Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Communist_Empire

Nintendo Switch Lite - Worth It or Not?

7 hours ago, Communist_Empire said:

@Arika S Do you have to charge the joy cons all the time? Or do they charge while docked on the Switch? Would I have to buy a screen protector while the Switch is docked? What are the dimensions while the Switch is docked with joy cons on? Does this work with the original Switch? - https://www.imore.com/how-wirelessly-use-xbox-one-controller-nintendo-switch-lite#:~:text=Connecting your Xbox One Controller,a female USB-A port.&text=Press the sync button on,with the Magic-NS Adapter.  

The joy cons charge when connected to the switch, so when out of the dock in portable mode, you don't even have to think about it. 

Docked i've never had the batteries run out while playing, I reconnect them when ever i finish playing.

You don't have to buy a screen protector, i did because i prefer the look and feel of glass

About 22-23cm wide with joycons on.

i dont see why it wouldn't, but i have the pro controller. i dont even use a wireless adapter when i used my xbox one controller with my PC.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Sorry for the long post. I'm a PC Gamer really though, I did have and still have a Xbox One S. But the trouble I found was I could never make up my mind if I wanted to play on PC and Xbox. I found the choice difficult to make. Also, most Xbox games not all you can play on PC anyway. 

The reason I'd like a Nintendo Switch Lite is because it's very portable and take it anywhere with you. The games are really cheap on there and there's really good exclusives e.g. The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild and also Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and so many more. You can get some games for free with tokens as well. 

I'm not fussed playing on the TV because of the room I have and I want to spend $100 less compared to the original Nintendo Switch. I'd also get a grip, carrying case and a Micro SD card for it. But ideally I don't really want to spend a fortune on these. 

The point really I'm trying to make is it going to be waste of money and I won't bother using it or will I've been glad that I purchased it! 

What do you guys think? Please be honest and helpful. 

We're not you...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

The best part is the portability. I've used the heck out of my Switch, especially when traveling, but now with COVID-19, I'm working from home and not traveling any more, and I haven't touched the Switch in months. In short, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it in virtually any situation other than the current world we live in.

As far as Lite or not goes, playing a Switch on a TV is not a great experience anyways. It looks like hot garbage on my 4K TV, so I don't even bother. If they had had the Lite when I bought mine, I would have gotten the Lite.

I will be buying my wife one when the prices return to normal as we already have a Wii connected to the TV and don’t need the TV part.

If you just want a handheld device then it’s 100% worth it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

personally i would say no.

the versatility of the regular switch being able to be docked is the best. you may not think you want it now, but the option to play on a bigger screen is fantastic. The switch is probably my favourite console because of this.

Judge the product by it's own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Posted · Original PosterOP

@Arika S Do you have to charge the joy cons all the time? Or do they charge while docked on the Switch? Would I have to buy a screen protector while the Switch is docked? What are the dimensions while the Switch is docked with joy cons on? Does this work with the original Switch? - https://www.imore.com/how-wirelessly-use-xbox-one-controller-nintendo-switch-lite#:~:text=Connecting your Xbox One Controller,a female USB-A port.&text=Press the sync button on,with the Magic-NS Adapter.  

3 hours ago, Communist_Empire said:

Please be honest and helpful. 

I nephew plays the ever living crap out of his switch lite. Mostly Fortnite. I have one of the V1 Switches and I think the one that can dock is worth it. There are some games that just dont do well mobile as there are some games that dont do well on the TV. 

On a side note. Stardew Valley is a great mobile game, Highly suggest it. 

Posted · Best Answer
7 hours ago, Communist_Empire said:

The joy cons charge when connected to the switch, so when out of the dock in portable mode, you don't even have to think about it. 

Docked i've never had the batteries run out while playing, I reconnect them when ever i finish playing.

You don't have to buy a screen protector, i did because i prefer the look and feel of glass

About 22-23cm wide with joycons on.

i dont see why it wouldn't, but i have the pro controller. i dont even use a wireless adapter when i used my xbox one controller with my PC.

Judge the product by it's own merits, not by the Company that created it.

I don't know where you got Switch games are cheap. Switch is the most expensive platform to buy games on.

As for the games, Super Mario Odyssey is much better on your TV than handheld, mainly because of the motion controls when playing docked, but also because the game world is really impressive graphically (great art style trumps moar polygons). Zelda BOTW plays great handheld but I also prefer it on the bigscreen for its wide open views, and BOTW really is a game about exploration above all else. A lot of the other heavy hitters are better handheld though. Anything 2D I almost universally prefer to play handheld, eg stuff like Monster Boy, Dead Cells, Super Mario Maker 2, Zelda Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Crafted World, etc. And still some games like Mario Tennis Aces are better handheld IMO. Personally I'd spend the extra $100 for the Switch that actually switches. Switch has a great game library though and is far and away the GOAT handheld, so it's worth the money IMO. I was skeptical as hell about the system and really only bought it for Mario Odyssey and the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei V and because I had every other system I wanted and a PC that was still pretty strong at the time, but it has turned out to be far and away my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES and my favorite handheld ever.

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

There are some games that just dont do well mobile

Oh yeah forgot about that. For instance, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (great game BTW) looks like a really good Gamecube game when handheld, but looks reasonably modern docked. That's the one I can think of off the top of my head that just looks shit handheld though.

14 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

As far as Lite or not goes, playing a Switch on a TV is not a great experience anyways. It looks like hot garbage on my 4K TV, so I don't even bother. If they had had the Lite when I bought mine, I would have gotten the Lite.

Completely disagree, even though a lot of the games are 720p docked they still look great on my 1080p TV, so they have to look far better on a 4k TV when everything is given an integer scale. I wouldn't play Witcher 3 or Doom docked on a Swtich, but Nintendo first party titles like SMO and BOTW look amazing on a large screen IMO.

i have the switch. and i use it on handheld mode like 99% of the time.  however my joycons have had the drifting issue. so i repalced the analogs myself.

i think the switch lite is a great console. but i am afraid of the drifiting issue. sure it myt not happen for the first few months. but once it starts... ohhh man. seeing those teardowns on the switch lites are hard. since i dont wanna mess with the mainboard itself. at least the normal switch uses joycons which can be replaced. or easily repaired.

but if the switch never had a drifting issue at all. i would swap my switch for the switch lite

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

Ive been considering a switch lite, but I read that someone took it apart and found the same design flaws in the controller system that were causing joycons to fail in mass. A little sketched out that I wouldnt have the ability to replace them very easily if they broke, but honestly not sure about my sources, dont even remember where I read it, take it with a grain of salt.

Main Computer - Tempest

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3  ||||  GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER   ||||  16GB DDR3-1866   ||||  Asus H97-Plus   ||||  EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold 

500GB Samung 840EVO |  240GB Sandisk SSD Plus | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

HTPC - Kralkatorrik

Linux Mint   ||||   Intel Core i3-4170   ||||   GeForce GTX 750 Ti   ||||   8GB DDR3-1333   ||||   Asus B85M-E   ||||   Antec Signature 650W

120GB SSD

Laptop - Dell Latitude E4130

Linux Mint   |||   Intel Core i5-520m   |||   8GB DDR3L-1333   |||   152000mAh Custom Battery

120GB SSD

Windows NVIDIA GameStream Server - Dell Optiplex 790

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i5-2400   |||   8GB DDR3-1600  |||   GeForce GTX 1650 (Half Height)

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM

Minecraft Server

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS   |||  AMD Phenom II X4 945   |||   8GB DDR3-1333   |||   Asus M5A99FX-Pro   |||   EVGA 600BQ

8GB SATA SSD (for OS) | 250GB WD Black 7200RPM (for server files) | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM (Incremental Backups)

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Completely disagree, even though a lot of the games are 720p docked they still look great on my 1080p TV, so they have to look far better on a 4k TV when everything is given an integer scale. I wouldn't play Witcher 3 or Doom docked on a Swtich, but Nintendo first party titles like SMO and BOTW look amazing on a large screen IMO.

1080p isn't that much of a stretch, honestly, and most TVs have upscaling features to handle the artifacting... To a degree. 4K is four times as many pixels as 1080p, and 8 times as many pixels as 720p. No amount or type of upscaling is going to compensate for that. You're talking about having to divine 7 extra pixels for every one that's actually present.