If you can't beat 'em, join em - 30 Anime Studios launch joint YouTube channel of free anime.

rcmaehl

Might not be tech enough, feel free to move to Off-Topic or another forum if needed mods :) 

Summary

30 large anime studios have launched a joint venture that is sure to take a chunk out of piracy. The channel aims to have 3000 anime titles up by 2022.

Quotes

30 Japanese anime companies have come together on a newly launched YouTube channel named AnimeLog to provide free anime episodes. Notable companies such as Toei Animation (One Piece, Digimon), Tezuka Productions (Kimba The White Lion, Black Jack), Kodansha (Noragami, Akira, Cardcaptor Sakura), Nippon Animation (Hunter X Hunter), Shogakukan-Shueisha Prod. (Inuyasha, Ranma ½ , Hamtaro) and Shin-Ei Animation (Doraemon, Crayon Shin-Chan) will be sharing their beloved titles on this platform. The channel aims to have 3000 anime titles up by 2022. The anime shows on AnimeLog are currently only available for viewing in Japan. But, they have plans to include English and Chinese subtitles in the future. Kadokawa and Toei Animation are already operating their own anime channels on YouTube. However,... by joining forces, there is a higher possibility of gaining more advertising revenue. Moreover, it will discourage anime fans from illegally streaming anime on other sites.

While the service has shown episodes of Black Jack and Future Man Conan to users in Japan, there are plans to bring subtitled content in English and Chinese. This could potentially be a massive blow to localization and licencing companies, with the shows producers cutting out the middle man and delivering content directly to western viewers. There have been concerns about how much supporting the officially licenced translation supports the original creators. Despite claims by some non-Japanese companies giving large investment or support to the anime industry, that the animators themselves had not noticed any major changes. How the channel aims to monetize themselves is another question. Much like broadcasting in Japan, sponsors (or rather adverts with YouTube) is how AnimeLog reportedly operates. A hypothetical free streaming service with only adverts and sponsorship to endure (that directly supports the shows creators) may be the best alternative to tempt people away from piracy. AnimeLog’s operations, reportedly stated that the service does just that. “There exists a problem of illegal video distribution service these days, but ‘AnimeLog’ will distribute only officially-licensed animations and operate as a safe channel that families can enjoy together.”

My thoughts

First off, RIP KissAnime, not that anyone here or myself used it. Second off, this is definitely going to take a chunk out of piracy AND they be making ad revenue off it as well. Maybe they'll even have channel memberships and premieres for even more cash flow. Regardless, this is an all around amazing play by the Anime Studios and I look forward to supporting them

Sources

Geek Culture

NIche Gamer

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

First off, RIP KissAnime

F

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Regardless, this is an all around amazing play by the Anime Studios and I look forward to supporting them

+1

just hope it's not region locked for too long

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

just hope it's not region locked...

Currently, yes, but per the Studios to be released to the English and China audiences SOON

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

FUCKING FINALLY! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

as an anime fan in india, with no streaming sites to resort to for my anime, i often find myself streamin from sites like kissanime

F

regardless, hope they finish the uploading soon, coz my other site that i rely on may get banned any time, and Attack on Titan season 4 is on its way

😕

9 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

RIP KissAnime,

F.

I'm to lazy to grab a laptop or something to make the F bigger. Someone message be about it in a hour.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Might not be tech enough, feel free to move to Off-Topic or another forum if needed mods :) 

Summary

30 large anime studios have launched a joint venture that is sure to take a chunk out of piracy. The channel aims to have 3000 anime titles up by 2022.

20 years late.

This might bode well for new content, but existing content left the barn within a day of getting onto crunchyroll and funimation.

sounds like show producers are advertising themselves for free.

Details separate people.

This is pretty epic, but it's going to take sooooooo loooong before even a fraction of my favourite sites contents are up there sadly. Hopefully the new stuff gets priority, a large thing with the not so legal stuff is the same day subs they crank out

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Good, I'm tired of region limitation.

I tried, I subscribed to several services, including Crunchy Roll, and I kept getting denied access to certain animes because I live in the NL.

So be it, I tried the biggest French anime legal distribution. Same story.

VPN is not a solution for me because:

- Why should I pay extra while I am already paying premium service ?

