Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spectre_laser97

Should I buy new power supply to replace my Seasonic M12II non-EVO 520W soon?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, let me first preface. I got this power supply for free from a university mentor I am good with along with a Z77 motehrboard, i5-3450 and a couple of RAM. I have since upgraded to a R5 3600 and RTX 2060. i noticed that even with a slight CPU OC, the power draw from the wall never exceed 380W so I was certain that I won't need to buy a new PSU. I have so far uase this power supply for more than a year with varying combination of hardware. First, I have the i5-3450 with R9 270X PCS+, then I upgraded to i7-3770 (slight OC to 4.1GHz) and RX 480 4GB nitro, upgraded to RTX 2060 on march and finally to 3600 since july. And i have been running F@H on GPU only since march (Though, I underclock my RTX 2060 to 1400MHz for this). So, this PSU has gone through a lot in the last year.

Recently, it came to my attention that the Seasonic M12II is not e very favourable PSU. It is in tier D in the PSU tier list with note saying issue with UVP and a couple of from threads such as this and this saying this is an PSU with old design. Now, I feel that the PSU has not cause any throuble in 1 year since I have used it and I am not planning to overclock my system any further (My Snowman M-X6 CPU cooler can only handle 100W and the RTX 2060 I bought is one of the cheapest model with power limit stuck at 160W max, which I don't mind). I innitially only planning to upgrade my PSU once I get a better CPU cooler for higher overclock. However, I do have some concern due to the threads and tier list that I may need to outright change the PSU due to its "cheapness". So, should I ?

i mean the psu is old and is subpart and heck isn't even made by seasonic afaik. 

i persoanlly would not pair it with a 2060 build. and considering it's been with you since z77 i would say replacing it would be a good move imo.

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

i mean the psu is old and is subpart and heck isn't even made by seasonic afaik. 

i persoanlly would not pair it with a 2060 build. and considering it's been with you since z77 i would say replacing it would be a good move imo.

I wanted to hold on a bit longer for a sale to upgrade to a better PSU honestly. I haven't encounter any issue honestly.

Edited by spectre_laser97
forgot to add quoting
10 hours ago, spectre_laser97 said:

for a sale to upgrade to a better PSU honestly.

fair enough i guess, though when possible, i would change it.

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.