwhelming, expect turing to ampere to be massive.

and dont forget big navi, those guys either have something huge under their sleeves and are hiding it from everybody, or the leaks are bullshit

They're figuring up to 30%. Naturally, that doesn't mean every game will get a 30% increase.

Eh, AMD is notorious for over-hyping their GPU line up, so I put absolutely no faith in big Navi. Their drivers are also pretty shit.

Until they have 2 solid years of problem free updates, I wouldn't even bother with them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Until they have 2 solid years of problem free updates, I wouldn't even bother with them.

Nvidia and Intel have never had 2 years of problem free updates either... Are you not bothering with any GPUs at all for the foreseeable future?

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms