Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HelpfulTechWizard

Will AMD win high end gaming now?; Ryzen 9 4950x specs leaked

Posted · Original PosterOP

Summary

According to Igors Lab, the new AMD Ryzen 9 4950x specs have been leaked. This stems from a OPN code, 100-000000059-52_48/35_Y. The 35 means 3.5Ghz base clock, and the 48 means a 4.8 ghz boost, a whole 100Mhz faster than the current Gen 3950x. Both CPUs would be 16c/32t CPUs, but the newer 4000 cpu would be effected by the 10-20% IPC boost rumored in the past.

Quotes

A new leak has detailed AMD’s Zen 3-based Ryzen 9 4950X CPU - and it should have Intel worried.

This leak comes via Igors Lab, which reveals that the so-called Ryzen 9 4950X will be a 16-core, 32-thread part with an impressive boost frequency of 4.8GHz. 

The information comes from an OPN code which reads "100-000000059-52_48/35_Y." The ’35’ at the end signifies the 3.5 GHz base clock, with ’48’ telling us the boost clock is 4.8 GHz. That’s 100MHz higher than the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, which tops out at 4.7GHz. 

A previous leak claims Ryzen 4000 CPUs will deliver 15% to 17% better IPC (instructions per clock) compared to AMD's Ryzen 3000 desktop processors, which is bad news for Intel. 

Let us first come to the beat, that is, what most people are interested in in the first place. What can be ordered for testing from the relevant companies is called 100-000000059-52_48/35_Y.  Well, the first part of the OPN is not new, I had already published it, but at the end there is the classification for the clock rates. And that’s exactly what up to 4.8 GHz boost clock at 3.5 GHz base clock for all 16 cores looks quite good.

My thoughts

One, its nice to see some non Epic v Apple news right now. If this is true, with a decent win in the silicon lottery, a 5ghz  all core base AMD CPU would be possible, with decent cooling. With the AMD CPUs right around the corner, stuff seems to be heating up right now.

Sources

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-4950x-leak-has-appeared-and-it-could-take-intels-gaming-crown

https://www.igorslab.de/en/exclusive-informations-on-amds-next-generation-cpu-ryzen-9-4950x-sea-with-high-boost-tact-and-new-features-a-la-intel/

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
19 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

effected by the 10-20% IPC boost

i'll believe it when i see it

19 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

with a decent win in the silicon lottery, a 5ghz  all core base AMD CPU would be possible

iirc the top 5% of 3900x can do 4.2 all core at 1.25v? think 5GHz is still far away

unless the new chips are much better

that said, im excited to not have to think about which brand to get for specific tasks

gaming? AMD multithread? AMD, much simpler time deciding on next upgrade

here's to hoping AMD tops intel in gaming workloads

edit: and put some RnD money into fixing up their software hopefully...

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Moonzy said:

iirc the top 5% of 3900x can do 4.2 all core at 1.25v? think 5GHz is still far away

unless the new chips are much better

It's supposed to be 4.8 all core boost. Anything is possible. 

Yeah. The main problem for current gen intel/and is that Intel kills on the IPC right now.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD

I've never even thought that AMD needs to "win" gaming, Intel's need to hang on to that seemed very arbitrary. AMD just need to be good enough that the frame difference is inconsequential next to all the other benefits.

That said, a chip that basically was the fastest FPS in gaming as well as multi-threaded applications would be pretty hard to turn down.

I'm still hoping the 4000 series helps to lower the price of the 3000 series the way the 3000 did for 2000. I'm sitting on a first gen 1700x and would love that bump in IPC and clock (not to mention finally get my ram running at it's proper 3200mhz speed).

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

4 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

It's supposed to be 4.8 all core boost

all core boost? isnt that 1 or 2 core boost?

5 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

The main problem for current gen intel/and is that Intel kills on the IPC right now.

i thought AMD has better IPC but intel cpu has lower latency? i could be wrong though

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

well we have to see what 11th gen has to offer but a lot of core isnt necessary for gaming most games dont scale very good on more than 12 threads  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

9 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well we have to see what 11th gen has to offer but a lot of core isnt necessary for gaming most games dont scale very good on more than 12 threads  

11th gen has nothing.

23 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Yeah. The main problem for current gen intel/and is that Intel kills on the IPC right now.

AMD stops intels IPC. intel holds on by clockspeed and zen2 not scaling well as clock speeds hit 5ghz

AMD is going to have this holiday locked down. 4950X and a top AMD card would be a really nice pair for under 2k

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

1 hour ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Not really, the existing chips follow the same naming and the boost frequency in that is not the all core. Not that Zen/Ryzen actually has an "all core", it's just power budget and voltage limits and you get what you get, which is better than fixed steps/multi's based on core loading.

