Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nano Adam

Intel Optane Memory Separate

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am trying to make Optane Memory act as an SSD, but in the bios, I see the "Intel Rapid Technology" option, but inside of it, it shows my HDD and the 13.2 GB drive, but when I click on them, it doesn't give me any other option.

 

I have a HP laptop, cs0006st. I have read many HP forum posts, and can't seem to find a solution. 

 

Hopefully someone here may have some knowledge on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you trying to setup the caching? Or do you want them seprate as a seprate drive?

You can just format it and use it as a drive, or I think you need to install the optane app in windows 10 to use it as a cache drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you trying to setup the caching? Or do you want them seprate as a seprate drive?

You can just format it and use it as a drive, or I think you need to install the optane app in windows 10 to use it as a cache drive.

I am trying to use another OS besides Windows, and I want to use it as a separate drive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nano Adam said:

I am trying to use another OS besides Windows, and I want to use it as a separate drive. 

then you can just format and use it. That 13.2 gb drive is the optane module. The optane m.2 drives are just standard m.2 drives and will work like any other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then you can just format and use it. That 13.2 gb drive is the optane module. The optane m.2 drives are just standard m.2 drives and will work like any other.

The problem is that I cannot see it in the OS. (Elementary OS)

 

The bios ain't giving me an option either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nano Adam said:

The problem is that I cannot see it in the OS. (Elementary OS)

 

The bios ain't giving me an option either.

what do you see when you run lsblk in linux? or lspci?

 

You normally need to install a os on i before its bootable

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what do you see when you run lsblk in linux? or lspci?

 

You normally need to install a os on i before its bootable

sda                         8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1                      8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
└─sda2                      8:2    0   931G  0 part 
  ├─elementary--vg-root   253:0    0 930.1G  0 lvm  /
  └─elementary--vg-swap_1 253:1    0   976M  0 lvm  [SWAP]
 

And....

 

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f1)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Intel(R) 100 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller/eSPI Controller - 9D4E (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

seems like raid mode is on in the bios, can you turn it to ahci or off? The raid mode hides the drives from the os.

In Bios I see:

- Main

- Security

- System Configuration 

  - Language

  ...

  - Boot Options

    - USB Boot

    - Network Boot

    - Network Boot Protocol

    - Legacy Support

    - Secure Boot

  - UEFI Device Config

    - Intel Rapid Storage Technology

      - SATA 0.0 HGST .... 931.5GB

      - PCIe 1.0, INtel .... 13.4 GB

 

Then clicking on the drives just reveal info, and no way to change anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nano Adam said:

In Bios I see:

- Main

- Security

- System Configuration 

  - Language

  ...

  - Boot Options

    - USB Boot

    - Network Boot

    - Network Boot Protocol

    - Legacy Support

    - Secure Boot

  - UEFI Device Config

    - Intel Rapid Storage Technology

      - SATA 0.0 HGST .... 931.5GB

      - PCIe 1.0, INtel .... 13.4 GB

 

Then clicking on the drives just reveal info, and no way to change anything. 

Whats under system configuration? Whats under main?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats under system configuration? Whats under main?

 

 

Took pictures of the Bios.IMG_4872.thumb.JPG.3d06210313f9a5c7b0b7b57ca3004b7a.JPGIMG_4877.thumb.JPG.9254e8b1ad941fbcc111aa71ebf5d92b.JPGIMG_4876.thumb.JPG.78a847f1adc1c1a74c5673c7eae6f46e.JPGIMG_4875.thumb.JPG.378dbea7d910d8bdc785780d14d6ce26.JPGIMG_4874.thumb.JPG.b4199938fc01df28e8154b8f996ba4a7.JPGIMG_4873.thumb.JPG.566fa6a47d3f36cba79379fca00f12ea.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Took pictures of the Bios.

 

I don't see a option for change the settings of rst in the bios.

 

Either im missing it and someone else knows, or that bios is designed to only work with optane caching in windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't see a option for change the settings of rst in the bios.

 

Either im missing it and someone else knows, or that bios is designed to only work with optane caching in windows.

k. Do you think booting into windows, and enabling/disabling inside of Windows 10 could help? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nano Adam said:

k. Do you think booting into windows, and enabling/disabling inside of Windows 10 could help? 

Maybe if it lets you change settings for rst.

 

I wouldn't be suprised if you can't use the drive outsite of windows, there have been many features like that before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Maybe if it lets you change settings for rst.

 

I wouldn't be suprised if you can't use the drive outsite of windows, there have been many features like that before.

ooof. I hope there is an update on this in the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Maybe if it lets you change settings for rst.

 

I wouldn't be suprised if you can't use the drive outsite of windows, there have been many features like that before.

I just rememberd. So first I put PopOS, then I decided to put Zorin OS on it. Before I installed Zorin OS, I didn't remember that I needed RST in Zorin, but I remember seeing an option in the bios to turn it on/off, so maybe I install Windows, I might get that option back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×