- Those websites do not allow the use of VPN, and you risk to be banned immediately once they catch you.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

Seeing Japanese studios finally get some sense knocked into them is a good thing. CR, VRV, Funi, etc have been alright options for people willing to pay and living in the very limited regions they service, but there is always going to be a limited audience for that. Hopefully the studios don't do extreme region locking as well. It's understandable that they wouldn't be able to do subs for every major language out there, but given how much of the world understands English they could remove region restrictions on pretty much anything with English subs without too much issue (barring existing licensing contracts, of course).

Nozomi and Gundaminfo have been doing this for a bit as well (they both even have dubbed releases of certain series on their YT channels) but I believe they both use region locking so it's not a great solution for people outside of those regions, barring using a VPN.

This is good because Funimation is horribly exploitive and loves to shit on creators and their works and Crunchyroll is a massive scam where they funnel money they claim go to creators into their own pockets while enforcing a strict monopoly of their own.

4 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Cardcaptor Sakura

the original or the remake?

Already got my sub to AnimeLAB because they are the only one that seems to have the rights in Australia. for anything else crunchyroll without a sub works well enough.

Spoiler

plus animelab doesn't censor....certain things.....like CR does.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

25 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

This is good because Funimation is horribly exploitive and loves to shit on creators and their works and Crunchyroll is a massive scam where they funnel money they claim go to creators into their own pockets while enforcing a strict monopoly of their own.

Care to back up those claims?

All I know is that whenever I've tried to watch anything DBZ related via Funimation's streaming service, it's dog shit slow.

Like, takes a few minutes to buffer an episode so I'm not constantly waiting for it to buffer, slow. And this over a gigabit connection.

That, and they don't have the correct version of DBZ with the metal soundtrack.

Will this be doing English subs only? No dubs?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

First off, RIP KissAnime, not that anyone here or myself used it. Second off, this is definitely going to take a chunk out of piracy AND they be making ad revenue off it as well. Maybe they'll even have channel memberships and premieres for even more cash flow. Regardless, this is an all around amazing play by the Anime Studios and I look forward to supporting them

Sources

Geek Culture

NIche Gamer

I'll be honest, I really don't like anime, it's not my thing at all.

That said this is an incredibly forward thinking move by the industry. While we still have music, movie and gaming execs trying everything to stop their content from ending up on free consumption sites the Anime industry has realised what we have been trying to tell the rest of them for years. The major reason for piracy is simply a lack of availability, you solve the availability issue and most people will happily pay for a subscription to consume. The people that won't are the ones that wouldn't anyway and you can't win against those types of people.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

30 large anime studios have launched a joint venture that is sure to take a chunk out of piracy. The channel aims to have 3000 anime titles up by 2022

About damn time

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I'll be honest, I really don't like anime, it's not my thing at all.

That said this is an incredibly forward thinking move by the industry. While we still have music, movie and gaming execs trying everything to stop their content from ending up on free consumption sites the Anime industry has realised what we have been trying to tell the rest of them for years. The major reason for piracy is simply a lack of availability, you solve the availability issue and most people will happily pay for a subscription to consume. The people that won't are the ones that wouldn't anyway and you can't win against those types of people.

Exactly, availability in regions and forcing people to sub to 1000 different streaming services too

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

inb4 region lock

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Already got my sub to AnimeLAB because they are the only one that seems to have the rights in Australia

AnimeLab is also regarded as one of the largest libraries under a single service and also offers dubs, so go AUS/NZ :)

Also their site and player isn't garbage like CR is.

I actually did use KissAnime so F. But oh wow yeah this quite awesome really. Neat. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

That, and they don't have the correct version of DBZ with the metal soundtrack.

Will this be doing English subs only? No dubs?

If you are talking about the original dub score by Faulconer, Funimation doesn't have it because they cannot legally use it. You can thank Faulconer's prettiness for this. Beyond that, a lot of fans of Z absolutely hated Faulconer's score and that was the message Funimation received, causing them to not use him for the GT dub and causing him to throw a temper tantrum about it.

Sounds like it's going to be subs only.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

If you are talking about the original dub score by Faulconer, Funimation doesn't have it because they cannot legally use it. You can thank Faulconer's prettiness for this. Beyond that, a lot of fans of Z absolutely hated Faulconer's score and that was the message Funimation received, causing them to not use him for the GT dub and causing him to throw a temper tantrum about it.

Sounds like it's going to be subs only.

Everything you just said made me increasingly angry.

That soundtrack is, in my humble opinion, one of the best soundtracks ever made. It's memorable, whereas the original is infinitely forgettable.

He was better off not being associated with GT.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs