PCIe Gen4

Hey guys ,

I was wondering about the PCIe gen4 and I'm really confused about it 

is it only for storage (M.2 NVMe) or is it also for the graphics cards ?

I'd appreciate the explanation

thanks  

Any PCIe device that supports it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, AshSenpai said:

Hey guys ,

I was wondering about the PCIe gen4 and I'm really confused about it 

is it only for storage (M.2 NVMe) or is it also for the graphics cards ?

I'd appreciate the explanation

thanks  

PCIe 4.0 will be able to handle anything PCIe 3.0 could. PCIe 4.0 is not a new standard, it's just a new implementation. It's both forward and backwards compatible, so your current cards will work in a PCIe 4.0 port.

Like PCIe 3.0, a manufacturer simply just have to provide a PCIe 4.0 standard on the IO card, question is if the IO card can take advantage of the increased bandwith.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Any PCIe device that supports it.

is the nvme socket also could be pcie gen4 ??

2 minutes ago, Nicolai Mortensen said:

PCIe 4.0 will be able to handle anything PCIe 3.0 could. PCIe 4.0 is not a new standard, it's just a new implementation. It's both forward and backwards compatible, so your current cards will work in a PCIe 4.0 port.

Like PCIe 3.0, a manufacturer simply just have to provide a PCIe 4.0 standard on the IO card, question is if the IO card can take advantage of the increased bandwith.

will if nvidia release a gen4 card this year i guess intel will be screwed i was wondering if they left empty pins in the socket to enable pci gen4 like amd

Edited by AshSenpai

5 minutes ago, AshSenpai said:

will if nvidia release a gen4 card this year i guess intel will be screwed i was wondering if they left empty pins in the socket to enable pci gen4 like amd

afaik, gen 3 and 4 use the same pin, but different protocol

and intel might be screwed in marketing checkboxes, but i doubt the next gen GPU can even saturate pcie 3.0 x16 for normal gameplays

if they do, it would be a huge leap in performance, or next gen games are coded to be bandwidth intensive

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, AshSenpai said:

Why would they release a card that only about 20% of the market can use?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

afaik, gen 3 and 4 use the same pin, but different protocol

and intel might be screwed in marketing checkboxes, but i doubt the next gen GPU can even saturate pcie 3.0 x16 for normal gameplays

if they do, it would be a huge leap in performance, or next gen games are coded to be bandwidth intensive

good point,if next gen is really next gen that would benefits to use gen4 then im screwed cause i cant wait for my next build any longer i want it future proof i tend to upgrade rarely like buy the high end stuff and after 6 years upgrade again 

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

it may not benefit them now but they might release it so that next year consumer will be aware of it and have an reason to upgrade for extra 40 fps i guess its just marketing

18 minutes ago, gloop said:

My understanding is a gen 4 card works in on gen 3 board

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Like it was said before yes it's backward and forward compatible.  So yes a gen 4 card works in a gen 3 slot and vice versa. 

Also next nvidia gpu are supposed to be pcie gen4.

Also some motherboard manufacturer made z490 pcie gen4 compatible but for now intel don't have any pcie gen4 support on cpu. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

19 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Like it was said before yes it's backward and forward compatible.  So yes a gen 4 card works in a gen 3 slot and vice versa. 

Also next nvidia gpu are supposed to be pcie gen4.

Also some motherboard manufacturer made z490 pcie gen4 compatible but for now intel don't have any pcie gen4 support on cpu. 

I didn't know that z490 motherboards supports pcie gen4 but what i know is intel cpu dont lol thanks for that info i guess intel have to do something about it

On 8/17/2020 at 4:44 AM, AshSenpai said:

I didn't know that z490 motherboards supports pcie gen4 but what i know is intel cpu dont lol thanks for that info i guess intel have to do something about it

Intel is just not ready for pcie gen 4 ... about the same as 10nm I suppose ...

Well if boards (some or all I don't know) can support it we could hope that intel bring it to the next line of cpu and keep the same socket.  Not that it would make any differences for gpu (maybe for the 3090 super ti super somethin somethin) unless the low end ones are being on pcie gen4 x8 and that then it matters a bit ... like the rx5500 xt if I remember correctly. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD