Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys ,

I was wondering about the PCIe gen4 and I'm really confused about it 

is it only for storage (M.2 NVMe) or is it also for the graphics cards ?

I'd appreciate the explanation

thanks  

Any PCIe device that supports it.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Just now, AshSenpai said:

Hey guys ,

I was wondering about the PCIe gen4 and I'm really confused about it 

is it only for storage (M.2 NVMe) or is it also for the graphics cards ?

I'd appreciate the explanation

thanks  

PCIe 4.0 will be able to handle anything PCIe 3.0 could. PCIe 4.0 is not a new standard, it's just a new implementation. It's both forward and backwards compatible, so your current cards will work in a PCIe 4.0 port.

Like PCIe 3.0, a manufacturer simply just have to provide a PCIe 4.0 standard on the IO card, question is if the IO card can take advantage of the increased bandwith.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Any PCIe device that supports it.

is the nvme socket also could be pcie gen4 ??

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Nicolai Mortensen said:

PCIe 4.0 will be able to handle anything PCIe 3.0 could. PCIe 4.0 is not a new standard, it's just a new implementation. It's both forward and backwards compatible, so your current cards will work in a PCIe 4.0 port.

Like PCIe 3.0, a manufacturer simply just have to provide a PCIe 4.0 standard on the IO card, question is if the IO card can take advantage of the increased bandwith.

will if nvidia release a gen4 card this year i guess intel will be screwed i was wondering if they left empty pins in the socket to enable pci gen4 like amd

Edited by AshSenpai
5 minutes ago, AshSenpai said:

will if nvidia release a gen4 card this year i guess intel will be screwed i was wondering if they left empty pins in the socket to enable pci gen4 like amd

afaik, gen 3 and 4 use the same pin, but different protocol

and intel might be screwed in marketing checkboxes, but i doubt the next gen GPU can even saturate pcie 3.0 x16 for normal gameplays

if they do, it would be a huge leap in performance, or next gen games are coded to be bandwidth intensive

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

6 minutes ago, AshSenpai said:

Why would they release a card that only about 20% of the market can use?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

afaik, gen 3 and 4 use the same pin, but different protocol

and intel might be screwed in marketing checkboxes, but i doubt the next gen GPU can even saturate pcie 3.0 x16 for normal gameplays

if they do, it would be a huge leap in performance, or next gen games are coded to be bandwidth intensive

good point,if next gen is really next gen that would benefits to use gen4 then im screwed cause i cant wait for my next build any longer i want it future proof i tend to upgrade rarely like buy the high end stuff and after 6 years upgrade again 

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

it may not benefit them now but they might release it so that next year consumer will be aware of it and have an reason to upgrade for extra 40 fps i guess its just marketing

18 minutes ago, gloop said:

My understanding is a gen 4 card works in on gen 3 board

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Like it was said before yes it's backward and forward compatible.  So yes a gen 4 card works in a gen 3 slot and vice versa. 

Also next nvidia gpu are supposed to be pcie gen4.

Also some motherboard manufacturer made z490 pcie gen4 compatible but for now intel don't have any pcie gen4 support on cpu. 

I7 4770 non K

Sapphire nitro+ RX 590 SE

16 gig of G.Skill DDR3 at 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

Asus Z97-A USB 3.0

Corsair HX 850 gold semi-modular PSU

Noctua NH-U12S with a second noctua NF-F12 fan
Antec 302 with stock antec 120mm and 140 mm as exhaust

1x Noctua NF-A12x15 as side exhaust

2x Noctua NF-S12A as intake

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb SSD

Toshiba DT01ADA200 2 Tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache

Logitech G305

GMMK tkl barebones with kailh speed copper and blank pbt dsa profile keycap. 

19 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Like it was said before yes it's backward and forward compatible.  So yes a gen 4 card works in a gen 3 slot and vice versa. 

Also next nvidia gpu are supposed to be pcie gen4.

Also some motherboard manufacturer made z490 pcie gen4 compatible but for now intel don't have any pcie gen4 support on cpu. 

I didn't know that z490 motherboards supports pcie gen4 but what i know is intel cpu dont lol thanks for that info i guess intel have to do something about it

On 8/17/2020 at 4:44 AM, AshSenpai said:

I didn't know that z490 motherboards supports pcie gen4 but what i know is intel cpu dont lol thanks for that info i guess intel have to do something about it

Intel is just not ready for pcie gen 4 ... about the same as 10nm I suppose ...

Well if boards (some or all I don't know) can support it we could hope that intel bring it to the next line of cpu and keep the same socket.  Not that it would make any differences for gpu (maybe for the 3090 super ti super somethin somethin) unless the low end ones are being on pcie gen4 x8 and that then it matters a bit ... like the rx5500 xt if I remember correctly. 

I7 4770 non K

Sapphire nitro+ RX 590 SE

16 gig of G.Skill DDR3 at 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

Asus Z97-A USB 3.0

Corsair HX 850 gold semi-modular PSU

Noctua NH-U12S with a second noctua NF-F12 fan
Antec 302 with stock antec 120mm and 140 mm as exhaust

1x Noctua NF-A12x15 as side exhaust

2x Noctua NF-S12A as intake

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb SSD

Toshiba DT01ADA200 2 Tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache

Logitech G305

GMMK tkl barebones with kailh speed copper and blank pbt dsa profile keycap.