I have to wonder if a hypothetical 4800X would be the best gaming CPU, not a 4950X. The speculated move to 8 core CCX means you have all 8 cores able to work best with each other without that CCX/CCD communication choke point. Without the extra cores sapping power, the 8 cores might be able to boost more consistently too.

On AMD's boost strategy since Zen 2, each core is separately tested for their best clock and not all cores are able to reach the stated maximum single core boost clocks. Intel's previous policy was that any core could hit the single core boost, so that was interesting for overclockers. Intel had to follow AMD's strategy now to get more performance out of each CPU, and some cores may boost further than others.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i'll believe it when i see it

I mean Zen+ to Zen2 was a signifcant increase in IPC which AMD claimed numerous times and turned out to be true. I could see it given how much of an improvement Zen2 was over Zen+.

4 minutes ago, ThePD said:

I mean Zen+ to Zen2 was a signifcant increase in IPC which AMD claimed numerous times and turned out to be true. I could see it given how much of an improvement Zen2 was over Zen+.

that was with a node jump from 14(12) (gloflo? TSMC?) to 7nm TSMC

i'd say 5-10%, but i'll welcome 10-20% any day

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wish AMD would make a 4 core HT or 6 core no HT part with laser focus on all core frequency. Priced within the existing Ryzen 5/i5 price bracket.

That would surgically remove the remaining reasons for anyone to consider an Intel CPU.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

that was with a node jump from 14(12) (gloflo? TSMC?) to 7nm TSMC

nodes (generally speaking) doesnt cause any IPC increase or decrease unless there is a major "bottleneck" that is relieved or constrained due to a clockspeed change. like how SMT fills CPU time where it would otherwise be "idle".

47 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

6 core no HT

yep, that would be a useless part on arrival outside of high refresh titles. 

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i thought AMD has better IPC but intel cpu has lower latency?

AMD has better IPC but Intel has higher clocks. Latency didn't make much of a difference in tests iirc unless they were specifically testing for it.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, Sauron said:

AMD has better IPC but Intel has higher clocks. Latency didn't make much of a difference in tests iirc unless they were specifically testing for it.

zen 2 and intel scores about the same in cinebench single core scores, i think

but there's still clear difference in gaming somehow, i thought it was to do with latency? guess not?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

If that's the case, Ryzen 9 4900X might be going even faster, 4.9GHz or even 5GHz boost. Interesting indeed. And then massive IPC boost on top. 4000 series is going to be sweet. Also my god the MOAR CORES on this one (considering gaming here). I wonder though what will happen when chiplets become as big as old monolithic CPU's were. What then? Just be forced to do MOAR CORES thing and stagnate the clock and force game devs to do something with more threads instead of higher core count.

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

zen 2 and intel scores about the same in cinebench single core scores, i think

Do they? 🤔

Spoiler

RASVSkwfJyycLJ8fumWiq7-650-80.png.webp

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Hasn't this been posted already?  And didn't they later find one with a 4.9GHz boost?

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

nodes (generally speaking) doesnt cause any IPC increase or decrease unless there is a major "bottleneck" that is relieved or constrained due to a clockspeed change. like how SMT fills CPU time where it would otherwise be "idle".

Nodes indirectly affect IPC though, in that they allow you do squeeze in more transistors to do more stuff. I don't know how much of the IPC change between Zen and Zen 2 was down to execution specific changes as opposed to the bigger caches. Tiger Lake seems to be hinting going in a similar direction. Intel claim an increase in IPC over Ice Lake, yet Anandtech say there was no change to the architecture, so it follows part of that improvement must come from the increased caches.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I wonder though what will happen when chiplets become as big as old monolithic CPU's were.

I forget what has been said in rumours about Zen 3, but I assume it is still 8 cores per CCD like Zen 2. The difference I think will help that generation is that 8 cores is now one big CCX, not two smaller CCX of 4 cores each.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

I heard Zen 3 will be named 5xxx, not 4xxx, so people won't get confused because of the 4xxx APUs with Zen 2.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

i'd say 5-10%, but i'll welcome 10-20% any day

The "real" IPC performance depends on the workload and the acutal instructions being used. Could be just a benefit for rendering and no improvement for gaming.

15 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I heard Zen 3 will be named 5xxx, not 4xxx, so people won't get confused because of the 4xxx APUs with Zen 2.

Didn't stop them doing that in previous generations, and is a problem of their own making anyway.

15 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

The "real" IPC performance depends on the workload and the acutal instructions being used. Could be just a benefit for rendering and no improvement for gaming.

When CPU manufacturers talk about IPC, they generally talk about the average over a wide range of workloads. People will for sure argue over the details, but it does generally mean it isn't a few best case cherry picked scenarios.

3 hours ago, porina said:

I have to wonder if a hypothetical 4800X would be the best gaming CPU, not a 4950X. The speculated move to 8 core CCX means you have all 8 cores able to work best with each other without that CCX/CCD communication choke point. Without the extra cores sapping power, the 8 cores might be able to boost more consistently too.

On AMD's boost strategy since Zen 2, each core is separately tested for their best clock and not all cores are able to reach the stated maximum single core boost clocks. Intel's previous policy was that any core could hit the single core boost, so that was interesting for overclockers. Intel had to follow AMD's strategy now to get more performance out of each CPU, and some cores may boost further than others.

The 8c is almost assuredly where the real potency will be with zen3, unless you really need the rendering horsepower. The 8c CCX means a lot. And I'm also sure AMD will be happy to sell the upper bins for a lot, as well.

Expect 12% to be the general number when talking about IPC improvements. Higher & lower in some workloads, but the server builders have had working silicon since late 2019, why we seem to know quite a lot about the product. "TSMC N7e" is the node, mostly as TSMC has renamed their 7nm nodes a bunch.

45 minutes ago, porina said:

Nodes indirectly affect IPC though, in that they allow you do squeeze in more transistors to do more stuff. I don't know how much of the IPC change between Zen and Zen 2 was down to execution specific changes as opposed to the bigger caches. Tiger Lake seems to be hinting going in a similar direction. Intel claim an increase in IPC over Ice Lake, yet Anandtech say there was no change to the architecture, so it follows part of that improvement must come from the increased caches.

I forget what has been said in rumours about Zen 3, but I assume it is still 8 cores per CCD like Zen 2. The difference I think will help that generation is that 8 cores is now one big CCX, not two smaller CCX of 4 cores each.

An AMD tech lead gave a talk at a HPC conference and it got put online last March/April. As a result, we know a lot about the design. The deeper architecture upgrades we won't see until they give presentations on it.

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The 8c is almost assuredly where the real potency will be with zen3, unless you really need the rendering horsepower. The 8c CCX means a lot. And I'm also sure AMD will be happy to sell the upper bins for a lot, as well.

Certainly for my compute uses, the 4 core CCX was the biggest single hurdle stopping Zen 2 being perfect. Forces you to fragment workloads to get best throughput and limits job sizes.

I think I'll only get one sample of Zen 3 to play with, and will target the lowest bin of 8 core. The minor clock differences don't really matter for my purposes. It will most likely form the basis of my next gaming system along with a next gen GPU when they come out.

Going beyond 8 cores, by implication requiring more CCDs, will of course bring more performance in other use cases, but also reintroduces the fragmented nature of the design.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

An AMD tech lead gave a talk at a HPC conference and it got put online last March/April. As a result, we know a lot about the design. The deeper architecture upgrades we won't see until they give presentations on it.

Got a link to that? 

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Do they? 🤔

Hide contents

RASVSkwfJyycLJ8fumWiq7-650-80.png.webp

Yes, if we want to be picky with our benchmarks and sources, lol.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-7-3800xt-review/

Zoq2pFM8D7MkrXAvXT4CvY-650-80.png.webp

For sake of transparency, you can see the 3900XT lose against the 10900K from the exact same source:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt-review/

ZEwikNA4RMKHVjpxPwsTd-650-80.png.webp

With a stronger IMC, AMD could easily catch up to or even exceed Intel's current gaming performance. Couple that with better core scaling over time and AMD is sitting in a pretty good spot right now.

As for Intel, they need to roll with the changes. Do away with trying to keep everything in-house on an aging fab and start outsourcing to other fabs. Design something that will produce higher yield rates to meet the supply demands and do away with the terrible marketing decisions plaguing their platform. Stop treating overclocking like it's a premium feature that must be paid for on both their CPU's and chipsets, and give consumers their options back. As much grief as people give Intel, they are still offering a good product, they are just shooting themselves in the foot with these artificial limitations and premature platform obsoletion. Plenty of people would buy a Core i5 10400 if it were overclockable on an H470 board, even if the quality of the silicon wasn't as great as a 10600k.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.