Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
startrek03

Confusion about headphone amps

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm sort of confused about this whole headphone amplifier thing.

I have a DT 990 pro, which is 250 Ohm, a Yamaha AG03 and no headphone amp. I'm also not planning on upgrading right now.

Well, my confusion stems from the fact, that the AG03 can drive them painstakinkly loud, if I wanted to. At least that's what I feel. And if I understood everything correctly, an amplifier usually makes audio louder.

Considering, that I already feel like the DT990s sound pretty good with my current setup, I'm sort of confused about all that headphone amp fuzz...

Enlighten me, if you want.

An amp is for turning a line voltage from a DAC (digital to analog converter) into a higher voltage and for providing current capacity that a DAC isn't meant to handle. Your Yamaha AG03 has an amp built in, which is why it doesn't need an external amplifier.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

1 hour ago, startrek03 said:

I'm sort of confused about this whole headphone amplifier thing.

I have a DT 990 pro, which is 250 Ohm, a Yamaha AG03 and no headphone amp. I'm also not planning on upgrading right now.

Well, my confusion stems from the fact, that the AG03 can drive them painstakinkly loud, if I wanted to. At least that's what I feel. And if I understood everything correctly, an amplifier usually makes audio louder.

Considering, that I already feel like the DT990s sound pretty good with my current setup, I'm sort of confused about all that headphone amp fuzz...

Enlighten me, if you want.

Yes. An amplifier isn't needed if you already have a built in one. Except for maybe a PC mobo that isn't really fully capable of driving the 990's. But yeah @BobVonBob is right.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/Straight cable and Dekoni Elite Velour Pads 

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)